Can I get a FPS in vncviewer?

pdg...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2015, 10:34:32 AM6/29/15
to tigervn...@googlegroups.com
These days, I using tiger vnc.

By the way, I want to know a FPS in many situations.

For example, playing movie, conversion computer screen and moving mouse.

Can I get a FPS in tigerVNC viewer?

Have function for showing fps in tigervnc viewer?

Or When can i modify any part?

DRC

Jun 29, 2015, 12:31:31 PM6/29/15
to tigervn...@googlegroups.com
VNC doesn't really have a concept of frames. The RFB protocol sends
"framebuffer updates", which can encompass anywhere from 1 pixel to the
entire screen, so the best that the VNC viewer could do is measure
pixels/second or updates/second or, from the network's point of view,
bits/second. In some cases, such as playing a movie, updates/second
might correspond to frames/second, but there is no way for the viewer to
know that. If you are trying to measure video playback, then you might
be able to use TCBench, which is a program provided in the VirtualGL
source tree. It latches onto an existing window and monitors a small
region of pixels (by default in the center of the window, but this is
configurable) and reports how often those pixels change. That can give
you a rough estimate of frame rate, as seen by the viewer.

Pierre Ossman

Jul 2, 2015, 6:49:30 AM7/2/15
to pdg...@gmail.com, tigervn...@googlegroups.com
I've been thinking about adding some debug output to the viewer, e.g.
an FPS counter and bandwidth and latency measurements. Could possibly
even render a crude graph of it on top of the display.

Nothing is in place right now though, and I'm not sure how best to do
it. You'll have to experiment.

--
Pierre Ossman Software Development
Cendio AB https://cendio.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

DRC

Jul 2, 2015, 10:17:51 AM7/2/15
to tigervn...@googlegroups.com
Adding an updates/sec counter is straightforward. In the FLTK viewer,
it would probably be sufficient to just print the statistics on the
command line if a certain parameter or environment variable is set.
Attaching a screenshot of the statistics that we use in TurboVNC. This
shows an application running in VirtualGL, so in that case, fps and
updates/sec are strongly correlated (but in the general case, they
aren't.) NOTE: the blit Mpixels/sec and time/update numbers are bogus,
because of the asynchronous nature of Java 2D.

The dialog updates every 5 seconds, so the values are either cumulative
or averages for that 5-second period.
Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 9.03.09 AM.png