Announcing Tiddlyhost.com

Simon Baird

Feb 18, 2021, 6:48:21 PM2/18/21
to TiddlyWiki
(Via http://tiddlyspot.blogspot.com/2021/02/announcing-tiddlyhostcom.html )

Tiddlyhost.com is the successor to Tiddlyspot.com. I've been working hard on it since early January and I'm really happy with the progress. It's pretty new, and still in development, but I feel like it's ready for some kind of launch.

Unlike Tiddlyspot, Tiddlyhost:
* Is secure
* Has a password recovery mechanism
* Supports TiddlyWiki5
* Is fully open source
* Let's you share and discover TiddlyWiki sites

If that sounds good, please sign up at https://tiddlyhost.com/ and give it a try.

If you have suggestions or experience problems, please file an issue [1]. See also the code [2] and the FAQ [3].

-Simon

Ps, a few notes:
* As mentioned, Tiddlyhost is new and in development. I can't guarantee there won't be problems. It would be wise to download your site once in a while just in case something goes terribly wrong and your data gets lost.
* Please be nice. For example don't upload your entire photo collection, or generate a ton of spammy content.

David Gifford

Feb 18, 2021, 9:14:11 PM2/18/21
to TiddlyWiki
Nice! I have my own website, so I don't need hosting, but I wanted to check it out. I like the hub idea. Nice way to see what others do, if they are willing to share. Blessings!

David Gifford

Feb 18, 2021, 9:46:13 PM2/18/21
to TiddlyWiki
I added my current simple productivity set up at https://testingoutth.tiddlyhost.com/. If you like it, grab stuff as desired.

Mohammad Rahmani

Feb 19, 2021, 1:03:02 AM2/19/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,
 Thanks for tiddlyhost.com I am sure it will have many users. Small suggestion

1. It is good to use namespace per user (very important in my opinion)
2. Worth to show the quota per user (One can understand how much disk space he/she has used)
3. To encourage being a nice user you can dedicate 250 MB per user and ask for some fee above that quota
4. To keep tiddlyhost live and use a better hosting (dreamhost seems slow) you may add a premium subscription let interested users and fans to pay for subscription. This can be a small help to pay hosting and maintenance costs

Best wishes
Mohammad

Ste

Feb 19, 2021, 6:05:37 AM2/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you for this Simon!
I've put up my tinkering wiki formally of tiddlyspot. So not precious of it all breaks while your developing :)
Just say how much tiddlyspot was appreciated!

Stephen

Pedro

Feb 19, 2021, 6:52:17 AM2/19/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Thank you for sharing.

Is it "fully open source" in the sense that we can self host it?

----------
Pedro Alves

PhD candidate in Computer Science
Institute of Computing - University of Campinas

Pit.W.

Feb 19, 2021, 7:11:00 AM2/19/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

whhooops, that was quick and easy.

Great!

Thanks a lot!

Pit

Ihre E-Mail-Postfächer sicher & zentral an einem Ort. Jetzt wechseln und alte E-Mail-Adresse mitnehmen! https://www.eclipso.de

scot

Feb 19, 2021, 7:20:37 AM2/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
Simon, thanks very much for providing this great tool.

I'm sorry but I failed to create a TW on my site and save it successfully.
Tried saving on Firefox and Chrome browser. Downloaded it, no saved changes.
It's been a while since I used Tiddlyspot Saver could be something simple that I'm doing wrong.
Can anyone offer any help please.

Scot

Ste

Feb 19, 2021, 7:56:35 AM2/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi scot
Tiddlyspot no longer works due to action by Simon's hosting company a few months ago. You cna download your stuff but that's all. This is about the new shiny glorious successor to tiddlyspot called tiddly host. Try the link in the original posts.
I set up an account.. Found my old tiddlyspot, downloaded it then imported it from the new tiddly host.
Works without a hitch.

