Imminent release of v5.1.23

Jeremy Ruston

Nov 30, 2020, 6:36:42 AM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki Group
I’m hoping that we’ll be able to release v5.1.23 of TiddlyWiki towards the end of this week. There’s some discussion over on GitHub about the last few loose ends to be tied up:

The most important call to action is for developers of plugins and adaptations to take this opportunity to verify that the new release doesn’t break anything.

The second call to action is for as many people as possible to put the new release through it’s paces by performing a test upgrade of the wikis that are important to them. Don’t switch over to the new version yet, of course.

You can upgrade single file wikis here:

This is a really quite a massive release, with over 160 new features listed in the release note. (I am working on improvements to the presentation of the release note, it’s a bit of a wall of text right now).

Just to mention a handful of new features that I’m particularly excited about:

* Keyboard support for the main core dropdowns: search, new tag, tiddler type, new field, and the “link” button in the editor toolbar
* The beginnings of support for switchable page templates (referred to as layouts), which will give us a route to introduce a more modern alternative layout
* The ability to rename tiddlers during the import process (and to easily see which incoming tiddlers will overwrite existing tiddlers)
* Many new filter operators that together make the TiddlyWiki filter language significantly more powerful and expressive
* Improvements to the “tm-scroll” message making it possible to scroll to positions within a tiddler
* Via the JSZip plugin, the ability to dynamically create ZIP files, giving us the ability to create static sites in the browser
* New <$action-log> and <$log> widgets to aid debugging

There are many, many bug fixes and other improvements too.

As ever, I’m profoundly grateful to all the contributors who have pulled together to make this such an exciting release. You can see here how much activity there’s been since v5.1.22:

My own contribution graph (below) shows nicely how this release covers my illness and recovery from COVID, and undoubtedly a strange and painful time for all of us. I couldn’t be more pleased that this community has thrived, and seems to be working together so well at the moment.

Please respond with any questions and thoughts here.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Saq Imtiaz

Nov 30, 2020, 7:19:57 AM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
If you use the Streams plugin, please update it before trying to update to 5.1.23 or bad things will happen.

Streams update to v 0.1.17: https://saqimtiaz.github.io/streams/
This is a compatibility update for the upcoming release of TiddlyWiki 5.1.23

TW Tones

Nov 30, 2020, 7:43:05 AM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy,

Very exciting with another milestone in TiddlyWikis evolution. I have being following these changes for some time and many will be quite expansive, and a lot of solutions are likely to follow.

Interesting to see that graph.

Bravo to you and all concerned.

Shortly I will publish an on line copy with local storage allowing easy testing of the pre-release including with plugin installs without download. Perhaps this could become a standard part of the release process. It may encourage more people to test, although a copy of any wiki, upgraded to the pre-release is a great way for people to test whole wikis. (But testers do revert to your original until the final release).

I will endeavour to break it :)

Regards
Tony

IvanPsy

Nov 30, 2020, 7:55:37 AM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Waiting for the new release, then!

How do I upgrade, considering I'm using Stroll?

How do I upgrade the other plugins?

Is drag and drop of the main TiddlyWiki and of the other plugins enough?

Jeremy Ruston

Nov 30, 2020, 8:01:09 AM11/30/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony

Thank you, much appreciated.

Shortly I will publish an on line copy with local storage allowing easy testing of the pre-release including with plugin installs without download. Perhaps this could become a standard part of the release process. It may encourage more people to test, although a copy of any wiki, upgraded to the pre-release is a great way for people to test whole wikis. (But testers do revert to your original until the final release).

I should have also pointed out the 10.5MB "full" edition which is loaded with many more plugins than the prerelease:

Let me know if there are any plugins missed off,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Mohammad

Nov 30, 2020, 9:09:24 AM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy,

 Many many thanks for this great release. It has a lot of exciting features.
 I appreciate the efforts, time and talent of all developers and contributors.

I hope sometimes in near future we could have a TW blog, a site or similar be able to
introduce, discuss and demonstrate all amazing features of new releases.

For all of us it is a wonderful news to see you again full of health and energy working on developing and improving Tiddlywiki!

P.s: I kindly ask all users in this forum to give a try and test new release candidate. A real user test will show many blind points to developers.

Best wishes
Mohammad

Mohammad

Nov 30, 2020, 9:12:59 AM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
IvanPsy,
 1. Make a backup of your wiki.
 2. Drag and drop your wiki on  https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/upgrade.html
 3. Save

For more information see

clutterstack

Nov 30, 2020, 10:36:32 AM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
This is exciting and intimidating! Thanks for this, Jeremy (and everyone who contributed).

The plot is very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. While just one snapshot of one metric, I suspect it does illustrate something that will be real and significant on a larger scale (and which will hit many of us individually).

Best,
Chris

TiddlyTweeter

Nov 30, 2020, 10:58:27 AM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy ...
* The beginnings of support for switchable page templates (referred to as layouts), which will give us a route to introduce a more modern alternative layout

I noticed that. I think its a very good step. Alongside what PMario is doing to greatly expand WikiText, the fluidity of the visuals in TW will being to approach the flex the more programmatic aspects have. I seriously believe "looks" matter. They are never really passive. They help shape good realization.

