Just a bit of a test

HansWobbe

Oct 19, 2019, 11:37:35 AM10/19/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
This post is simply a bit of  a test of some insights into the use of Google Groups for documentation.

Preamble:
  • ... Pending items (unordered lists) generally appear before Done items (Ordered lists) which appear in reverse  chronological order.
    • consider the relative positions of Lede and Preamble
    • can there be a Preamble in each Chapter or other section?
    • test the new mardown solution in this environment
    • ...
  • ( notWords )h_tag

  • try listing a few "#a AND #b"  searches
    • IF( worthWhile ) THEN suggest a few logical additional tags
      • the tag limit seems to be 15 per Post, but not one of a set of 15.
      • Digits might aid in defining Importance, Category, Version, Date, Sequence, ...
        • syntax might help
    • ...
  • Continue testing the limits of styling this post to make it more informative.
    • Try using MarkdownHere formatting.
  • ...

Do:
  • Remember that Edits will "pop" a thread.
  • Only add Tags to a post after adding some pertinent explanatory text.
Done:
  1. Preamble
    1. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/tiddlywiki/Preamble%7Csort:date
  2. It was marked 'Complete' after a few Replies were posted.
  3. the decision to restrict Tagging to moderators simple means that nonWords should be used as an index to posts.
    1. these can be particularly useful if they are added to Tagged posts since that would make for a more convenient .se(arch)
  4. review this different numbering pattern ; ...
* ( a_tag h_tag z_tag ) ; review the status of these (deprecated) Tags

^

Mohammad

Oct 19, 2019, 11:40:17 AM10/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
This is a  test reply!

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 7:07:35 PM UTC+3:30, HansWobbe wrote:
This post is simply a bit of  test of some recent insights into Google Groups.

* I intend to 'close' it after posting a few Replies.

That being said, I should at least use this as an opportunity to again Thank one and all for participating in this community; making it a worth-while learning environment.

Best regards to all,

~Hans

Sycom

Oct 19, 2019, 12:38:44 PM10/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
And now we're very curious of what this test is about...

Please don't let us die wondering ;-)

Sylvain
@sycom

HansWobbe

Oct 19, 2019, 3:58:38 PM10/19/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
(starting to use this this Post as a bit of a pathCascade for ContentH)
  • given that tags can only be created by moderators, it seems efficient to re-use the existing ones
  • displayed summaries seem to be the first content.  It is therefore possible to edit these to create "current" headings.
  • ...

----

Ooops.

I certainly did not intend to create a case of "Curiosity killed the cat.".  This is especially the case since I am just trying to satisfy my own curiosity about whether or not a GG thread might be made into a more effective source of documentation by editing it quietly, after it has been closed.

----

next steps:
  • review
    • style capabilities
    • search capabilities
  • ...

First response:

As it turns out, this tiddler is the first of my responses to appear in this thread (after those that have been marked Complete)  As such, its position may make it useful in a documentation role.

^

Sylvain Comte

Oct 19, 2019, 4:30:12 PM10/19/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
:-D

Le sam. 19 oct. 2019 à 21:58, HansWobbe <hww...@gmail.com> a écrit :
Ooops.

I certainly did not intend to create a case of "Curiosity killed the cat.".  This is especially the case since I am just trying to satisfy my own curiosity about whether or not a GG thread might be made into a more effective source of documentation by editing it quietly, after it has been closed.

TonyM

Oct 19, 2019, 7:55:39 PM10/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
On my mobile I marked your last reply as my favorite answer.

Just fyi

HansWobbe

Oct 20, 2019, 4:34:21 AM10/20/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Of course, now I have to figure out how to close the thread since the "Mark as complete" link does not seem to be onviously present to me as an Author.  Sigh...

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 7:55:39 PM UTC-4, TonyM wrote:
On my mobile I marked your last reply as my favorite answer.

Just fyi

@ TonyM:

Thanks!  That is the effect I wanted.

I'm still not sure why I could not find the control to do that but at least I can get on with my little test.  I'll check my Mobile to see if that is where the control is.