Stephen

scot

Feb 19, 2021, 8:16:17 AM2/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Stephen,
I managed to create an account on Tiddlyhost.com which produced a new empty TW.
My problem was that I could not save any changes to it. When I added new tiddlers, they didn't show on the downloaded TW.
I tried to upload an existing wiki using Tiddlyspot Saver details:

password: tiddlyhost new site password
Upload Filename: index.html
File didn't upload.
I also tried just using the save button on TW , which didn't saved the file

Scot

Ovy Ortega

Feb 19, 2021, 8:35:08 AM2/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
Looks great, how does one upload an already existing TW. i just got really tired of github’s saving unreliability.

On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 5:48:21 PM UTC-6 SimonBaird wrote:
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Simon Baird

Feb 19, 2021, 11:09:04 PM2/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
You can, but it's not well (or at all) documented. If you just want to run it locally, it's fairly simple. Just follow the steps in the readme. If you want to host it somewhere so others can see it then it's a little harder.

Simon Baird

Feb 19, 2021, 11:15:28 PM2/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
Here's the general step by step:

* (Assuming you're signed up and logged in.)
* Create a site
* Click on the name of the site and you should see a new empty TiddlyWiki in a new tab
* Click the save button and look for the save confirmation

Can you walk me through what you did and what happened?

Simon Baird

Feb 19, 2021, 11:18:40 PM2/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
I don't know actually, but I expect it's possible. I'm still learning how to do things with TW5.

scot

Feb 20, 2021, 6:35:50 AM2/20/21
to TiddlyWiki
@Simon
I have tried to setup another wiki on tiddlyhost, but with no success.
On creating a new site, the TW loads and I can create new tiddlers but when I save the wiki, I get the "Starting to sve wiki" message.
I do not get a confirmation message stating the wiki has been saved?
I can drag existing wiki's to the site and they load, but again do not save.
Firefox browser version 85.0.2

My questions :
do other users use the created wiki or an existing wiki when they tested tiddlyhost.
what browser are they using?
are they saving by pressing the save button alone, or are they using another configuration in control panel.
why does the tiddlyhost create a wiki using 5.1.24-prerelease ?

Scot

ludwa6

Feb 20, 2021, 1:30:10 PM2/20/21
to TiddlyWiki
Terrific news, @Simon: fulfilling such an important need (yet again) -thanks, mate!

And thanks to you, @Dave Giffford, for sharing your Simple Productivity Setup . Following your kind invitation, i have exported your tiddlers and imported them into my own new TH wiki, to see how easily i can adapt it to my own GTD workflow.  One question though, about plugins: i installed all those plugins on your list, only i was unclear whether you installed the entire Stroll theme, or just the Backlinks feature (which i also find indispensible)... And if the latter, then where do i find that one? (i've got a full Stroll instance installed locally, but it doesn't have a plugin called "Backlinks, so)...?

springer

Feb 20, 2021, 5:37:54 PM2/20/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hooray, this is GREAT news!  I'm just reporting that it's working seamlessly and responsively for me so far!
-Springer

Sapphireslinger

Mar 1, 2021, 11:35:15 PM3/1/21
to TiddlyWiki
I too would like to know if it is possible to upload an existing Tiddlywiki to Tiddlyhost, because for me creating is hard enough without having to log in first >_<

I would like to work on my blog privately in my own computer or phone and only after this important work is done, face the mental hurdle of logging in to push the updated blog to Tiddlyhost.

Also tweaking a copy of something in my computer or phone before pushing an acceptable update to the net doesn't make me feel like I'm going to irrevocably break my blog if I try to experiment with anything.

I have signed up to Tiddlyhost (private for now) but could not see any button for uploading a Tiddlywiki.

I only saw "Site: sapphireslinger.tiddlyhost.com" "Access: Private" "Views: 0" "Settings" "Delete"

How do I upload?

strikke...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2021, 12:06:59 AM3/2/21
to TiddlyWiki
It is not possible to upload. I am sure we will be told, if that changes.

Mohammad Rahmani

Mar 2, 2021, 1:46:42 AM3/2/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
How to host / upload a Tiddlywiki (e.g from old tiddlyspot or GitHub or your local drive)

Create a new wiki on tiddlyhost
Open it
drag and drop your current TW over newly created one
(you need to have it saved on your machine first to be able drag and drop)

That is it!

