Making Plugin Library

Mohammad

Apr 15, 2020, 8:15:53 AM4/15/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Announcement
A tool for plugin development and making plugin library
Apr 15, 2020

Jed Carty has recently published a powerful tool to create plugin library!
Now you can make plugins and bundle them into a plugin library, lets end users
simply install your plugins like Tiddlywiki official plugin library.

This tool needs Tiddlywiki5 on Node.js.

For details see:

Description from repo site:

This repo is a stripped down version of what I use to create plugins and make a plugin library.

It has a few components:

its own copy of the TiddlyWiki5 repo, this way you can do anything you want here, including modifying the core, and you won't break anything else.
  1. A script to start a wiki in a node server.
  2. A script to create an empty plugin that you can then edit to make whatever you want.
  3. A script to create new wikis that you can use to test plugins.
  4. A script that you can use to create a plugin library with the plugins you have created.

Thank you Jed

--Mohammad

Jed Carty

Apr 15, 2020, 1:29:02 PM4/15/20
to TiddlyWiki
I updated the scripts so you can just run Setup.sh again to update the version of tiddlywiki it uses to the newest version. It also no longer needs patching because the change is in the 5.1.22 core, so that makes it a bit simpler.

On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 2:15:53 PM UTC+2, Mohammad wrote:
Announcement
A tool for plugin development and making plugin library
Apr 15, 2020

Jed Carty has recently published a powerful tool to create plugin library!
Now you can make plugins and bundle them in for a plugin library let end users

Mohammad

Apr 15, 2020, 3:00:21 PM4/15/20
to TiddlyWiki
Many thanks Jed!

--Mohammad

Mark S.

Apr 30, 2020, 6:14:00 PM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
I got as far as setting up a plugin and generating a library. I figure out how to install the library by cloning the public library configuration tiddler. When I looked for more plugins, it showed my new plugin. Yeah!

But it wouldn't install. I'd click on "install", and nothing would happen.

Is there some magic step I'm missing that makes the plugin installable from a private library?

Thanks!

Mark S.

Apr 30, 2020, 6:30:56 PM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
I'm using tiddlyserver to serve up things, so maybe I need to find out from him where my plugin library should go.

TonyM

Apr 30, 2020, 8:01:47 PM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad,

Thanks very much for making this public, I expect eventually to make use of it, but since Ido not use github much and node implementations so much in a sophisticated way there is a learning curve.

I was wondering if you can see a way to generate libraries from a filter on top of the single file wikis. I have being playing with this but it is a little challenging for me.

Love your work

Regards
Tony

Mohammad

May 1, 2020, 12:02:30 AM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Tony,
  Jed has introduced a method and there is an ongoing discussion in another thread with Jan! (see https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/Tlje6l8UZiU/28FFCJp2AwAJ)
  I could not use of it to make the library easily and I use the Node.JS route

-- Mohammad

Mohammad Rahmani

May 1, 2020, 12:46:20 AM5/1/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Mark,
 On my local installation I use the http-server of node.js to allow other devices or in my desktop computer I can reach the library!
 For online I keep everything on GitHub!

This way I can use library with  Bob, TiddlyServer, Single TW, or TW+Node.js

--Mohammad

Best wishes
Mohammad

Mark S.

May 1, 2020, 9:26:51 AM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
The bit I'm missing is, where do you put the library (1) physically and (2) virtually so that your TW file can find the plugins. The library generated by Jed's script is just a listing of plugins, with no path information.

Thanks!

Mohammad

May 1, 2020, 10:02:00 AM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark

On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 5:56:51 PM UTC+4:30, Mark S. wrote:
The bit I'm missing is, where do you put the library (1) physically and (2) virtually so that your TW file can find the plugins. The library generated by Jed's script is just a listing of plugins, with no path information.

