Just a little starting help

Paperoga

Feb 18, 2018, 10:17:09 AM2/18/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi everybody,
I've discovered TW, and I think it's what I want to learn to use.
It's smart in its concepts and open source and so on..

I've got some application in my mind, since I've been using software like outliners, TheBrain, Ultimate todo list, Evernote etc.,
but I'm not a programmer. (I just wrote a few Pascal and C code when I was young, and now I'm 51)

Maybe I can use TW for mixed knowledge base, organizing (scheduling) and sharing purpose.
But at first, while learning, I'd need some solid point for a beginner in the sea.

My english is quite poor (I'm from Italy), sorry, but I try to ask a couple of questions :

- How to dock, and possibly resize a tiddler ? How to move the sidebar up ?

-Why is the Control panel empty, once I saved TyddlyWiki on my hard disk ?

Thanks to anybody who is kind enough to answer or point me to the right beginners tutorial !

BurningTreeC

Feb 18, 2018, 11:56:15 AM2/18/18
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Paperoga,

there are others in this group that know more about solid beginner tutorials
I can give you these links:
With control panel you mean this: https://tiddlywiki.com/#%24%3A%2FControlPanel ?
Where did you download your TiddlyWiki?

In the ControlPanel under "Info" you can click on "retain story ordering" - that saves your open tiddlers and they will be open when you restart after saving
Where would you like to move the sidebar?
You can control appearance through so-called Stylesheet Tiddlers - they are tiddlers with the tag $:/tags/Stylesheet where you can put css style definitions into

Saluti dal nord,
Simon

Paperoga

Feb 20, 2018, 3:55:42 PM2/20/18
to TiddlyWiki

Hi Simon, (from Germany ?)

thanks for the link, the tutorial are good!

Yes, I mean that control panel, and I download TW just from there, 4.5 Mb

including documentation. Even the empty.html I've downloaded is with

..nothing, in the control panel. I've tried to d&d (import) $:/ControlPanel from the site to the copy on my pc, and it ends up in an empty tiddler again.

I don't understand.

I'd like to move the sidebar from right to up, or left. Is that possible ?

Better, do you know a simple enough way to do that ?

I shall try to learn some CSS, besides WikiText and a little

Javascript, little by little.

For now I need the basic to use TW to learn TW. Right ?

Greetings from south ( Venice )

Davide

Surya

Feb 20, 2018, 4:51:56 PM2/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Davide,

I am a beginner too (since about 2 months).

I downloaded now about 10 or 15 times an empty TW (for several private wikis and for testing purposes). All of them had after downloading 1,9MB.
And never the control panel was empty.

I think, you should start again just from the beginning.
When you got to https://tiddlywiki.com, scroll a little bit down, then you are at the "GettingStarted"-Tiddler. There is a green button with "Download empty". Klick that. Your empty TW gets downloaded, if you click ok. It will have 1,9MB and the control panel won't be empty.

In the control panel you can set many first settings (style, fonts, sizes, colours and so on).
In my opinion you should end there for the beginning with stylings.
I would then start learning TW with creating tiddlers, tagging them, make them visible in the sidebar (if you want) for example with TableOfContents.
And so on.
Just to make yourself familiar with TW. Very much later I would go deeper to the styling options.
But that's just my opinion.

TW is hard to learn (for me), but it's fantastic!! :-)
Best wishes, Surya

BurningTreeC

Feb 23, 2018, 2:44:38 AM2/23/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Davide,

Am Dienstag, 20. Februar 2018 21:55:42 UTC+1 schrieb Paperoga:

Hi Simon, (from Germany ? )

Almost, South Tyrol, Alto Adige - it's almost austria though

thanks for the link, the tutorial are good!

Yes, I mean that control panel, and I download TW just from there, 4.5 Mb

including documentation. Even the empty.html I've downloaded is with

..nothing, in the control panel. I've tried to d&d (import) $:/ControlPanel from the site to the copy on my pc, and it ends up in an empty tiddler again.

I don't understand.

I'd like to move the sidebar from right to up, or left. Is that possible ?

Better, do you know a simple enough way to do that ?

I shall try to learn some CSS, besides WikiText and a little

Javascript, little by little.

For now I need the basic to use TW to learn TW. Right ?

That's right, first I would start with CSS and WikiText, that already enables you to do a lot
For the sidebar ...

You can try this on https://tiddlywiki.com and see if it is what you need:

  • create a new tiddler and tag it with: $:/tags/Stylesheet
  • add this:

.tc-sidebar-scrollable {
    position
: fixed;
    height
: 300px;
    top
: 0px;
    left
: 42px;
    width
: 100%;
    padding
-left: 84px;
    padding
-top: 22px;
}

<<if-sidebar """

.tc-story-river {
    position: fixed;
    top: 300px;
    width: 100%;
    height: 100%;
    overflow-y: scroll;
}

.tc-tiddler-frame {
    width: calc(100% - 42px);
}

"""

  • save the tiddler
  • the sidebar should then be on top and the story river below
  • this overrides some settings you can make in the ControlPanel

Greetings from south ( Venice )

Davide

Simon

Steven Schneider

Feb 23, 2018, 2:23:36 PM2/23/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Davide (and Surya, and anyone else...):

As far as learning TiddlyWiki: one of my missions / passions is introducing TW and getting folks up & running. To that end, you might find my exercises & tutorials & vidoes helpful: http://designwritestudio.com. There, I run an open class (you can start anytime!) with a series of exercises. I also run a weekly live workshop on Monday evenings 730pm NY time on Zoom (a screen share app).

//steve.

Paperoga

Feb 28, 2018, 4:40:32 AM2/28/18
to TiddlyWiki

Hi, thanks to BTC, I'm tryng the tweak, and everybody for contributing

@Simon: così tecnicamente sei italiano. Io non parlo tedesco ma ho bazzicato parecchio San Candido, Dobbiaco e Brunico in passato. Bei posti.

@Steven: Great to know that! I shall explore your site, despite my poor english.

So I'm learning a bit of this rare high level programming environment (correct ?) ...

BurningTreeC

Feb 28, 2018, 4:50:10 AM2/28/18
to TiddlyWiki

Hi, thanks to BTC, I'm tryng the tweak, and everybody for contributing

@Simon: così tecnicamente sei italiano. Io non parlo tedesco ma ho bazzicato parecchio San Candido, Dobbiaco e Brunico in passato. Bei posti.

tecnicamente :) ... sì
Arrivo proprio da lì , una valleta a metà strada tra Dobbiaco e Brunico

have fun with TW,
Simon