Simple Hosted TiddlyWiki with App Engine + Backup to git

94 views
Skip to first unread message

Brandon Philips

unread,
Jun 8, 2020, 9:37:06 PM6/8/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
Hello Everyone-

I created a simple and inexpensive TiddlyWiki host on Google App Engine. The code is based on an older project but updated to work with modern versions of App Engine. As a bonus it optionally does a database backup to a git repo which can then be used with the node backend to generate a static site or just as a disaster recovery option.


My next step: Does anyone have a good setup to take a TiddlyWiki git repo and generate a static site on Netlify?

Thank You,

Brandon

TonyM

unread,
Jun 8, 2020, 11:57:26 PM6/8/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
Brandon,

This sounds like a wonderful contribution. I am keen to explore the possibilities, but I, perhaps like many, need to enter the field of the Google App Engine before we get up to speed. Only once we do this can we really understand the depth of this solution.

If you could share the features of resulting tiddlywikis, the pros and cons, with emphasis on it differences to other solutions would be wonderful because this will help people decide if it is appropriate to invest the time.

Thanks again, this hints at being a game changer for some applications.

Regards
Tony

Brandon Philips

unread,
Jun 9, 2020, 12:26:08 AM6/9/20
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tony-

Google App engine is really easy to use once you install their SDK and setup an account. This app will fit in their free tier I believe too.


After installing you can deploy this application using the CLI tool from a git checkout:

cd tiddly
gcloud --project=your-app app deploy

And finally you need to configure which Google accounts have access to this: https://github.com/philips/tiddly#authentication

The whole setup uses TiddlyWeb Plugin out of the box so it does the whole cloud sync thing.

Cheers,

Brandon

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TiddlyWikiDev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tiddlywikide...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/ee366c56-6eaf-4eb1-881e-059ddbb75b21o%40googlegroups.com.

TonyM

unread,
Jun 9, 2020, 12:30:18 AM6/9/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
Brandon,

Thanks I am working through this now.

may I respond here if I get stuck?

Regards
Tony


On Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 2:26:08 PM UTC+10, Brandon Philips wrote:
Hey Tony-

Google App engine is really easy to use once you install their SDK and setup an account. This app will fit in their free tier I believe too.


After installing you can deploy this application using the CLI tool from a git checkout:

cd tiddly
gcloud --project=your-app app deploy

And finally you need to configure which Google accounts have access to this: https://github.com/philips/tiddly#authentication

The whole setup uses TiddlyWeb Plugin out of the box so it does the whole cloud sync thing.

Cheers,

Brandon

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 8:57 PM TonyM <anthon...@gmail.com> wrote:
Brandon,

This sounds like a wonderful contribution. I am keen to explore the possibilities, but I, perhaps like many, need to enter the field of the Google App Engine before we get up to speed. Only once we do this can we really understand the depth of this solution.

If you could share the features of resulting tiddlywikis, the pros and cons, with emphasis on it differences to other solutions would be wonderful because this will help people decide if it is appropriate to invest the time.

Thanks again, this hints at being a game changer for some applications.

Regards
Tony



On Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 11:37:06 AM UTC+10, Brandon Philips wrote:
Hello Everyone-

I created a simple and inexpensive TiddlyWiki host on Google App Engine. The code is based on an older project but updated to work with modern versions of App Engine. As a bonus it optionally does a database backup to a git repo which can then be used with the node backend to generate a static site or just as a disaster recovery option.


My next step: Does anyone have a good setup to take a TiddlyWiki git repo and generate a static site on Netlify?

Thank You,

Brandon

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TiddlyWikiDev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tiddly...@googlegroups.com.

Brandon Philips

unread,
Jun 9, 2020, 12:33:20 AM6/9/20
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Sure, there is a broken link I just fixed in the README though for configuring IAP: https://github.com/philips/tiddly/blob/master/README.md#authentication

Brandon

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tiddlywikide...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/199fc4a7-d6c5-4f51-b81a-fe0a74e01edao%40googlegroups.com.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages