Announcement: TiddlyWiki 2.7.0 Beta 2 includes fixes for local file import

Eric Shulman

Nov 2, 2012, 3:45:58 AM11/2/12
to TiddlyWiki
Greetings All!

I am EXTREMELY pleased to announce the posting of TiddlyWiki 2.7.0
Beta 2, which can be downloaded by right-clicking the following link
and choosing "save link as..." from the popop menu:

http://www.TiddlyWiki.com/beta

The reason I am so pleased is that this beta update includes fixes for
backstage>import that I've just written (and tested) that appear to
successfully work around the latest file I/O security barriers imposed
by FireFox v15+ as well some related security changes that affected
Chrome, Safari, and Opera.

The backstage>import "browse" handling has been updated so that when
you select a local file for import, a properly-formed "file://" URI is
automatically filled in (in the "enter a URL" text input). However,
as before, the selected file must still be in the *same folder* as the
current document for it to be read in. This is a restriction imposed
by almost all browsers (FF, Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc.)... *except*
for... surprisingly... InternetExplorer, which *does* permit access to
files outside the current folder (even a file on networked drive works
in IE)!!

Note: if you *do* try to select a file outside the current folder, the
result displayed in the "file" control text area (next to the browse
button) will be the path/file you selected, but the path/file actually
used (and displayed in the "enter a URL" text area) will be the
*current* folder, combined with the *filename.ext* of the selected
file.

The bigger fix is that... after selecting the file... when you press
the "OPEN" button... the import process now detects when local
filesystem I/O is needed and no longer tries (and fails) to use "ajax"
I/O to read in the file... so that spurious "not CORS enabled" error
message does not appear... and the process actually retrieves
tiddlers and let's you proceed with the import without further
issues. HOORAY.. YIPPEE.... YAY!

I have tested on my local system using IE, FF15 (with TiddlyFox
installed), and Chrome. Of course, every system setup is a little
different, so it's still very important for everyone to download this
latest build from the above link... and test it with your own OS/
browser configuration, with as many use-cases as you can think of...
and then report back here with the results, either positive or
negative.

If, after field testing by the community, this fix proves to be as
effective and stable as I think it is, then I will quickly move
TW2.7.0 from beta to official release status... probably by the end of
next week.

Have a great weekend!

enjoy,
-e
Eric Shulman
TiddlyTools / ELS Design Studios

HELP ME TO HELP YOU - MAKE A CONTRIBUTION TO MY "TIP JAR"...
http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#Donations

Professional TiddlyWiki Consulting Services...
Analysis, Design, and Custom Solutions:
http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#Contact

dave couch

Nov 2, 2012, 8:54:46 AM11/2/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Tried it out using Firefox 16.0.2 on XP Pro SP3 (with tiddlyfox) - it
imported the content of my local master wiki without problem and
imported some plugins from tiddlytools using backstage import. That's my
regular workflow set-up sorted.

However I decided to try it out with the other browsers on this machine
(some elderly, and all largely unused).

IE8 imported from the local file, saved changes but couldn't seem to
contact tiddlytools.com using the backstage import function.

Using both the current Opera (12.02 build 1578) and a pretty old version
of Chrome fork SRWare Iron (17.1.1000.0) when I tried to import from the
local file I got the message :-
"Error retrieving tiddlers from local file, please make sure the file is
in the same directory as your TiddlyWiki. Click Cancel to try again."
(The file was in the same directory).

Opera also declined to save changes even after making sure I had the
latest tiddlysaver.jar - however I never use it for working with
tiddlywiki's so I can't tell if this is normal or abnormal behaviour, or
if there's some trick to using it I'm not up to speed with. Tried Opera
11.61 on a different xp machine with the same result.

TonG

Nov 2, 2012, 11:16:37 AM11/2/12
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Eric,

PC with Win7 x64

FF16 + TiddlyFox
I can import (via backstage > import):
1) from a TW in the same folder
2) from Tiddlytools

IE9:
I can import (via backstage > import):
1) from a TW in the same folder
2) I CANNOT import from Tiddlytools; error: "Error retrieving tiddlers
from url, please ensure this url exists and is CORS enabled"
(3) IE specific: from a TW in another folder)

I can import (via backstage > import):
1) from a TW in the same folder
2) from Tiddlytools
N.B. I cannot save in Safari

I can import (via backstage > import):
1) from Tiddlytools
2) I CANNOT import from a TW in the same folder; error: "Error
retrieving tiddlers from local file, please make sure the file is in
the same directory as your TiddlyWiki. Click Cancel to try again."
N.B. I cannot save in Coogle Chrome

Cheers,

Ton

Eric Shulman

Nov 2, 2012, 1:33:32 PM11/2/12
to TiddlyWiki
> IE9:
> 2) I CANNOT import from Tiddlytools; error: "Error retrieving tiddlers
> from url, please ensure this url exists and is CORS enabled"

I've seen this too. I'm investigating...

> 2) I CANNOT import from a TW in the same folder; error: "Error
> retrieving tiddlers from local file, please make sure the file is in
> the same directory as your TiddlyWiki. Click Cancel to try again."

After you select the desired file, the "enter a URL" field is
automatically filled with the file:// URI for the selected file. It
is this URI that is actually used as the target of the import
processing. However, there's some browser-specific trickiness to
constructing that file:// URI, and some browsers have changed their
file selection handling in recent versions, which might result in a
badly formed local URI that cannot be opened (because of an invalid
path or filename).

Try this:
After selecting a file, put the focus in the "enter a URL" input
field, then copy the generated URI and post it here so I can see what
it produced. I'll bet it's not properly formed.

Also, can you provide a link for downloading/installing "Google Chrome
portable 17", so that I can test possible fixes here.

thanks,
-e

TonG

Nov 2, 2012, 2:15:07 PM11/2/12
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Eric,

When using Chrome I copied the generated URI: file:///D:/Test/Test6/TWHelp.html
Looks normal to me.

You can download a few portable browsers from www.PortableApps.com
(Firefox, Chrome, Opera, ...)
I saw my portable Chrome is "old"; I'll download the newest version
v22 and test again.

Cheers,

Ton

TonG

Nov 2, 2012, 2:20:34 PM11/2/12
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Eric,

Chrome v22 behaves the same. Generated URI: file:///D:/Test/Test6/TWHelp.html
And when you click 'Open': Error retrieving tiddlers from local file,
please make sure the file is in the same directory as your TiddlyWiki.
Click Cancel to try again.

Cheers,

Ton

TonG

Nov 2, 2012, 2:26:40 PM11/2/12
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Eric,

Update.
Opera portable v12
URI: file://localhost/D:/Test/Test6/TWHelp.html
And when you click 'Open': Error retrieving tiddlers from local file,
please make sure the file is in the same directory as your TiddlyWiki.
Click Cancel to try again.
I can import from TiddlyTools.

Cheers,

Ton

Eric Shulman

Nov 2, 2012, 2:31:08 PM11/2/12
to TiddlyWiki
> Chrome v22 behaves the same.

Hmmm.. curious. I've got a regular installation of Chrome, version:
"22.0.1229.94 m", which is reported as "up-to-date", and it opening/
importing works. I wonder if it's a 'sandbox' issue because of the
portability tweaks?

-e

TonG

Nov 2, 2012, 3:18:54 PM11/2/12
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Eric,

I don't know if it is a "sandbox" issue.
I used Chrome portable Version 22.0.1229.94
Thereafter I tried 2 other portable browsers:

SRWare Iron portable Version 22.0.1250.0 (160000), a Chrome
derivative, behaves the same: not possible to import from local file.
URI: file:///D:/Test/Test6/TWHelp.html
Error: Error retrieving tiddlers from local file, please make sure the
file is in the same directory as your TiddlyWiki. Click Cancel to try
again.
I can import from TiddlyTools.

Comodo Dragon (portable) Version 22.1.1.0 (Based on Chromium
22.0.1229.94) , also a Chrome derivative, behaves the same: not
possible to import from local file.
URI: file:///D:/Test/Test6/TWHelp.html
Error: Error retrieving tiddlers from local file, please make sure the
file is in the same directory as your TiddlyWiki. Click Cancel to try
again.
I can import from TiddlyTools.
Cheers,

Ton

dave couch

Nov 2, 2012, 8:51:42 PM11/2/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I continued experimenting with Opera (12.02 build 1578) in XP Pro SP3.
Reinstalled Java. Using beta 2.7.0 I still can't either save, or import
from a local file. Oddly the same browser CAN save (but not import)
using tiddlywiki 2.6.5

I then had a play with beta 2.7.0 on my netbook running Linux Mint
Debian.

The Firefox version on this (14.01) was from the repository and I
believe is a customised version. I can save from 2.6.5 without problems
using Tiddlyfox. Using this version of Firefox I can save in beta 2.7.0
but attempting to import from a local file using the backstage import
function I get :-
"Error retrieving tiddlers from url. please ensure this url exists and
is CORS enabled"

So I installed Firefox 16.0.2. Exactly the same results. Will save but
not import giving the same "CORS enabled" error.

I then tried Opera 12.02 on Linux Mint Debian. This can save from
tiddlywiki 2.6.5 but it will not save from 2.7.0. I get a message
"<javascript> It's not possible to save changes. Possible reasons
include (etc.)"