Best wishes
Mohammad

Sapphireslinger

Mar 2, 2021, 8:01:53 AM3/2/21
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad,

Wow! That is awesomely simple! Thank you!
Reminds me of the time I asked how to delete the old version of a plugin before updating it and was told just to drag in the updated plugin and it would overwrite the old. (facepalm) Amazing!
I didn't realize one could do entire Tiddlywikis that way.

SimonBaird,

Thank you for creating Tiddlyhost!

PMario

Mar 2, 2021, 8:06:48 AM3/2/21
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 2:01:53 PM UTC+1 Sapphireslinger wrote:

SimonBaird,

Thank you for creating Tiddlyhost!

+1
-m

Eskha

Mar 2, 2021, 9:51:16 AM3/2/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Simon,

Thank you for creating Tiddlyhost.

It seems that the plugin library does not work: when selecting  "Get more plugins" then " open plugin library" all the tabs are displaying (0) elements.

Best regards,

Eskha

strikke...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2021, 10:09:55 AM3/2/21
to TiddlyWiki
Eskha,
If you look athttps://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/empty.html You will also find the plgin library empty.

Birthe

Eskha

Mar 2, 2021, 10:58:34 AM3/2/21
to TiddlyWiki
That make sense.

Is there any way to use the released 5.1.23 version instead of the prerelease one?

Eskha

Mohammad Rahmani

Mar 2, 2021, 11:25:10 AM3/2/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Eskha,
 To have a working plugin library in prerelease see the instruction in TW-Scripts

Best wishes
Mohammad

Mohammad Rahmani

Mar 2, 2021, 11:36:03 AM3/2/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Eskha,

to correct my previous post

 Please open the tiddlywiki.com and not https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/ then
into your Tiddlywiki (prerelease)

In the TW-Script (it uses $:/config/OfficialPluginLibrary from prerelease which is empty!)

Best wishes
Mohammad

Eric Shulman

Mar 2, 2021, 11:36:35 AM3/2/21
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 7:58:34 AM UTC-8 Eskha wrote:
Is there any way to use the released 5.1.23 version instead of the prerelease one?

1) Locate and edit this shadow tiddler: $:/config/OfficialPluginLibrary
2) Change the value in the URL field to: https://tiddlywiki.com/library/v5.1.23/index.html

enjoy,
-e

Mohammad Rahmani

Mar 2, 2021, 11:46:44 AM3/2/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
thumb up
+10

enjoy,
-e

jtech108

Mar 7, 2021, 8:33:35 PM3/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hello all,

Late to the party....but as they say "better late than never."

Finally got around to upload my old site: https://jtech-tw5.tiddlyhost.com/.

Thanks Simon for TiddlyHost and Mohammad for the upload instructions!

Best regards to all.
Julio

Eskha

Mar 8, 2021, 2:01:58 PM3/8/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you Mohammad and Eric for your answer,

I used Eric solution which works fine for me.

For new comers on Tiddlyhost, I think this may be an issue.

Best regards,

Eskha

OOC

Mar 8, 2021, 6:27:58 PM3/8/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ive jumped ship from github, tiddlyhost saves fast and perfectly. A wonderful thing.

Simon Baird

Mar 10, 2021, 7:46:09 AM3/10/21
to TiddlyWiki
There is an "upload" option now FYI. Find it in the "Action" menu for your site.

You should be able to use it to upload a local TiddlyWiki file to your site, but for best success you should use a 5.1.14 prerelease version of TiddlyWiki since there's something in there that Tiddlyhost needs.

Simon Baird

Mar 10, 2021, 7:47:17 AM3/10/21
to TiddlyWiki
I think so, but let me test it and write up an FAQ about it.

Simon Baird

Mar 10, 2021, 8:06:06 AM3/10/21
to TiddlyWiki
I've pushed a workaround for this, so now all sites should be able to access the 5.1.23 plugin list.

Thanks Eric!

FYI, there is a reason why I picked a prerelease TiddlyWiki version for Tiddlyhost. It's because I wanted a version with https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/pull/5455 included. My thinking was that as soon as there's an official 5.1.24 I'll stop using a prerelease, and I didn't know about the plugin library stuff.

