FEATURE REQUEST: instruction text for Tiddler Manager

A Gloom

Sep 7, 2019, 2:48:36 AM9/7/19
to TiddlyWiki
I have been making an effort to use the toolts that TW comes with like the Tiddler Manager-- a really nifty utility.  But one thing actually hampered me from using it more (and probably other new users)-- the realization that the wikify text/raw text sections expand and collapse.  Some instructional text on those headers or in mouse over/hover tooltips for them would make their purposes, full function more apparent to the new user.  The raw text option is a very good concept for being able to copy and paste code from existing tiddlers.

I'll have my order medium rare with horseradish please << >>

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 7, 2019, 3:26:30 AM9/7/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi A Gloom,

I have been making an effort to use the toolts that TW comes with like the Tiddler Manager-- a really nifty utility.  But one thing actually hampered me from using it more (and probably other new users)-- the realization that the wikify text/raw text sections expand and collapse.  Some instructional text on those headers or in mouse over/hover tooltips for them would make their purposes, full function more apparent to the new user.  The raw text option is a very good concept for being able to copy and paste code from existing tiddlers.

I agree that the tiddler manager is currently rather inscrutable. It’s going to take a fair amount of text to describe why and how one uses it, so rather than making that be a translatable string in the core it may be better to provide a help button that links to some more extensive new docs at https://tiddlywiki.com/#UsingTiddlerManager.

If you’d like to take it further, feel free to create a new GitHub ticket.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

I'll have my order medium rare with horseradish please << >>

TonyM

Sep 7, 2019, 3:43:26 AM9/7/19
to TiddlyWiki
A Gloom,

Thats a good point. I keep forgetting its there. A way to transclude its tiddler dialogue to edit another tiddler could also be helpful. In effect another approach to an editor.

Regards
Tony

@TiddlyTweeter

Sep 8, 2019, 8:05:48 AM9/8/19
to TiddlyWiki
 help button that links to some more extensive new docs at https://tiddlywiki.com/#UsingTiddlerManager.

Ciao JR

That does not resolve?

TT

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 9, 2019, 9:26:36 AM9/9/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi TT

That does not resolve?

No, that tiddler doesn’t exist because it was part of a proposal I was making for the implementation of the instruction text. It’s a suggestion.

Best wishes

Jeremy

TT

A Gloom

Sep 10, 2019, 10:22:49 PM9/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy

I agree that the tiddler manager is currently rather inscrutable. It’s going to take a fair amount of text to describe why and how one uses it, so rather than making that be a translatable string in the core it may be better to provide a help button that links to some more extensive new docs at https://tiddlywiki.com/#UsingTiddlerManager.

understood

If you’d like to take it further, feel free to create a new GitHub ticket.

I just may-- finaally setup a Tiddlyspot account- uploaded a wiki, setup Inkscape & Gimp forumn accounts-- posted my GTK theme fix for invisible tooltip text on Windows High Contrast Black system theme... who knows, finally setting up a Github account may be next.  Though Sept is time to focus on family which means the 18th and potentially final chapter to the "Of Rags and Shadows" story which involves using TW to tie all the chapters, components and versions of the past 18 years into one interactive novel/"chose your adventure".