Needless to say importing also doesn't work producing the "Error
retrieving tiddlers from local file. please make sure the file is in the
same directory as your Tiddlywiki. Click cancel to try again." (I
checked - the url to the local file was properly formed).

Al

Nov 3, 2012, 2:57:26 AM11/3/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Safari 5.0.6 (tested on OSX 10.5.8 and 10.6.8) using TiddlySaver from 2.6.5 and 2.6.6
can import using Backstage(Import)
Can't Save
This is the same condition as 2.6.6 and 2.7.0beta1

Thanks for your efforts.

Alfonso Arciniega

Nov 7, 2012, 12:15:55 AM11/7/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
More or less the same here:

OSX 10.7.5, all docs in same directory
Firefox 16.0.2 with TiddlyFox: Ok
Chrome 23.0.1271.64: Can't open to import; can't save
Safari 6.0.2: Import but can't save (used both old and new TiddlySaver.jar)

Yakov

Nov 19, 2012, 8:27:14 AM11/19/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Eric,

I'm very glad that there's some progress with the import issue. Let me share my experiences and questions regarding v2.7.0b2:

* syncing is removed, but the ToolbarCommands shadow still contains "syncing", probably should be removed, right?
* there was an "update" issue -- in some versions of TW updating core didn't work. Does it share the external-source-access engine with importing, or, in other words, is it safe to say that if importing is fixed, then updating is fixed as well?
* regarding saving and importing in Opera (I have 12.10 in Win7 x64):
** saving via the old TiddlySaver.jar doesn't work
** importing a local file from the same folder by using the full URI from the browser address bar works
** importing a local file from the same folder by relative URL ("./myTW.html") doesn't work ("Error retrieving tiddlers from url, please ensure this url exists and is CORS enabled")
** importing from http://tiddlywiki.com/ doesn't work (CORS again)
** although the page [1] sais about new TiddlySaver.jar, there's no direct link, and I can't recall where I downloaded it previously (judjing on the file size, there's an old TiddlySaver at [2] -- the new one, as I remember, is about 18 kB); so, I can't test saving with the new saver
* is there some place, where changelogs for all versions are collected?

Best regards,
Yakov.

skye riquelme

Nov 22, 2012, 7:15:22 PM11/22/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric

Happy that things are progressing on this front.....

Using FF 17.0 (portable) under Vista I have been able to import tiddlers from a local TW in the same directory....and from www.tiddlytools.com

However using ExternalTiddlersPlugin...trying to import a simple txt file from my server does not do it!!!!  No message, and no created tiddler!!!

Thanks
Skye

Måns

Nov 23, 2012, 7:14:38 AM11/23/12
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Eric

It does'nt work with iceweasel (Firefox derivative) or Chrome on
Debian Squeeze "Error retrieving tiddlers from local file, please make
sure the file is in the same directory as your TiddlyWiki. Click
Cancel to try again." - I still have to use Jon's TiddlyFileImportr
https://github.com/jdlrobson/TiddlyWikiPlugins/tree/master/apps/fileimport
if I want to import tiddlers. It works even with tws from other
folders (in Iceweasel - not in Chrome). I can, however, import
tiddlers from tiddlytools, from both browsers.

Great that you have gotten this far with the issue - Good job!!

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

Smandoli

Nov 25, 2012, 11:25:16 PM11/25/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
FF 16.0.2 on Win7.  Downloaded your beta (that is, copy-and-pasted the source code) and was easily able to import my megabyte worth of working TW data.  Then imported a tiddler from TiddlyTools.  WHAT A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE, after so much working-around lately.  THANKS.

I am EXTREMELY pleased to announce the posting of TiddlyWiki 2.7.0
Beta 2...

TonyM

Nov 30, 2012, 12:30:41 AM11/30/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I am keen to move to this improved version thanks to Eric.

I had 2.6.5 fail to save the other day so exported all my updated tiddlers and can not re-import them. So I am keen for the 2.7.0 Release.

Any new time frame ?

Thank in Advance
Tony

TonyM

Nov 30, 2012, 10:10:31 PM11/30/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I can download the http://tiddlywiki.com/beta/ because there is no download tiddler or button.

Any help appreciated.

Yakov

Dec 3, 2012, 12:53:26 PM12/3/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Tony,

have you tried to save the page using "save as"? In FireFox, saving with the file type "all files" seems to work for this purpose.

Best regards,
Yakov.

David Szego

Dec 3, 2012, 3:50:28 PM12/3/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Right-click and save-as your own link to the beta, above. That will save a "fresh" copy of the beta.

FYI - Importing works for me, if I enter the filename as a URL instead of hitting browse, under FF10 Portable on Win7.  ...doesn't seem to be successful in any other method I've tried!