You need a folder structure like this mylib\recipes\library\tiddlers
where in mylib you have index.html and recipes
in library you have tiddlers.json + tiddlers
under last folder tiddlers you have all plugins packaged a .json file!
Have a loo to my Kookma plugin library on https://github.com/kookma/TW-PluginLibrary/tree/master/docs

The same structure can be used for local hosting.

--Mohammad

TonyM

May 1, 2020, 10:14:36 AM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark

As I understand it, although I am still learning, you publish it like you may any other html. There is a header file you point to in a custom library tiddler in you wiki, that contains the index url. The same location also stores all the individual library items.

When you open the library tiddler the url in it is used and tiddlywiki fetches the index and loads it, when you install something from the library it imports the assisted files e.g. a plugin, the tiddler contents that were placed in the library, which I think is just another format for tiddlers.

This has a lot of promise for interwiki transfers because I could update the library files and if you return you can install the updated library items, even new ones.it should work just as well on a local html server or a node hosted files folder fore this who can access it. Theoreticaly you could have a repository of macros you can install as desired on your own wikis.

If I am wrong I hope someone can explain how. However I have not had time to work throught the code provided especialy since it currently seems to demand node and command lines. I would like to see it packaged in a user friendly plugin and able to work on single file wiki if not without reverting to command lines.

You could have a library and me another and we could exchange tiddlers. Eventualy perhaps we could load changed tiddlers from a library at load time or at least on a click.

Regards
Tony

TonyM

May 1, 2020, 10:16:01 AM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Post script. The files are where they are placed and the library tiddler in your wiki points to. The files are all found below that address.

Tony

Mark S.

May 1, 2020, 10:58:18 AM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki

Hi Mohammad,

I used Jed's scripts to generate the library.

I'm using TiddlyServer to serve up the index.

I can use "more plugins" to see my test plugins. But it doesn't complete an install.

Possibly TiddlyServer isn't doing sub-directories. Maybe I'll have to try http-server.

Can you share the command line you're using with http-server ?

Thanks!

Mohammad

May 1, 2020, 11:09:13 AM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,
 I have installed http-server module (https://www.npmjs.com/package/http-server)

Then in the folder I have index.html I fire up http-server as below
http-server -p 7700

Note to check if you see the index.html  (in my case: http://192.168.88.5:7700/)

Then make sure in your $:/config/YouLibrary the filed url is correctly set (for me it is http://192.168.88.5:7700/index.html)

Let me know if you are successful

--Mohammad

Mohammad

May 1, 2020, 11:10:52 AM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark

On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 7:39:13 PM UTC+4:30, Mohammad wrote:
Mark,
 I have installed http-server module (https://www.npmjs.com/package/http-server)

Then in the folder I have index.html I fire up http-server as below
http-server -p 7700

Note to check if you see the index.html  (in my case: http://192.168.88.5:7700/)

index.html is along with your recipes in one folder!

Then make sure in your $:/config/YouLibrary the filed url is correctly set (for me it is http://192.168.88.5:7700/index.html)

This is you config tiddler in target wiki where you wish to open library!

Mohammad

May 1, 2020, 11:12:02 AM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 7:39:13 PM UTC+4:30, Mohammad wrote:
Mark,
 I have installed http-server module (https://www.npmjs.com/package/http-server)

Then in the folder I have index.html I fire up http-server as below
http-server -p 7700

Note to check if you see the index.html  (in my case: http://192.168.88.5:7700/)

For me the IP lets all my other devises and who are connected to my network be able to see the library and install!

Mark S.

May 1, 2020, 11:51:29 AM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad,

Thank you! That works! I guess TS only goes down one directory level.

Mohammad

May 1, 2020, 12:01:03 PM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Great Mark!
 As I have several plugin libraries, I myself run http-server from a C:/TWLibs root folder and each library has its own folder like kookma, tiddlywiki, community, collection
and this way http-server allows to get access to all those folders! the other point is http-server allows other people in my network have access to these libraries.

Cheers
Mohammad