Nervous about GOOGLE ranking ...

Josiah

Jun 13, 2016, 1:50:29 PM6/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
One of my sites i spent years getting top Google ranking.

I am NERVOUS about taking it to  TiddlyWiki, even though its a good fit and the site needs updating.

I have asked questions like this  before but got no answers.

- What happens to TW's under Google robots?

- Would Google recognize the richness of my TW page AS IF it were a site?

- How can I MAXIMIZE chances of decent Google ranking for a one-pager?

Best wishes
Josiah

Mark S.

Jun 13, 2016, 2:47:47 PM6/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
Is there a way to tell what the rankings are for tiddlywiki.com and various pages at tiddlyspot? That would give you an idea what G. thinks of TW.

As an experiment, I tried looking for a few things forcing the site:

jeremy site:tiddlywiki.com
encryption site:tiddlywiki.com
edit widget site:tiddlywiki.com

Typically, the static version of the search page came up #1, but #2 was often the perma-link version. This suggests that G's robots know how to run and interpret javascript, which I found surprising (I could imagine the search robot getting locked in a loop).

Mark

Jeremy Ruston

Jun 13, 2016, 3:01:12 PM6/13/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Apparently, Google Webmaster Tools lets you explore how Google sees your site:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/

I haven’t enabled it for tiddlywiki.com, but you should be able to run it against your own site to understand what’s going on.

By the way, the Google crawler has been executing JavaScript for a year or two now. My guess is that it doesn’t simulate any events, so it’s only going to see the content displayed in your default tiddlers (but it would be interesting to confirm that).

Best wishes

Jeremy

Josiah

Jun 13, 2016, 3:46:14 PM6/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S., you underline that Google can wade through JavaScript. Maybe i need, also, for my security, to do redirects to what were well indexed pages to tiddlers?

Jeremy, Maybe a good basic step would be to expose as many tiddlers as possible on entry?

I'm willing to learn but getting such good rankings as I got was not easy.

Josiah

RichardWilliamSmith

Jun 13, 2016, 8:08:08 PM6/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Josiah,

You can use TW to publish a static site, like Jeremy does at tiddlywiki.com/static/ . If you, for example, search Google for "tiddlywiki default tiddlers" you should see (if your results match mine from Australia) that the top hit is a link to the main wiki (http://tiddlywiki.com/#Configuring%20the%20default%20TiddlerInfo%20tab) but the second is a link to one of the static pages (http://tiddlywiki.com/static/Page%2520and%2520tiddler%2520layout%2520customisation.html).

I don't know very much about SEO but I know there are lots of factors involved in gaining and keeping a good ranking - if you've previously done this for yourself then there is a very real chance that you know more about it than any of the rest of us, which may be why you didn't receive an answer to your enquiries in the past.

"a good basic step would be to expose as many tiddlers as possible on entry"

Do you mean opening all the tiddlers on load? You'd surely then just publish a static site, no? Unless you need the functionality of TW thereafter - is it a big site or a little one and what did you use to publish it previously?

Regards,
Richard

nicolas...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2016, 4:15:38 AM6/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

[That's my first message here ;)]

1. Don't forget that you can add a $:/tags/RawMarkup tag to add some SEO content in the generated HTML file. For exemple: meta description, og:graph, etc.
Please have a look here: http://nfriedli.github.io/devenir-protestant/#%24%3A%2FOpenGraph

2. The default tiddlers (your default homepage...) are really important for Google. Choose these tiddlers carefully and your SEO is OK!

-- n.

Jeremy Ruston

Jun 14, 2016, 5:05:31 AM6/14/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicolas

[That's my first message here ;)]

Welcome to the group. Showing a fully functional site with neat enhancements is a great way to make an entrance!

1. Don't forget that you can add a $:/tags/RawMarkup tag to add some SEO content in the generated HTML file. For exemple: meta description, og:graph, etc.
Please have a look here: http://nfriedli.github.io/devenir-protestant/#%24%3A%2FOpenGraph

You may want to switch the type of $:/OpenGraph to text/plain so that the content will be displayed in normal view mode.

2. The default tiddlers (your default homepage...) are really important for Google. Choose these tiddlers carefully and your SEO is OK!

The other thing to look at is the shadow tiddler $:/core/templates/static.content; it is used to generate the static content that is visible when JavaScript isn’t available (and the file is not encrypted). You could override it to transclude the default tiddlers, or to have custom content. This is the text that is seen by search engines that don’t have Google’s capability to execute JavaScript.

Best wishes

Jeremy

-- n.

Le lundi 13 juin 2016 19:50:29 UTC+2, Josiah a écrit :
One of my sites i spent years getting top Google ranking.

I am NERVOUS about taking it to  TiddlyWiki, even though its a good fit and the site needs updating.

I have asked questions like this  before but got no answers.

- What happens to TW's under Google robots?

- Would Google recognize the richness of my TW page AS IF it were a site?

- How can I MAXIMIZE chances of decent Google ranking for a one-pager?

Best wishes
Josiah

Josiah

Jun 14, 2016, 8:04:29 AM6/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Richard

Its a medium sized. But its basically just a series of portals to images & Flash galleries. So the page load is very low. If interested in looking its here in the format that will be retired: http://www.weyersberg.eu/

Yeah, good SEO stuff is quite complex. Understanding transferring legacy without losing current ranking is vital. So, my concern about TW is figuring out how to keep the current ranking whilst transitioning to a new design. TW is, I think, ideal from the point of view of long term maintenance. I always been stuck in past between over complex CMS or laborious static. TW is, I think, very flexible & quick solution for the kind of site that is.

Thanks for the comments about static TW. I'll have to play around a bit, I think, with that more.

Best
Josiah

Josiah

Jun 14, 2016, 8:08:48 AM6/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Nicolas

And welcome.

Its VERY helpful to see that concrete example.

Thank you.

Best wishes
Josiah

Jeremy Ruston

Jun 14, 2016, 8:14:58 AM6/14/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Just a general comment about SEO stuff: Historically, there’s been a fair amount of misinformation and superstition driving the recommendations that people make. Meanwhile, Google themselves are very transparent about how they assess sites, and provide a few tools to help webmasters understand what’s going on.

So, as with many endeavours, I’d suggest that the best approach is the scientific method: try to understand your own assumptions, take observations, make deductions, build theories, and perform experiments to test them — and measure everything! The fact that most people don’t know that Googlebot executes JavaScript shows that the way things work today has drifted a long way from historical assumptions…

Best wishes

Jeremy

Josiah

Jun 14, 2016, 8:25:01 AM6/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Jeremy

That's excellent utilizable detail on how Google sees pages I can do stuff with. Thanks.

BTW, would you be willing to have your brain permanently connected to The Matrix? We could then build a TiddlyWiki with a Special Function: "Search Jeremy." :-)

Best wishes
Josiah