Regards,
Hans

P.S.:  Apparently a subsequent Edit removes the effect.

@TiddlyTweeter

Oct 20, 2019, 7:44:44 AM10/20/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Hans

As far as I understand it the AUTHOR of a thread can't close it. WHY? No idea. Makes no sense.

Google Groups, TBH, is one of the least maintained Google services. Its kinda crude.

FYI, I tend to IGNORE if a thread is closed in our group because often it happens by ACCIDENT.
One fat finger in the wrong place does it. A lot of the time that fat finger was UN-intended.
So I'm not sure its meaningful. I'm not sure folk bother about it.

Next I'M  now gonna consciously close ("Mark as complete") this thread (let me know if you want me to undo that! :-).

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Oct 20, 2019, 7:54:19 AM10/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Hans

Here is a post-completion post :-)

Regarding the layout possibilities for GG. They are actually better than you might think.

There are some elegantly formatted groups.

The problem is its all rather esoteric how to do it. Though cut-n-paste of HTML page bits can work quite well.

Best wishes
TT

HansWobbe

Oct 20, 2019, 7:57:56 AM10/20/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Josiah.

It does indeed seem strange that the initial Author cannot close a thread.  There's likely an archaic reason for that, but I am not going to worry about it.

What I was curious about is the idea of editing the first post of a thread to provide a summary of the thread and its following Posts.  Initially this seemed like a good idea since (for better or worse) we do tend to accumulate content in these threads..  Of course, it would be necessary to post an "updated" post, so that the folk that read via email would be notified, but that should be simple.

I guess if an Author wanted to self-Close, a second google ID might be useful.  They seem to encourage that.

Thanks for re-closing.

Best,
Hans

Hans

@TiddlyTweeter

Oct 20, 2019, 8:09:50 AM10/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Hans

I think its a really good idea that (in deserving cases) that the first post is updated with anything that brings it together (I think you could also edit the SUBJECT?).

It might be "poor man's documentation" but its still a zillion times better than the random farago of finding stuff that users currently face.

My 2 cents.

TT

HansWobbe wrote:
... What I was curious about is the idea of editing the first post of a thread to provide a summary of the thread and its following Posts.  Initially this seemed like a good idea since (for better or worse) we do tend to accumulate content in these threads..  Of course, it would be necessary to post an "updated" post, so that the folk that read via email would be notified, but that should be simple.

HansWobbe

Oct 20, 2019, 8:56:18 AM10/20/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
It does indeed seem to be possible to edit the first Post after a Thread has been marked as Complete, without disturbing its Complete status.

Further evaluation of the idea now seems useful.

Perhaps "Completed" Posts are moved into the "Completed" section?
  • testing the ability to subsequently edit such posts.
    • suggests that this can be a "continued" area that can be used as a cascadeTo zone for content accumulating in the initial Post
  • Tiddlers in the "All replies can also be edited, effectively extending the "cascade"
  • Additional Posts to a thread will then (periodically) "announce" a new "release of the Thread.
Add a few small tags tests using the "a_tag" & "z_tag".
  • add links for these .se(arches), like ...

Foreword:

Observation(s):

It seems that the non-Author who marks the thread Completed moves up to the position immediately below the Original post.  Perhaps this makes it possible to edit the first Post without reverting the Completed state.  This subsequent edit tested that assumption, with a positive result.

<hr>

This section is a bit of an experiment regarding the HTML capabilities that are available within Google Groups.
  1. ...
  2. The position of a Post in a Thread may be useful
  3. Clearly, <hr> is not supported.

Considerations:
  • How is it that there are now two Completed posts?
    • Could this be used to create a form of Folded MicroContent?
  • This might combine well with the ability to search for multiple tags.

Best regards to all,

~Hans

Conclusions:

Google Search is more powerful than I realized.  It allows:
  • s.(earch) for specific, arbitrary strings like "GgTwHw"
    • ( ... ).s or s.( ... )
  • ( #tags ).s
  • ...

  1. encoding is needed for exotic characters
    1. ...
  2. ...

