How to deal with the <<list-links>> style of Documentation?

S. S.

Feb 18, 2019, 1:14:02 AM2/18/19
to TiddlyWikiDocs

Some weeks ago, an issue was opened on GitHub : #3664 DOCS: replace <<list-links ...>> with <<toc-tabbed-internal-nav ...>>

There are many high level topic tiddlers that create a <<list-links ... >> of their related field.

An example is the Widgets tiddler, that has a simple bulleted list of 46 Widgets.
I feel this is not an effective way to present information. A much better approach is the way Filter Operators is laid out in tables.

To see the top dozen examples of this (totalling abt. 350 listed tiddlers) : Open 12 main Tiddlers using simple Lists (+ Hidden Settings & Filter Operators)

I feel another presentation style is using a Tabbed Internal Table of Contents (toc-tabbed-internal-nav) - but that has met some legitimate resistance - that it does not display well on small width devices. An example for this ToC can be seen here: Beginners Help using a tabbed-internal ToC

As the issue is still up in the air, I decided to see how a table layout (like Filter Operators uses) would feel. I tried it on the Hidden Settings tiddler that lists just 8 tiddlers. The original list style can be seen towards the end of TW that shows the top dozen examples linked to above. This is how the new layout can look like: Hidden Settings

Decisions need to me made on how to proceed both for how to deal with this list-links style of presentation - and also on the display method for presenting a series of Introduction tiddlers for new users.

Please do contribute with your ideas and opinions.

Thanks.