Single Tiddler Mode: Bring it up again

Mohammad

Aug 21, 2019, 5:30:00 AM8/21/19
to TiddlyWiki
Based on the proposal by Jeremy here

As @twMat noted in #1938 nearly three years ago, the current "zoomin" storyview suffers from some annoying limitations/quirks. This PR adds a proper "single tiddler mode" to the core in which only a single tiddler is displayed in the story river.

I would like to bring up this case again! There are occasions you need a single tiddler at a time in story view now this is done using the zoomin story view!
It has some issues for example the animation effects when you would like to navigate among tiddlers which cover the whole screen.

Other references

Cheers
Mohammad

Mohammad

Jan 17, 2020, 7:13:11 AM1/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy,

 Is there any chance to have a look at this PR and bring us the real single tiddler mode.
This is crucial for Tiddlyshow plugin: https://github.com/kookma/Tiddlyshow
 As I see flickering screen when a tiddler cover the whole screen and one navigates through tiddlers in story river.

--Mohammad

Chuck R.

Jan 17, 2020, 7:38:27 AM1/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
By "single user tiddler" do we mean when we give a link to a specific tiddler to another user (not the TW creator) then they cannot navigate to other tiddlers, they can only see that tiddler the link is for? I'd like that. My TW is on Tiddlyspot.

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 7:13:11 AM UTC-5, Mohammad wrote:
Hi Jeremy,

Jeremy Ruston

Jan 17, 2020, 8:17:25 AM1/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad

 Is there any chance to have a look at this PR and bring us the real single tiddler mode.

I had rather forgotten about it. I had a look over the PR, and updated it with the latest changes from “master”. As the discussion shows, it is not ready to merge, but doesn’t need much more work.

This is crucial for Tiddlyshow plugin: https://github.com/kookma/Tiddlyshow
 As I see flickering screen when a tiddler cover the whole screen and one navigates through tiddlers in story river.

Is this problem fixed with the Single Tiddler Mode PR? The only change in zoomin mode is the way way that only a single tiddler is kept in the storyview at once. The animation logic is the same.

Best wishes

Jeremy

--Mohammad

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 2:00:00 PM UTC+4:30, Mohammad wrote:
Based on the proposal by Jeremy here

As @twMat noted in #1938 nearly three years ago, the current "zoomin" storyview suffers from some annoying limitations/quirks. This PR adds a proper "single tiddler mode" to the core in which only a single tiddler is displayed in the story river.

I would like to bring up this case again! There are occasions you need a single tiddler at a time in story view now this is done using the zoomin story view!
It has some issues for example the animation effects when you would like to navigate among tiddlers which cover the whole screen.

Other references

Cheers
Mohammad

Jeremy Ruston

Jan 17, 2020, 8:18:17 AM1/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Chuck,

No. There are more details in the PR, but this is basically about fixing some issues with the zoomin storyview; to casual users there’s not much difference.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Mohammad Rahmani

Jan 17, 2020, 8:56:49 AM1/17/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy
Many thanks.

Is this problem fixed with the Single Tiddler Mode PR? The only change in zoomin mode is the way way that only a single tiddler is kept in the storyview at once. The animation logic is the same.

 Well, I am not 100% sure, but referring to our previous discussion, I was advised to use zoomin view.

Press set for presentation
Open the first slide: Tutorial Title Page
Click on the top right button on the tiddler to go to full screen and navigate through slides by using arrow keys

Issue
When you navigate forward and backward, you see scrollbars (horizontal and vertical) for a microsecond and screen flicker.
I set the size of tiddler to 99% of screen size! no success.

Right now both classic and zoomin story view show this issue!

Best wishes
Mohammad

Jeremy Ruston

Jan 17, 2020, 9:39:36 AM1/17/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohammad

 Well, I am not 100% sure, but referring to our previous discussion, I was advised to use zoomin view.

Press set for presentation
Open the first slide: Tutorial Title Page
Click on the top right button on the tiddler to go to full screen and navigate through slides by using arrow keys

Issue
When you navigate forward and backward, you see scrollbars (horizontal and vertical) for a microsecond and screen flicker.
I set the size of tiddler to 99% of screen size! no success.

Right now both classic and zoomin story view show this issue!

I can’t duplicate this issue on my Mac, I’ll try it on a Windows machine when I can.

But from your description I’d be fairly confident that this issue won’t be affected by the single tiddler mode changes.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Mohammad Rahmani

Jan 17, 2020, 9:45:52 AM1/17/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Jeremy!
 In my Windows machines (laptop, and a widescreen desktop) I see this issue (flickering and small appearance of both scrollbars).

Best wishes
Mohammad

Jeremy Ruston

Jan 17, 2020, 9:55:27 AM1/17/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohammad

OK I can see it running Windows in a VM.

Have you tried using CSS to hide the scroll bars?

body {
overflow: none;
}

The catch is that you’d probably want to only conditionally apply that setting in full screen mode.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Mohammad Rahmani

Jan 17, 2020, 12:42:43 PM1/17/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,
 Yes, I tried

body {
overflow: none;
}

and also  overflow: none; for all tc-body and tc-tiddler-frame, tc-story-river

Still no success! I am not sure if it is an animation effect. But what I see is the scrollbars come and disappear.

--Mohammad

Best wishes
Mohammad

Mohammad Rahmani

Jan 17, 2020, 12:44:22 PM1/17/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
This is the stylesheet is used at showtime or full-screen mode.

