TiddlyFox threatened with extinction?

Memophenon

May 7, 2021, 5:52:50 PM5/7/21
to TiddlyWikiClassic
As far as I know the Pale Moon (PM) browser version 29.1.1 is the last place where TiddlyFox (TF) can live, since the new version 29.2.0 of last month doesn't support antediluvian extensions anymore. There is a discussion going on now about breeding a better fitting type of TF (Looking at porting some extensions for my own use; anyone else interested in these?).

Maybe just a handful of people including me is a current (and grateful!) user of the PM/TF combination, or otherwise interested in it. Is there any chance of supporting the afore-mentioned initiative by the TiddlyWiki makers? Or is PM regarded as a quantité négligeable and should we simply accept that TW is condemned to live within the TiddlyDesktop?

Yakov

May 7, 2021, 5:58:19 PM5/7/21
to TiddlyWikiClassic
Hi, have you seen the updated list of savers and the Timimi plugin for FireFox? Have you tried it? It repeats features of TiddlyFox in almost all aspects and provides even some more (including backuping options), so I really suggest you to try it out.

Best regards,
Yakov.
суббота, 8 мая 2021 г. в 00:52:50 UTC+3, puik...@gmail.com:

vay...@gmail.com

May 8, 2021, 3:28:19 AM5/8/21
to TiddlyWikiClassic
Hi Memophenon. Does that mean Waterfox Classic has stopped supporting old extensions? (I deliberately don't update it because I don't want all me set up to break if they change everything). I think I did try Timimi but in the past but there was some problem, but I'll try it again.

Saving TW is an ongoing saga!

vay...@gmail.com

May 8, 2021, 3:41:08 AM5/8/21
to TiddlyWikiClassic
Just tried Timimi with chrome on linux and get "failed network error" when I try to save.

Thanasis Sklapanis

May 8, 2021, 6:18:50 AM5/8/21
to TiddlyWikiClassic
Hello friends.
Have you tried the save tiddlers extension (https://github.com/buggyj/savetiddlers).
For me it works fine with TWC and Chrome Version 90.0.4430.93 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Hope it helps!

Memophenon Bouqliqlë

May 8, 2021, 9:38:02 AM5/8/21
to TiddlyWikiClassic
Hi vay...@gmail.com,
Shortly after having posted this issue I discovered the existence of Waterfox Classic. I seem to remember that TF didn't work on Waterfox, and indeed it still didn't on the laptop where I had installed the so-called Current version last summer. But the most recent Classic version I installed yesterday fulfils its promise: TF is fully functional in this browser! That makes my list of usable browsers:
  • Internet Explorer 2004 on Windows 10 (I'd rather avoid this one)
  • Waterfox Classic 2021.04.2
  • Pale Moon <= 29.1.1
  • Tiddly Desktop
There could be more suitable browsers around, so if anyone knows other ones, please tell us. I have yet to test Waterfox on the Mac. This machine is occupied at the moment, but you'll hear more from me.

Yakov

May 9, 2021, 4:42:01 AM5/9/21
to TiddlyWikiClassic
Hi Vayira,

Timimi works with TWC only in FireFox (latest versions), in Chrome it only supports TW5.

Support of TWC in Chrome by Timimi is possible in principle, but it requires elaborate update of TWC core which I haven't finished and unfortunately it's not probable that I'll find time for that in the nearest future.

Best regards,
Yakov.

суббота, 8 мая 2021 г. в 10:41:08 UTC+3, vay...@gmail.com:

Memophenon

May 9, 2021, 8:10:32 AM5/9/21
to TiddlyWikiClassic

My latest findings concerning TiddlyFox on Waterfox Classic: it also works on macOS. But I have my doubts about the life expectancy of this browser. See the comments in Waterfox 2021.04 Release.

A brighter future may shine for Timimi (thank you, @Yakov!). It has a lot of backup options. Reviews:

  • 747 Firefox users, ***** out of 14 reviews
  • 2.000+ Chromium family users, *** out of 7 reviews

I hadn't seen Yakov's last post while testing all kind of configurations. Now the work is done, I might as well publish the results:

  • Firefox on Windows and macOS: works for TW 2.5.0 and TW 2.9.2.
  • TW 2.5.0 in Chrome/Edge/Brave on Windows and macOS: does not work. TW pops up its error message "This page says: It's not possible to save changes…".
  • TW 2.9.2 in Chrome/Edge on Windows: TW is saved in Downloads folder, no backup
  • TW 2.9.2 in Brave on Windows and Chrome/Brave on macOS: you can choose the destination folder in a pop-up window, no backup

So Firefox is fully back in the playing field! And I haven't seen any Chromium-based browser benefiting from the add-on. I wonder where those 3 stars come from.

Memophenon

May 9, 2021, 10:01:56 AM5/9/21
to TiddlyWikiClassic
 I wonder where those 3 stars come from. As an answer to my own remark: probably from TW 5 users. I must have been exhausted by all the testing when writing this.

vay...@gmail.com

May 10, 2021, 3:14:42 AM5/10/21
to TiddlyWikiClassic
Thanks Yakov. I just tested Timimi with TWC in firefox and it appears to work correctly there. That is good to know in case waterfox classic dies at some point.

Yakov

May 10, 2021, 3:14:20 PM5/10/21
to TiddlyWikiClassic
Thanks for thorough testing!

[...]

Wait, are you saying that Timimi actually works with 2.9.2 in Chrome (but only in Downloads folder)? That's something that I didn't know, I should take a closer look.

Memophenon

May 10, 2021, 3:40:44 PM5/10/21
to TiddlyWikiClassic
Yes, even without having Timimi installed... er, no, it turns out to be standard behavior of the Chromium family. Somehow TW 2.9.2 triggers their download mechanism, where TW 2.5.0 doesn't. So I have to disappoint you in this respect.

elsd...@gmail.com

May 12, 2021, 4:39:46 AM5/12/21
to TiddlyWikiClassic
On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 12:40:44 PM UTC-7 puik...@gmail.com wrote:
Yes, even without having Timimi installed... er, no, it turns out to be standard behavior of the Chromium family. Somehow TW 2.9.2 triggers their download mechanism, where TW 2.5.0 doesn't. So I have to disappoint you in this respect.

The "fallback" download saver handler was added to TWClassic in version 2.8.1 (the last revision that I was responsible for).  Saving in older versions (i.e., TW2.5.0) only work with browsers that still support privileged file I/O functions.

-e

Memophenon

Sep 14, 2021, 4:33:30 PM9/14/21
to TiddlyWikiClassic
As a conclusion of my original post, I want to mention that TiddlyFox has been converted to TiddlyMoon as a Pale Moon extension. The maker had to fall back to the second last version of TiddlyFox for his work, but I can't see any harm done this way.