[ demo ] Typewriter: (not) a WYSIWYG editor

Saq Imtiaz

Aug 19, 2020, 11:58:10 AM8/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
 I'm in a busy period at the moment. As a result I haven't had the chance to make further progress for a few weeks on a bunch of ongoing experiments, let alone have time to discuss them.

So I am sharing some of what I've been fiddling with in the hopes that it may inspire ideas for others to pursue.

Please read carefully through all the information provided in the demo.

Cheers,
Saq

TW Tones

Aug 19, 2020, 6:48:57 PM8/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Saq,

Thanks for sharing. I expect something like this would be adequate for 90% of TiddlyWiki naive users visiting a site where they can compose simple content.

FYI: Given the tiddler is rendered ultimately by tiddlywiki, macros etc.. will be honoured
! Start

<<tag $:/tags/macro>>

* Items
* More
Pasting complete macros into a text/typewriter type tiddler or when just wiki text, seems to work fine.

Personalty I often use html in my tiddlers such as for complex tables, there is value making full use of html given its rich environment. I wonder if we could have WYSIWYG sections or blocks inside tiddlers. I am currently playing with structuring the content of tiddlers around html systematic blocks, inside a view template, populated by tiddler fields.

All,
  • What open source WYSIWYG editors do you use?
  • What do end users need
Please provide some info and ideas here so someone is inspired to run with Saq's lead on this.

Regards
Tones

Saq Imtiaz

Aug 20, 2020, 1:20:22 AM8/20/20
to TiddlyWiki
Pasting complete macros into a text/typewriter type tiddler or when just wiki text, seems to work fine.

It will work as long as the editor isn't being used in view mode, however it is incredibly error prone and best avoided for most users. As an example consider what happens when a user selects half of a widget or macro call along with some other text and wraps it in a <b> tag.

Cheers,
Saq

Nov 3, 2020, 11:22:36 AM11/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
It's very cool. I asked about easy contendetitable=true plugin in my recent topic and even wanted to write my own simple solution for inline edition, but you did a lot more. Do you plan to continue your work?

четверг, 20 августа 2020 г. в 08:20:22 UTC+3, saq.i...@gmail.com:

PMario

Nov 3, 2020, 2:29:30 PM11/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Saq,

Thanks for sharing. ... I'm using TW mainly with my PC. So I think it's OK to have huge dark buttons to select them with a tablet, but for me it would be nice to have a configuration somewhere.

I'd like to make them smaller and use a "light" theming.

-mario

TW Tones

Nov 3, 2020, 6:14:27 PM11/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Saq,

I just reviewed this again and feel it would make tiddlywiki more accessible to new users, but then with the work with Mario and TT we are providing a way to give authors or designers access to easily customised wiki text markup, See https://groups.google.com/forum/?oldui=1#!topic/tiddlywikidev/vS5ZI0FCiIY I wonder if that is the way to introduce mark-up including macros and widgets with some small injections into the editor?

The thing is customized mark-up will revolutionise the ability to include components and css into wikitext, from full details elements to parametrised macros and widgets. I can imagine an author having a dozen primary elements they use to mark-up text with just a few keystrokes. This customise solution may be easier to integrate with the editor you presented here since its "escape character based".

This is seems to me we could make an efforts to combine the two for the ideal situation.

Regards
Tones.

raza zafar

Jun 5, 2023, 7:09:50 AM6/5/23
to TiddlyWiki
I can completely understand how being in a busy period can disrupt the progress of ongoing experiments and limit time for discussions. It's commendable that despite the constraints, you are taking the initiative to share your work and ideas with others. Collaboration and inspiration are crucial in the academic world, and by sharing your experiments, you are not only potentially inspiring others but also inviting feedback and suggestions that could further enhance your research.

When it comes to a PhD thesis, the structure of the dissertation plays a vital role. It provides a framework that ensures clarity, coherence, and logical flow of ideas throughout the document. The structure typically includes sections such as an introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. However, the specific structure may vary depending on the field of study and the requirements of your institution.

By sharing your ongoing experiments and mentioning your thesis, it's evident that you are actively engaged in your research journey. I encourage you to continue exploring new ideas, seeking collaborations, and finding ways to make progress amidst your busy schedule. Best of luck with your experiments and the completion of your dissertation!