Presenting: The TiddlyGoo project - integrate your wiki with the web

Mat

Apr 2, 2021, 2:29:59 AM4/2/21
to TiddlyWiki
I proudly present the...

The project is an expanding set of tools for integrating your wiki with the web - do participate with more ideas!

illustration_small.png

Fellow tiddleur @Mark S and I recently presented the SheetsIN plugin which is one of the linchpins enabling me to hereby present:

The DriveTree plugin
Map your Google Drive as a tree structure in TiddlyWiki. (Finally use TW as a document manager!)

The Pic macro
Very easily use Drive stored images in tiddlers to create complex text+image tiddlers.

...and there is a lot more on the TiddlyGoo project page.

Note! Help is needed to create a SheetsOUT plugin, i.e some way to export tiddler content to Google Sheets. If you have ideas for this, please shout out. This would open up for... a lot.

<:-)

Mohammad Rahmani

Apr 2, 2021, 3:12:36 AM4/2/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat,
 Great addition! I would recommend adding a screencast to show the features and capability!

Best wishes
Mohammad

David Gifford

Apr 2, 2021, 11:05:55 AM4/2/21
to TiddlyWiki
I agree with Mohammad. I can intuitively sense that this is exciting and powerful, but I can't yet visualize what it could do for me. Show us how it works with a couple Google apps and a couple of items from "the rest of the web". Then prepare to be arrested for causing all of our heads to explode.

Jon

Apr 3, 2021, 4:15:47 AM4/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat,

this looks really good and I've played around with the Pic Macro.

Am I right in thinking Google Photos are not synced to Google Drive anymore (that's the message I get anyway)?

Would it be possible to adapt things so that the sharing link from Google Photos works, as well as the link from Google Drive? (forgive my ignorance if that's impossible).

Regards
Jon

Saq Imtiaz

Apr 3, 2021, 5:26:56 AM4/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
I hope you are taking the time to inform potential users of your plugin about the caveats with your work thus far, namely that is uses an API planned to be deprecated, and a technique considered outdated (JSONP) which makes future support rather unsure. Neither of which is a reason not to use these plugins, but worth keeping in mind before building anything important on top of it.

Using v3 of the Google Drive API (which supports CORS) would negate both of the above mentioned concerns, as well as allow you save changes back. However, you will need to come up with a strategy to deal with authentication. Note also that there is a "gapi" JavaScript client library for working with the Google API which should help here. You may also find the Google Picker to be of interest as a means to work with files saved in Google Drive. Using the API is probably your only option for saving data back to the Google servers... unless perhaps you can come up with some very creative use of forms (which get saved in Sheets).

Only tangentially related, I've been working on different storage back-ends for binary attachments for TiddlyWiki, so that one can choose during import to upload them to a storage backend and only have a canonical_uri tiddler in the wiki itself. Currently I've got the major nuts and bolts in place for using Amazon S3 as a rough proof of concept and may look at Google Drive next. However this is using TW on node.js, mostly because that is what I needed and can make use of npm packages, but also since securely saving credentials in a single file wiki is a concern.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,

Saq

Florian Felix

Apr 4, 2021, 10:22:06 AM4/4/21
to TiddlyWiki

Would be nice if it’s not entirely dependent on the usage of google services...

Mat

Apr 4, 2021, 12:15:48 PM4/4/21
to TiddlyWiki
Jon wrote:
Would it be possible to adapt things so that the sharing link from Google Photos works, as well as the link from Google Drive? (forgive my ignorance if that's impossible).

I did some primitive attempts but Google Photos seems to use a different structure than Drive. I found this site and this that seem to have solved how to share google photo albums but they don't really share their code for how it's done. So, I'm not sure how to proceed with Google Photos specifically.

<:-)

Jon

Apr 4, 2021, 12:59:56 PM4/4/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the info Mat and they work nicely.

Best wishes
Jon

Mat

Apr 4, 2021, 3:36:17 PM4/4/21
to TiddlyWiki
@Saq, those are very good points and you have done  fantastic job at digging out good starting points for further dev. I have added a note  here  for the main plugin, i.e the SheetsIN plugin, which concerns the API for, specifically, accessing and importing to TW from Google Sheets. But for Google Drive, how can you (or anyone) tell that my solutions use an API planned to be deprecated and JSONP? Do the scripts, e.g this main one, use the v2 Google Drive API? (I have no idea how to tell.)

Assuming your post is correct, may I repost it in the TiddlyGoo website?

Unfortunately, the JS coding is beyond me so I can't really do much with your info BUT I hope people will benefit from my solutions and that at some point someone which the know how will see the benefit in making even better solutions for this. I think it makes a lot of sense to piggyback on Googles many services. Your tangential note about storage back-ends on Amazon S3 and, next, Google Drive sounds hopeful!

<:-)

Atul Grover

May 12, 2022, 10:52:00 AM5/12/22
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat,

Great work. Can you upload a screen cast as to how to use the same. The demo version is not importing the data from google sheet.

Atul