Upgrader saved file name

A Gloom

Jul 16, 2019, 3:17:05 PM7/16/19
to TiddlyWikiDocs
Gentlepersons,

Finally, upgraded and I noticed the upgrader changes the wiki's file name for saving.  Has this caused confusion with unsuspecting users?  Perhaps an advisory note on the upgrader screen about having to rename their file in the browser's save window?

Jeremy Ruston

Jul 16, 2019, 4:23:54 PM7/16/19
to tiddlyw...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gloom

Finally, upgraded and I noticed the upgrader changes the wiki's file name for saving.  Has this caused confusion with unsuspecting users?  Perhaps an advisory note on the upgrader screen about having to rename their file in the browser's save window?

Interesting. The upgrader is actually just an ordinary TiddlyWiki with a plugin containing a handful of special components. I went back to have a look at them, and they’re 5 years old, pretty old for TW5:

Fixing things so the filename is reused is tricky because the import mechanism discards the filename when importing tiddlers from an HTML file, but I think it could be done.

I’m not sure it’s worth putting up an advisory notice; experience suggests that people don’t read them…

Best wishes

Jeremy

--
To post: TiddlyW...@googlegroups.com

A Gloom

Jul 17, 2019, 11:26:29 AM7/17/19
to tiddlyw...@googlegroups.com
I figured there was a technical reason for the behavior of the
upgrader-- an understanding that most don't have-- from experience as
you said-- first being an aerospace mechanic and wondering what the
heck were those engineers thinking and then getting into the design
side and realizing that's why.

This was with the online upgrader, but I believe the downloadable one
is the same beast. Changed the name to it's upgrade.html iirc. You
said it's basically an blank which I assume it imports the TW to be
upgraded because I saw my TW's browser tab title and top bar menu's
appear.

No worries about the advisory-- it was just a suggestion. I've done
technical writing and I sadly have to agree with you : )

Have you ever seen a military maintenance technical manual? You'll
know where I come from : (