/* hide the edit toolbars*/
.tc-tiddler-controls{
  display:none;
}

body.tc-body .tc-story-river {
  width:100%;
}

body.tc-body .tc-storyview-zoomin-tiddler{
top:0;
left:0;
margin:0;
width:100%;
}

body.tc-body .tc-tiddler-frame {
    border: 0;
    height:100vh;
}

/* hide the sidebar */
.tc-sidebar-scrollable {width:0; display:none;}

/* hide the sidebar arrow */
.tc-topbar .tc-image-chevron-right {display:none;}
.tc-topbar .tc-image-chevron-left {display:none;}

body.tc-body .tc-tiddler-view-frame .tc-subtitle,
body.tc-body .tc-tiddler-view-frame .tc-tags-wrapper {
    display: none;
}

Best wishes
Mohammad

Message has been deleted

Hubert

Jan 17, 2020, 4:12:10 PM1/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad,

I don't have a solution but just wanted to report that I'm having the exact same issue you're describing. Zoomin is my default setting.

The issue occurs on Chrome on Windows and on Chrome for Android.

I don't see it occuring on FF (whether Windows or Android).

Regards,
Hubert

A Gloom

Jan 17, 2020, 11:47:16 PM1/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad

I get the quick flash of scrollbars with Win8.1/latest FF-- youe height works fine, the tiddler size remains constant--

overflow:hidden I believe can suppress scrollbars till something more permanent is done with the core code

hidden
Content is clipped if necessary to fit the padding box. No scrollbars are provided, and no support for allowing the user to scroll (such as by dragging or using a scroll wheel) is allowed. The content can be scrolled programmatically (for example, by setting the value of a property such as offsetLeft), so the element is still a scroll container.

A Gloom

Jan 17, 2020, 11:59:22 PM1/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
correction:

I get the flicker when I have the browser's zoom increased (normally zoomed in since my system runs at 150% dpi)-- Mohammad, is the zoom of your browser set above the standard 100% (on FF that's no zoom)?   Browser zoom cna play tricks on such things.

Mohammad

Jan 18, 2020, 1:28:59 AM1/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Gloom, Hubert,

As suggested by Gloom, I could temporarily suppress the flickering!

As Jeremry advised and Gloom corrected I added

body{
overflow:hidden;
}

in my showtime CSS.

body{
overflow:none;

did not worked! none should be hidden.

By the way my showtime CSS only is in use when I go to slideshow mode!

--Mohammad

P.s: On FF/Win10 without above fix still you see flickering!

Mohammad

Jan 18, 2020, 3:01:58 AM1/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi again Jeremy,
 Using classic or zoomin, is there any animation duration anywhere except the one it i set from $:/ControlPanel.

While I used
body {
overflow: hidden;
}

I feel there is a lag or delay time in displaying contents, when in full screen one navigates through tiddlers.
Strangely not on all tiddlers.

--Mohammad

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 6:25:27 PM UTC+3:30, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
Hi Mohammad

OK I can see it running Windows in a VM.

Have you tried using CSS to hide the scroll bars?

body {
overflow: none;
}

The catch is that you’d probably want to only conditionally apply that setting in full screen mode.

Best wishes

Jeremy
Hi Mohammad

Best wishes
Mohammad

Hi Mohammad

Jeremy Ruston

Jan 18, 2020, 3:08:32 AM1/18/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohammad

I think that's just that the zoomin storyview renders the new tiddler offscreen before it is animated into view.

Best wishes

Jeremy

On 18 Jan 2020, at 08:02, Mohammad <mohammad...@gmail.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/2766eb62-75f3-4122-9225-2ae424156ba8%40googlegroups.com.

A Gloom

Jan 18, 2020, 5:19:00 AM1/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad.

The post with the instructions to view the issue is gone so I'm going by memory but when I clicked the presentation button or the tiddler link it didn't go into full-screen mode (the sidebar and browser chrome remained)-- did I miss a step?  This topic/thread has been acting strangely-- I didn't see the rest of the dialouge between you and Jeremy either before I posted.

Mohammad

Jan 18, 2020, 7:31:01 AM1/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Jeremy!

I will go through it! I do not think TW scripts used in Tiddlyshow are slow as TW itself is very fast!
but I suspect the lag may be because of bad or slow Tiddlyshow scripts.

I also would like to see how story view works!

--Mohammad

On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 11:38:32 AM UTC+3:30, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
Hi Mohammad

I think that's just that the zoomin storyview renders the new tiddler offscreen before it is animated into view.

Best wishes

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/2766eb62-75f3-4122-9225-2ae424156ba8%40googlegroups.com.

Mohammad

Jan 18, 2020, 7:33:36 AM1/18/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 1:49:00 PM UTC+3:30, A Gloom wrote:
Hi Mohammad.

The post with the instructions to view the issue is gone so I'm going by memory but when I clicked the presentation button or the tiddler link it didn't go into full-screen mode (the sidebar and browser chrome remained)-- did I miss a step?  This topic/thread has been acting strangely-- I didn't see the rest of the dialouge between you and Jeremy either before I posted.

Mohammad

Jan 20, 2020, 1:31:17 AM1/20/20
to TiddlyWiki
For those interested in a single tiddler story view

Mohammad

Jan 20, 2020, 11:08:37 PM1/20/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hubert,
 Check the discussion goes here

--Mohammad

Hubert

Jan 21, 2020, 5:41:23 AM1/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad, many thanks for the heads up. I'm following closely.

Best,
Hubert