EndNote(s):

(1): That being said, I should at least use this as an opportunity to again Thank one and all for participating in this community; making it a worth-while learning environment.

(2): replace "(2)" with the single UniCoce character, perhaps from the UniCode sets, like ...

| 日 |

(3): "Exotic characters" & strings Test(s)
| GgTwHw | EndNote(s) ... |

| 🔝 |

|🐟 |a UniCode "tiddler" symbol |

(4): ...

TonyM

Oct 20, 2019, 5:59:24 PM10/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
A Quick observation

On marking a reply as my favorite using my mobile, the possibility to tick another reply disappears, you must locake the original green tick and click to remove before it will appear as an option on other replies.

Right now I can see Hans previous post marked complete by Mohammad and have an option to unmark as complete. At the top of the thread I am seeing this.

gg.jpg

You will note the fact of completion and the unmark is also "published here"

  • How did this thread get into this format?
  • I am aware of a setting in GG (in the past) that treats a group as for use as an online forum rather than pure email forum. But I can't explore this now because I am not an administrator.
It is a common issue with my business clients to move to a new solution without first understanding the existing one, lets keep this up. If anyone has a holistic undertstanding of GG please publish and overview and some of its quirks.

Regards
Tony

On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 11:56:18 PM UTC+11, HansWobbe wrote:
It does indeed seem to be possible to edit the first Post after a Thead has been marked as Complete, without disturbing its Complete status.

HansWobbe

Oct 21, 2019, 3:30:33 PM10/21/19
to TiddlyWiki
Tony:

Thanks for the additional Observation.

I agree that there seems to be value in exploring this idea at least a bit further.  After all, this Google Groups environment is well entrenched, so we should at least make the best of it.

Cheers,
Hans

HansWobbe

Oct 21, 2019, 3:39:45 PM10/21/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
  1. Injecting a new firstLine changes the displayed content.
  2. For "More...", open my successive Posts in this Thread
  3. MicroContent cascades through successive my Posts
  4. Now testing MarkdownHere.
  5. ...

  1.  Added this Post to the thread to "bump" it for those who use eMail readers. ~Hans

HansWobbe

Oct 24, 2019, 5:56:24 PM10/24/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
* The existing Google Search Options are very useful.
** 2020.03.26 :craft some more specific links
* I finally realized that AND searches on tags are possible.  It might be possible to incorporate suggested combinations into this Thread.
  • Link to the more extensive suggestions that have appeared.
    • Consider using tags to craft such links
  • 2020.06.13: Confirm that the Search Selection has changed recently.
    • decide how this will affect my usage pattern(s)

Hans Wobbe

Nov 14, 2020, 9:03:35 AM11/14/20
to TiddlyWiki
TT's interest in Germanic word structures is based on the concepts underlying an AgglutinativeLanguage.  These concepts were also applied by WardCunningham in creating CamelCase Page names

Hans Wobbe

Nov 30, 2020, 12:48:59 AM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Since it is no longer possible to edit a post, it may be effective to simply add a revised copy to the end of the thread and delete the prior instance.

I intend to slowly determine how effective this may be by appending to this thread and occasionally deleting its older posts.

TiddlyTweeter

Nov 30, 2020, 7:19:33 AM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Hans

The problem will be that we would add verbiage. Previously one EDITED and sent notice of change to alert those on email. That was pretty gawky already.
Adding full duplicates with mods doesn't fit with reading online really. It is unneeded hassle. Just complicates basic reading.

Frankly I think the REDUCTION of basic function on GG (if it persists) is a serious barrier to clean communication. it is not just "edit" that is currently off-mark. It is MULTIPLE functions. It is WEIRD that one is faced with a WORSE GG, not a better one.

Frankly I cannot see ANY benefit in the GG changes so far worth the salt.

 Best wishes
TT

Hans Wobbe

Apr 8, 2021, 9:05:13 AM4/8/21
to TiddlyWiki
Reviewing this OLD thread in order to assess the impact of the changes that have emerged as part of the NEW googleGroups