Thanks!
Best wishes
TT

jtech108

Nov 30, 2020, 11:48:13 AM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Many blessings to Jeremy and the contributors of the community.
Anxiously awaiting the release.

Regards all,
Julio

coda coder

Nov 30, 2020, 4:15:16 PM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
There's a lot to be excited about in this release, far too many things to mention here. But this... I'm unashamedly ecstatic about ...

Thanks Saq!

History Buff

Nov 30, 2020, 4:36:35 PM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
All,

Admittedly, I've only tried to play with it for about half an hour, but I noticed that the font-family from my theme tweaks was no longer being used. I see that vanilla base was modfied to include the following which seems to be causing my issues:

/** Improve consistency of default fonts in all browsers. (https://github.com/sindresorhus/modern-normalize/issues/3) */ body { font-family: system-ui, -apple-system, /* Firefox supports this but not yet `system-ui` */ 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, 'Apple Color Emoji', 'Segoe UI Emoji'; }

If I use the inspect tool with Chrome to take that out, all goes back to normal.

Sylvain Naudin

Nov 30, 2020, 4:47:20 PM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy,

I'll trying to test 5.1.23 with rework of my last wiki project from scratch and step by step.
I've open this issue about CamelCase which can't disable with ControlPanel config. I reproduce it on online prerelease too.

All the best,
Sylvain

Saq Imtiaz

Nov 30, 2020, 4:48:02 PM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
@coda coder I want to take credit for that because I kick myself for not thinking of it. However that was all Jeremy's idea.

I just got excited when he posted an early version and  took on the task of polishing it up so it was ready for 5.1.23. I share your excitement, it is the most excited I have been about something new in TW since we first got custom fields way back in the days of TiddlyWiki Classic.

Cheers,
Saq

Saq Imtiaz

Nov 30, 2020, 5:01:02 PM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
@History Buff :

are you changing your font family via the Control Panel and the  $:/themes/tiddlywiki/vanilla/settings/fontfamily  tiddler?
That should override the font specified by normalize.

Or are you just specifying a different font-family in a stylesheet tiddler?

History Buff

Nov 30, 2020, 5:11:15 PM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
I am changing the font family via the Control Panel and theme tweaks. That's why I am a little confused on why that would change behavior.

coda coder

Nov 30, 2020, 5:19:56 PM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 3:48:02 PM UTC-6 Saq wrote
@coda coder I want to take credit for that because I kick myself for not thinking of it. However that was all Jeremy's idea.

Oh. Sorry and THANKS Jeremy!

@Saq - I took your example and played around with it, posted a comment (my first, ever) before I realized it didn't/doesn't save :(

Basically, copied your example to a new tiddler, added a field "thing = null", added a button up top which is populated by ((!!thing}}, added an $action-setfield that placed data-item-id in the thing field (which of course then appears in the button). Dumb as hell but gets the life-cycle point across "live".

I just got excited when he posted an early version and  took on the task of polishing it up so it was ready for 5.1.23. I share your excitement, it is the most excited I have been about something new in TW since we first got custom fields way back in the days of TiddlyWiki Classic.

Ha! I remember it well. THIS change does it for me - and $log comes in a close second THAT was you right?). I have some huge wikis here that seemed to work a little snappier in 5.1.23 so I'm super pleased and somewhat amazed how little they've grown byte for byte. Amazing work all round!

CodaCoder

Saq Imtiaz

Nov 30, 2020, 5:48:40 PM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
One of the truly positive things about this release to me, has been the very constructive and rewarding collaboration between all the contributing developers. It has made for a very enjoyable and productive experience and the variety of quality inputs and perspectives has led to a better final product.

TW Tones

Nov 30, 2020, 6:15:35 PM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Folks,

While Fonts is a matter of discussion, I want to raise the work with Mario, TT and I, for customise wikitext, we are in the process of trying to ensure extended Unicode Characters have a font available for all (or as many as possible) extended code points , support is quite good on my machine (Win10) FF & Chrome but we expect this may be patchy on other platforms. We do not expect all the languages because individuals are likely to have these fonts if they use another language. We are more interested in the alternative arguably "international" code pages offer a diverse set of possibilities from names spaces in alternate alphanumeric, icons to make into buttons, Cards/Dominos and much more. Even the wonderful Font Awesome may not add much additional value if we can tape into the Unicode extended characters.

So anyone with the knowledge and skills that could propose and additional font family etc... that may support the use of these characters on multiple platforms would be well timed before the next release.

I have a test page here, which I will improve and update that makes reviewing the first 60,000 possibilities easy, be it reaches towards 140,0000 L:ater this should be a helpful tool for identifying ones you need.

Note: it takes time to load and has no splash image Yet.

