[TiddlyDesktop] launching nwjs with some flags

Simon Huber

Feb 10, 2018, 1:10:49 AM2/10/18
to TiddlyWikiDev
Hello there,

I've set some chromium flags in TiddlyDesktop and some of them could be interesting to set by default.

There's a flag to show scrollbars as more narrow overlays so that they don't resize the content if it overflows
I've also set some flags to enable hardware acceleration where it wasn't enabled by default. I couldn't measure an improvement in performance, but subjectively I tend to experience a slight one.

I think it's interesting to explore some of the tweaks we can do with these chromium built-ins, maybe some make sense for everyone and can find their way into a future release?

just my thoughts, I like TD a lot and want to help improve where I can

all the best,
Simon

Simon Huber

Feb 10, 2018, 1:19:55 AM2/10/18
to TiddlyWikiDev
HERE's a link to the chromium project with a how-to about running it with flags

I've added my flags to the package.json in the source folder after cloning the TD repo. After that I built TD and the flags were enabled.

Alternativelly one can open chrome://flags frome within TD using the developer console and entering this.document.location = "chrome://flags"     ... (or chrome://gpu)

Jeremy Ruston

Feb 11, 2018, 8:21:11 AM2/11/18
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon

Excellent idea, I’ve added a button to the “settings” window that opens the “chrome://flags” page:

The settings appear to be retained across restarts. Chromium helpfully pops up a “restart now” button but I’m not sure whether it’s safe to use.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Simon Huber

Feb 11, 2018, 12:50:22 PM2/11/18
to TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Jeremy,

thank you, that's great! I don't now either if the restart button is safe, I didn't think about it and already clicked it more times, until now nothing strange happened
I'll report if something bad comes up that could be related.

Simon