Semi-automatic pulling of Tiddlers from other TiddlyWiki in network reach?

Mikesch

Apr 30, 2020, 10:52:33 AM4/30/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

Is it currently possible to update imported tiddlers from other TiddlyWikis in intervals or manually?

About 10 years ago this was already possible if I remember correctly. I mean it was an extra plugin.

This could create a satellite system that had a central TiddlyWiki in which, on a voluntary basis, other people could voluntarily share their account that they maintained in their decentralized TiddlyWiki. If I remember correctly, it was a "pull" not a "push" of .tid content.

By specifying the .tid target to read above its path, the location was also stored and known to the TiddlyWiki which was needed to request an update. Verification and the like was not necessary as this is what the trust owner used to do. I mean there was only a query/default what to do with removed/renamed links (keep/reject/follow).

Can anyone remember this? Or, does anybody know a manual or plugin that makes this possible again today?

Thanks in advance.

Mikesch

Apr 30, 2020, 11:56:02 AM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
I may found the plugin doing this in 2012: https://tiddlywiki.abego-software.de/#IncludePlugin as a reference

Ste Wilson

Apr 30, 2020, 1:25:56 PM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
I think that's a tw2 not the shiny tw5. You might want to check out twederation from Jed.

TonyM

Apr 30, 2020, 7:37:32 PM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mikesch

I continue to look for a possible solution for you (and me), I remember this feature in TWC, and I have wanted such a solution for some time myself. If that is how you have designed your wiki its hard to go without such a feature. Although since adoption TW5 I admit it has not being pressing for me, I tend to use JSON packages and drag and drop/import more. The Library method may offer something.

I think the reason this has being neglected has occured because of the increasingly tight security on browsers, but I am not sure.

Regards
Tony

Tony K

May 1, 2020, 3:05:21 AM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
I've done that using scripts without passing by TiddlyWiki

I use TiddlyWiki Node.js which is great because each tiddler is in its own file (much more scalable) and I am using scripts to sync PC to GDrive (or any cloud app really) and Phone to Gdrive

in that way I always have an updated version on my Phone and Gdrive

Since I am on android I also use Termux to run nodeJS whenever I want to access my TiddlyWiki on the road

Jeremy Ruston

May 1, 2020, 3:59:23 AM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Just to clarify that modern security restrictions mean that things like Udo’s IncludePlugin won’t work on contemporary browsers. As I recall, it relied on a fairly egregious security hole: that JS code in a file:// URI could use xmlhttprequest to read arbitrary files from the users hard drive. Over the years file:// URIs have become a vector for malware distribution and so we’ve seen a gradual tightening up of restrictions on them.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Petruschka

May 1, 2020, 5:35:49 AM5/1/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for giving me your life time to this, Mr Ruston, sir!

You are certainly right, and perhaps there is a remedy with Timimi and its already installed backend.Timimi, with its automatic saving of the TW5, was the reason to get interested again immediately and reactivate everything from before.

I would like to address a meta topic, because I think I have read a similar thread somewhere, which asked about the reasons for the success of TiddlyWiki. It is unnecessary for you to respond to it here, as it seems very OT to me:

From my point of view the core of your success and that of TiddlyWiki lies in three insights/things:

  1. in catalyzing the self-ownership of the "decentralized" free undetermined individual as the smallest unit of all communities (there is an "i" in team).
  2. in acknowledging the limitations of logic a. neither being able to prove itself nor b. ever being able to give a final answer to anything essential (Gödel's incompleteness theorem) under no matter how many further complex closed extensions and/or iterations it seems to make it recognizable as a "simple tool" again and thus rightly serves the control illusion of me as a human being.
  3. connecting the lowest common denominator in which positivist and negativist philosophy agree on between ethics and morality - voluntariness itself.

Sir,I wish you and all who are important to you and also TiddlyWiki the success it deserves, like logic itself, as a subset of divine creation! ☦

Best wishes
Jeremy