SOLO a new Tiddlywiki Story View: Request for Review

Mohammad

Jan 23, 2020, 2:18:54 AM1/23/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Referring to https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/uwgQMe9qgGc/HsXI0l9mAwAJ
and the long discussion in other thredas and github on singletiddler-mode Jeremy has recently published an experimental new story view called SOLO

As I am working to provide feedback on this new story view I kindly ask you to evaluate it and send your feedback here on GitHub

To download the new empty.htlm with solo story view go to

and download the zip file.

For those who like to download it directly I have attached the zip file here.

I hope Jeremy include this in 5.1.22 release. So please kindly give your feedback.

--Mohammad

Ref

snapshot-5272b13af11b5a1ff92a8bd198af792e8482bb72.zip

TiddlyTweeter

Jan 23, 2020, 4:50:14 AM1/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mohammad

Just FYI. This simple Powershell command will directly download it ... (change "-OutFile " to where you want it to be saved).

I'm thinking of making a simple tool that we need for direct downloads and automated extraction of zip files.
Our current methods are cumbersome involving several unneeded steps :-)

Now I have it downloaded I'll review over next couple of days.

Best wishes
TT

On Thursday, 23 January 2020 08:18:54 UTC+1, Mohammad wrote:
Referring to https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/uwgQMe9qgGc/HsXI0l9mAwAJ
and the long discussion in other thredas and github on singletiddler-mode Jeremy has recently published an experimental a new story view called SOLO

Mohammad

Jan 23, 2020, 4:55:06 AM1/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Josiah!

Many thanks for your tip!
Why not having a wiki on tiddlyspot  to collect and share these great tips?

--Mohammad

On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 1:20:14 PM UTC+3:30, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
Ciao Mohammad

Just FYI. This simple Powershell command will directly download it ... (change "-OutFile " to where you want it to be saved).

This make life easier!

I'm thinking of making a simple tool that we need for direct downloads and automated extraction of zip files.
Our current methods are cumbersome involving several unneeded steps :-)

Agree!

Now I have it downloaded I'll review over next couple of days.

Thank you!

Best wishes
TT

--Mohammad

David Gifford

Jan 23, 2020, 3:44:11 PM1/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
I will look at it.

Hope it fares better than Disney's Solo story.

On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 1:18:54 AM UTC-6, Mohammad wrote:
Referring to https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/uwgQMe9qgGc/HsXI0l9mAwAJ
and the long discussion in other thredas and github on singletiddler-mode Jeremy has recently published an experimental a new story view called SOLO

Mohammad Rahmani

Jan 23, 2020, 4:03:40 PM1/23/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David!

:-)

Best wishes
Mohammad

Julio Peña

Jan 23, 2020, 4:55:09 PM1/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hey Mohammad,

Checking this out...comes to mind that it will be perfect for slide shows....like PPT.
Very nice stuff. So far I like this SOLO story view!

Cheers,

Julio

Mohammad

Jan 24, 2020, 1:32:34 AM1/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Julio, Hi all,

Yes, it is perfect for slide show presentation.

I have raised some issues on GitHub

NOTE that, there is no open tab and it is replaced with History tab.

Sometimes it wrongly shows two or three tiddlers at the same time! to reproduce

Issue i
  • close all tiddlers
  • click on create new tiddler from sidebar
  • don't save and click new tiddlers several time
  • all tiddlers are in the story river
  • save them one by one all still are there! SO this is a potential bug

Issue ii
  • close all tiddler and create a new tiddler
  • save it
  • you have one tiddler in the story view
  • now close it
  • you see a missing Draft of 'New Tiddler 1' in story river

issue ii
  • when you navigate and walk in story river, by closing each tiddler, another tiddler from History is opened
  • this never comes to an end and in a session all those are there
  • there is no way to tell TW, close them such a close all in Open tab

--Mohammad

Ste Wilson

Jan 24, 2020, 3:57:16 PM1/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
I have to Hans it to you.. Solo is good.

I'll get my coat..

TiddlyTweeter

Jan 25, 2020, 8:43:01 AM1/25/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Mohammad

The idea looks robust and this is a great step towards solving some barriers to better presentations!

I'm thinking most about the final outcome. I'm terrible on code so can't comment on that. But I can comment on utility.

I have one comment you might find interesting ...
I think in browsers where you want to PRESENT and give the user an IMMERSIVE experience "-kiosk" mode (no browser interface at all, just the presentation) is ideal!

Best wishes
TT

Mohammad

Jan 25, 2020, 9:49:50 AM1/25/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Josiah for commenting on Solo.

--Mohammad

On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 5:13:01 PM UTC+3:30, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
Ciao Mohammad

The idea looks robust and this is a great step towards solving some barriers to better presentations!

I'm thinking most about the final outcome. I'm terrible on code so can't comment on that. But I can comment on utility.

