[TW5] Any way to disable "You have unsaved changes in TiddlyWiki" message?

Jason Hanford-Smith

Apr 3, 2014, 4:08:48 PM4/3/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Here's my scenario:

I'm using 5.0.8-beta as a help system to be run from an internal web server. I use Tiddly Desktop to create the content and then copy the updated html file to the server.

The problem:

Whenever a user views the "site" and then tries to close the browser window, they get the "You have unsaved changes in TiddlyWiki". This happens even if they close it after just opening it. It also happens in all the desktop browsers we're using (IE, Chrome, Firefox).

The users will never make changes to the content and so I don't need any automatic saving capability, but I also don't want this popup.

Is there a configuration setting I can make to disable this?

Thanks,

--Jason

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 4, 2014, 6:37:27 AM4/4/14
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jason

> Is there a configuration setting I can make to disable this?

There's no configuration setting for this at the moment, but probably should be. It can also be a problem on tiddlywiki.com; if visitors switch theme or language then they'll get the same prompt when they attempt to navigate away.

I've added a ticket:

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 10, 2014, 4:09:38 AM4/10/14
to TiddlyWiki, jason.han...@gmail.com
Hi Jason

I just realised that there is in fact a way to suppress the "save changes" warning. We can configure the filter that the sync engine uses to determine if a tiddler should trigger an unsaved changes warning.

You need to create a tiddler "$:/config/SyncFilter" containing a filter that doesn't return any tiddlers (for example "[!is[tiddler]is[tiddler]]").

Let me know how it goes,

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Jason Hanford-Smith

Apr 10, 2014, 12:12:30 PM4/10/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jason.han...@gmail.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Thanks Jeremy.

That worked for Chrome and Firefox. Unsurprisingly, I have a different problem with IE now: I get a pop-up with "Message from webpage: null".

This is in IE 11 on Windows 8.1

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 10, 2014, 12:24:55 PM4/10/14
to Jason Hanford-Smith, TiddlyWiki
Hi Jason

That worked for Chrome and Firefox. Unsurprisingly, I have a different problem with IE now: I get a pop-up with "Message from webpage: null".

That problem has been fixed for 5.0.9:

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jason Hanford-Smith

Apr 11, 2014, 12:33:17 PM4/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Jason Hanford-Smith, jeremy...@gmail.com
Excellent news.

Shall I wait for a 5.0.9-beta to be released or is there somewhere I can get a standalone "empty" version?

Andreas Hahn

Apr 11, 2014, 1:48:08 PM4/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Jason Hanford-Smith, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jason,

you can just grab it from the github repository and build it yourself (there are scripts which automatically do that for you once you installed nodejs, if you haven't already).

Jason Hanford-Smith

Apr 11, 2014, 5:51:50 PM4/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Jason Hanford-Smith, jeremy...@gmail.com
Thanks Andreas. Didn't think of doing that. Now I'm happily running 5.0.9

Grigor

Mar 7, 2020, 1:29:43 PM3/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy

Resurrecting this stale thread, as this did not work for me in 5.1.19 and I have found this workaround that is (seems so far to be working) fine for my purposes:

I put a minus sign at the beginning of: $:/config/SaverFilter

I also do some other things before I publish a public version (and this is just a playground wiki, where I'll be getting my TW act together :)

HTH someone…

Many, many thanks Jeremy for creating and steering this gift of a wiki, and to all contributors, my hat's off to y'all :)

-g-