auto lock screen on disconnect.

Michael Chang

Apr 15, 2021, 11:48:00 AM4/15/21
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
hello all,

I am using tigerVNC 1.8.0 on oracle linux 7.9

I have configured tigervnc to be stopped and started by systemd cleanly.

For security reasons, I would like to lock the vnc session if I disconnect from it.

I am at a loss on how to do that. Can anyone clue me in ?

Thanks,

Michael

Carlos Andres Vacas Andrade

May 20, 2022, 11:34:46 AM5/20/22
to TigerVNC User Discussion/Support
Were you able to find an answer? I need a way to do this as well.

DRC

May 20, 2022, 11:57:03 AM5/20/22
to tigervn...@googlegroups.com

If you are referring to locking an Xvnc session via the screensaver, then why is that needed?  You can configure the VNC session such that it requires TLS encryption and the user's Unix password in order to connect, or you can configure it to require SSH tunneling in order to connect.  Both of those methods would secure the VNC session a lot more effectively than enabling the screensaver in the session.  Enabling the screensaver is false security, because you ideally do not want unauthorized users to connect to the session in the first place.  In any case, the screensaver is a function of the window manager, and the mechanisms to programmatically activate it vary depending on the particulars of the window manager you are using.  Thus, there isn't much that the VNC server can do to control it.