I have one comment you might find interesting ...
I think in browsers where you want to PRESENT and give the user an IMMERSIVE experience "-kiosk" mode (no browser interface at all, just the presentation) is ideal!

Hopefully this will be very close to what you said!

Best wishes
TT

--Mohammad

Mat

Jan 25, 2020, 11:11:39 AM1/25/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad, it could be just me but things seem to behave strangely:

I downloaded the attached zip and extracted, getting two files: empty and index.

First trying out empty. I open it, go to ctrlpanel and select Solo storyview (for testing purposed it would probably make more sense to have this pre-set). Anyway, OK I close ctrlpanel so I only have GetingStarted and now click "+" to create a new tid. It opens in edit mode along with the already active GettingStarted. (Maybe I misunderstood the whole premise but I was expecting it to be only one tiddler open at a time? But OK, maybe it's not only one becaseu one is in view mode and one is in edit mode so maybe the latter "doesn't count"...)

After I've saved the tiddler I note that the sidebar tab is not named Open but History. And it lists: New Tiddler, Draft of 'New Tiddler', GettingStarted. I would think that second title should not be there. Clicking it confuses things even more.

If I create yet another "New Tiddler 1", I get the same issue with a missing Draft showing in the History list.

If I reload the wiki and forget to set the Solo storyview but instead first click "+" to create a new tiddler but realize my mistake so I cancel the editview tiddler and then go to ctrlpanel and activate Solo, then upon closing the ctrlpanel the missing Draft pops up (hm!) and clicking "+" right away saves it as an existing tiddler but named "Draft of 'New Tiddler'".

OK, deciding that the empty version is not quite ready for prime time I go to "index".

This starts up with the usual default tiddlers open. I go to ctrpanel and note that Solo is pre-set. Closing the ctrlpanel... every tiddler closes/disappears. Actually what happened what that when I went to ctrlpanel, those default closed but I didn't see it because they were below the ctrlpanel. Not sure how to ideally handle that.

As with empty, the drafts seem to be listed in the History tab. I'd suggest that only existing drafts are actually listed - or is there a thought behind it? This time, clicking "+" does not seem to save it though but instead a "New Tiddler" is opened in draft mode and the History list is updated accordingly. (This makes me wonder if empty and index don't actually have the same version of the machanism...)

Thanks for exploring cool concepts, Mohammad.

<:-)

Mohammad

Jan 25, 2020, 2:21:24 PM1/25/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat,
 I really appreciate your time and critical review.

On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 7:41:39 PM UTC+3:30, Mat wrote:
Mohammad, it could be just me but things seem to behave strangely:

I downloaded the attached zip and extracted, getting two files: empty and index.

First trying out empty. I open it, go to ctrlpanel and select Solo storyview (for testing purposed it would probably make more sense to have this pre-set). Anyway, OK I close ctrlpanel so I only have GetingStarted and now click "+" to create a new tid. It opens in edit mode along with the already active GettingStarted. (Maybe I misunderstood the whole premise but I was expecting it to be only one tiddler open at a time? But OK, maybe it's not only one becaseu one is in view mode and one is in edit mode so maybe the latter "doesn't count"...)

I confirm this issue and I reported to Jeremy!

After I've saved the tiddler I note that the sidebar tab is not named Open but History. And it lists: New Tiddler, Draft of 'New Tiddler', GettingStarted. I would think that second title should not be there. Clicking it confuses things even more.

Seems for Solo, Open tab does not have any use as there is one tiddler is open at a time. But I also confused when first I saw it! I like something similar for all story view.

If I create yet another "New Tiddler 1", I get the same issue with a missing Draft showing in the History list.

confirmed!

If I reload the wiki and forget to set the Solo storyview but instead first click "+" to create a new tiddler but realize my mistake so I cancel the editview tiddler and then go to ctrlpanel and activate Solo, then upon closing the ctrlpanel the missing Draft pops up (hm!) and clicking "+" right away saves it as an existing tiddler but named "Draft of 'New Tiddler'".

Confirmed!

OK, deciding that the empty version is not quite ready for prime time I go to "index".

This starts up with the usual default tiddlers open. I go to ctrpanel and note that Solo is pre-set. Closing the ctrlpanel... every tiddler closes/disappears. Actually what happened what that when I went to ctrlpanel, those default closed but I didn't see it because they were below the ctrlpanel. Not sure how to ideally handle that.

As with empty, the drafts seem to be listed in the History tab. I'd suggest that only existing drafts are actually listed - or is there a thought behind it? This time, clicking "+" does not seem to save it though but instead a "New Tiddler" is opened in draft mode and the History list is updated accordingly. (This makes me wonder if empty and index don't actually have the same version of the machanism...)

Confirmed! The missing Draft and missing Deleted tiddler sometimes were opened in story view are really confusing!

Thanks for exploring cool concepts, Mohammad.

Thank you Mat. I noticed it was you started this concept in 2015

<:-)

I will put a note on GitHub to inform Jeremy

--Mohammad