[ demo ] Editor for lists (Streams)

Saq Imtiaz

Aug 18, 2020, 12:43:12 PM8/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
I am going through a busy period at the moment and don't really have time for discussions, but I wanted to share a demo that may provide inspiration for others working on solutions similar to Streams.

Streams was written specifically for the ability to easily create multiple tiddlers with a fast workflow while creating content. However I realize that many people use it just for the fast writing experience for lists, but do not actually want to create multiple tiddlers. Hopefully some of those needs are met by the Editor AutoLists solution that was posted recently.

Here is another take on a better writing experience for lists that leverages the advantages of breaking content into tiddlers in TW, but doesn't result in multiple tiddlers in the end.

Cheers,
Saq

TW Tones

Aug 18, 2020, 8:43:30 PM8/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
Saq,

Beautiful. Lists really are a fundamental element we use, very nice.

A common desire for many is to turn them into actions lists, ie add a checkbox, in TWC we had the addon that used [_] and [X] when checked and the text was updated.

As you have done with Streams and this example, and the inclusion of checkboxes/status, we are addressing key user needs rather than technical issues.

Nice Work
Tones

Atronoush Parsi

Aug 19, 2020, 7:30:19 AM8/19/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I love this!
I myself like to keep one topic in a single tiddler and this lets me to do so!
I noticed I can even keep separate tiddlers if I like and the subtiddlers will only be deleted if I click the save button!
Clever solution!

Thank you Saq!

Atro

Eskha

Aug 19, 2020, 7:56:15 AM8/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello TW Tones,

For the checkbox, you also have a plugin in TW5:

Best regards,

Eskha

clutterstack

Aug 19, 2020, 6:10:20 PM8/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for sharing this interesting hybrid experience, Saq.

A minor hiccup in my test: I managed to break it by accidentally leaving an empty bullet ("TypeError: list.children[i].children[0] is undefined").

Cheers,
Chris

TW Tones

Aug 19, 2020, 6:52:15 PM8/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Eskha,

That checklist tool is an old favourite. My question is I suppose how do we get something similar you work on actual "Streams" items, however in many cases this inside a subtiddler will be enough.

Regards
Tones

Saq Imtiaz

Aug 20, 2020, 1:18:18 AM8/20/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Clutterstack I'm not surprised, I hammered this out very quickly with no regard for error handling or edge cases. I think it illustrates the point well enough, i.e. making use of in built facilities for manipulating tiddlers even when the end goal is not to work with tiddler.

I also think that extending and using the parser is something that is overlooked in TW.

Cheers,
Saq

Victor Dorneanu

Sep 20, 2020, 4:32:16 AM9/20/20
to TiddlyWiki
I think this editor-only version of Streams is pretty awesome! With regards to other threads like this one where people discuss about Tiddlywiki's Zettelkasten abilities and whether each thought/idea should be only one tiddler (with an unique ID), I'm not sure yet if I really need timestamp based tiddlers. What I indeed have needed was a easy way to edit lists in a tiddler. And this is exactly what I was waiting for :) Thanks for your time and efforts!

TW Tones

Sep 21, 2020, 12:22:27 AM9/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Saq,

Thanks for this variation. Its elegant in many ways.

Some observations to do with as you please.
  • In this case you are using the "*" wiki text to target the lines.
    • The recent tool to allow new lines to maintain the depth of bullets would go nicely with this, ie **something<enter> creates the new line prefixed by **
    • In some work I am doing with Mario (he is doing the lions share of coding), we are looking at introducing new pragmas, custom ones. I see some relationships to this (beware its a "rabbit hole" we are currently mapping), but it is revolutionary. So your input would be welcome, keeping in mind "a lot of water has already gone under the bridge".
  • If you could ignore and reinstate content that does not start "*" as an example it would help, but I expect you have thought about that.
  • Finally when writing such lists one of my most common desires is to have some as a checklist, or to do item. The ability to indicate it needs to be done or has being done or cancelled.
Any way, just food for thought.

As a "heavily engaged in tiddlywiki enthusiast", I must say the opportunities and innovations this year 2020 are extensive and will take time to propagate into everyday users, but developers such as yourself help this by maintaining robust integrated solutions. I remain active in the non plugin area as a super user to always offer that perspective, I hope it helps.

Thank You
Tones

Victor Dorneanu

Sep 21, 2020, 4:40:07 AM9/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
One more thing to add: Do I always have to add a field "streams-type: singletiddler" in order to edit the tiddler's content?

Saq Imtiaz

Sep 22, 2020, 5:01:01 AM9/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Victor.

Please keep in mind that this was written and shared to demonstrate an alternative approach, rather than something meant to be used. As such the workflow isn't fully thought through. You do need to set stream-type to single tiddler to enable this on a given tiddler. You could set up a custom new tiddler button for "list tiddlers" that sets up the field for you.

Make sure you are aware of the limitations mentioned in the original post.

Be especially careful about the potential for data loss if non-list content is included in a tiddler edited in this manner. (Ideally editing such a tiddler in the regular manner would be disabled to avoid this).

Cheers,
Saq

Jeronimo Minino

Dec 13, 2020, 12:06:54 PM12/13/20
to TiddlyWiki
hmmm I visited the linked Github page but could not understand what to download or how to do it.
And as of today, the second link seems to be dead.

Eskha