I could create an empty that is just 5.1.13 with that one patch cherry-picked and use that as the default for new sites, or maybe even find a way to inject that behaviour tweak as a plugin on top of a standard 5.1.13 TiddlyWiki. Would that be worthwhile do you think, or is it fine to just stick with the prerelease? I could perhaps make both options available, but then I'd still need to decide on the default.

Related questions: Is a 5.1.24 release coming soon, or might it be a while? Are prerelease versions generally considered stable enough for daily use, or is it better to stick with a presumably more stable official release?

-Simon

Simon Baird

Mar 10, 2021, 8:51:36 AM3/10/21
to TiddlyWiki

This procedure works for uploading (mostly) any TiddlyWiki file to a Tiddlyhost site.

scot

Mar 10, 2021, 9:32:04 AM3/10/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Simon,
thanks for your instructions.
I still have a problem with tiddlyhost.
When I try to upload an existing tw, I get this error

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to tiddlyhost.com. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

    The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Any suggestions to rectify this problem?

Scot

Simon Baird

Mar 10, 2021, 10:16:20 AM3/10/21
to TiddlyWiki
That might be a temporary glitch. Does it happen every time? Are you following the steps from that FAQ when you upload?

scot

Mar 10, 2021, 1:17:15 PM3/10/21
to TiddlyWiki
Simon,
I was following your instructions /FAQ
Using a 5.1.23 or earlier version of TiddlyWiki

I tried to upload a pre-saved wiki to my site, but got the error on a couple of occasions.
i will try again to see if it is a glitch.
I noted your suggestions on wiki name and password fields, maybe this stopped me saving any wikis I previously created on tiddlyhost.

Scot

scot

Mar 10, 2021, 2:37:25 PM3/10/21
to TiddlyWiki
Simon,
tried to upload again, but no success. Same error as last time.

Scot

Mark S.

Mar 18, 2021, 2:09:51 PM3/18/21
to TiddlyWiki
Is there a way to change the logout time? Preferably to something very long. Or, at least provide a notice when you have been logged out?

My scenario. I started working on some complicated changes last night. I continue working this morning. Finally I'm ready to save. But it doesn't save -- instead I get a box that appears to be filled with the raw contents of the TW file itself. So I think I need a fresh TW file. I go over to the dashboard and relaunch the file. Then drag and drop the other changes so it's up-to-date. Save ... but it fails with a message about how I need to be logged in. At this point all I can do is use the emergency export to save my work, since even the download saver is unavailable.

It appears that once you log into TH the clock is ticking, but you don't know you're on the clock or even how long you have.

Thank you!

Simon Baird

Mar 19, 2021, 12:30:11 AM3/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
If you then login (in another tab), then return to the TiddlyWiki and hit save again, it should save. So instead of relaunching the file, you should just return to the existing tab and save again.

I'd like to understand why you get the box with the raw contents. You're supposed to just get a message "..please login and try again", so I wonder why that's not working for you. What's your browser and operating system? Does it happen if you start editing, then immediately log out of Tiddlyhost, then return to the TiddlyWiki tab and try to save the site? One possibility is that the server was restarting just when you tried to save. In that case, just trying again might have worked.

FYI the session should stay alive for 5 hours. You should be able to save, or just hit reload on tiddlyhost.com every few hours or so to keep the session going.

-Simon

Mark S.

Mar 19, 2021, 10:06:37 AM3/19/21
to TiddlyWiki
Chromium 89.0.4389.82 on Linux (xubuntu).  I did go back to the TiddlyHost panel with my file listings. I reloaded. But I can't say whether it said "Logged In" or "Signed In" because my listings didn't change, and one of them is private. So I just sort of assumed I was still logged in. I would sort of hope that private listings would not be visible if someone is logged out. If it happens again I'll try the relogin thing, and attempt to get a screenshot.

Is there a server cost to allowing people to stay logged in for more than 5 hours? It's probably bad TW hygiene on my part, but I'll sometimes leave tabs up for days.

Thanks!