How to override a theme while making sure future upgrade goes smoothless?

talha131

Sep 9, 2020, 3:06:34 PM9/9/20
to TiddlyWiki

I am using JD’s material theme. I want to customize some portion of the theme in the tiddler.

$:/themes/jd/Material/Template/Header-Sidebar

If I understand correctly, I will have to remove and edit some widgets.

How do I make sure that if I edit the tiddler, I can smoothly upgrade to a future version of Material Theme?

TW Tones

Sep 9, 2020, 9:56:40 PM9/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Talha,

First some customisation will not be impacted after an upgrade depending on how a plugin or theme is written.

There is no specific standard for this, however I suggest at a minimum export your own package of customised tiddlers and a reference "delta" or differences. If the plugin is upgraded, delete all you modified tiddlers, upgrade the plugin, check to see what customisation you may want to restore, perhaps the upgrade addressed them?, then import your customisation's. Either in the import preview, or after import in the tiddler preview compare the overwritten shadows with your customisation's and with the new shadows and decides which you will keep, which changes you abandon, and which you will re-write.

From experience as you save you customisation's include a tiddler containing instructions to your self on why and how you customised the theme. When you return you may have forgotten, leave a note to yourself.

Another supporting export is export the plugin with you updates should you need to do a quick revert to the previous plugin version.

I hope one day we will make a process to support this process, if only to detect and isolate such customisation's at upgrade.

Regards
Tones