Regards
Tones

TW Tones

Nov 30, 2020, 7:15:55 PM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy - Thanks,

Testers you can use the Full edition online for testing.
Now you can install additional plugins etc... although you can't save online the changes are stored in browser memory and you can reload and test anything.

Just for testing, you may loose your content.

Tones

Saq Imtiaz

Nov 30, 2020, 11:55:36 PM11/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
@History Buff I am not able to re-create the problem.

At tiddlywiki.com/prerelease I changed the font family via theme tweaks to:
"sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji" and the changes are applied immediately.

Can you specify the exact font-family you are trying to use and that the problem exists on the current version at
https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/
Thank you.

History Buff

Dec 1, 2020, 9:24:59 AM12/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
I've tried several system fonts (installed with Windows), the google fonts that I have embedded in my TW as well as exactly what you had and none of them had any effect. It's as if that particular setting is being completely ignored. I upgraded my TW via the upgrade website and saved as a new file so as not to mess up my original.  What's interesting is that areas of my TW that have the font specified via custom stylesheet are working just fine. It's only the stuff that uses the control panel / theme tweaks setting.

History Buff

Dec 1, 2020, 9:28:19 AM12/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
One further observation is that it's only the "font family" setting that seems to be having the issue. The "editor font  family" setting is being used. I haven't checked the "code font family" yet.

Saq Imtiaz

Dec 1, 2020, 9:29:47 AM12/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
@History Buff without more specifics I am afraid there isn't much I can do to debug this.

Can you please specify:
- a font family that fails to work as expected.
- whether the same problem occurs if you visit tiddlywiki.com/prerelease and apply that font family via theme tweaks.

Saq Imtiaz

Dec 1, 2020, 9:35:56 AM12/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
@History Buff also confirm that you have not edited the $:/themes/tiddlywiki/vanilla/base tiddler

History Buff

Dec 1, 2020, 9:45:42 AM12/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
I can confirm that I have not edited vanilla base.

I tried changing the font setting on the prerelease website and that worked just fine. So there' something about my TW that's causing the issue. I'll have to pull that thread to see what I can find.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Saq Imtiaz

Dec 1, 2020, 9:58:48 AM12/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
@History Buff while unlikely, the upgrade mechanism could potentially be the culprit as well. Instead of using the upgrader, save the empty file from https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/empty.html and try importing the contents of your old TW into it, and see if the problem is still there.

What has changed in 5.1.23 with regards to the font-family is that previously this CSS rule was applied to html and now is applied to html, body. (So an older version of the vanilla base tiddler would cause problems.)

Soren Bjornstad

Dec 1, 2020, 11:14:36 AM12/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
I use the vim keymapping with CodeMirror. After upgrading, when I'm in normal mode and the cursor is supposed to display as a block, it is instead completely invisible. It looks normal when it's in I-beam mode. I am guessing this is related to theming the text input area. The issue is not confined to a specific palette.

Obviously, the editor is just about unusable in this state.

Can anyone else reproduce this, or is it something weird with my wiki?

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 5:36:42 AM UTC-6 jeremy...@gmail.com wrote:
[...]

BurningTreeC

Dec 1, 2020, 11:28:45 AM12/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi @Soren Bjornstad, I'll have a look and fix this issue

History Buff

Dec 1, 2020, 11:39:00 AM12/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
I confirmed that I had not changed vanilla base even inadvertently.

I also tried the empty version of the prerelease and had the same results. There must be one of my stylesheets that's overriding the theme tweak, but I don't understand why I wouldn't have seen this before. I'll continue investigating.

History Buff

Dec 1, 2020, 3:28:50 PM12/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
So I did the upgrade via the upgrade website again only this time I unchecked vanilla base after dragging my TW into the upgrade tool. Saved the file with a new name and that works just fine.

So when I drag my TW over the upgrade tool and then it presents a list of tiddlers before I click the upgrade button, I'm assuming that this is the list of tiddlers that are getting imported into the prerelease version from my TW. Is that a correct assumption? If that's true, then my old vanilla base was overwriting the prerelease version. Am I getting that right or am I completely confused?

Saq Imtiaz

Dec 1, 2020, 3:34:48 PM12/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
History Buff:

So when I drag my TW over the upgrade tool and then it presents a list of tiddlers before I click the upgrade button, I'm assuming that this is the list of tiddlers that are getting imported into the prerelease version from my TW. Is that a correct assumption?

Yes that is correct. Though vanilla base should only be in that list and get imported if it exists as a non-shadow tiddler. Trying editing it in your old wiki, I suspect you wont get a warning that you are about to edit a shadow tiddler as it exists as a real tiddler.

History Buff

Dec 1, 2020, 3:38:22 PM12/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
You're absolutely right. At some point in the distant past, I must have modified vanilla base for some reason and forgotten. Now I wonder what I changed. Thanks so much!

Saq Imtiaz

Dec 1, 2020, 3:46:52 PM12/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
@History Buff try to drag you vanilla base into an empty TW, version 5.1.22
In the import dialog, you can choose to view a diff between your version and the default version to see what has changed.

History Buff

Dec 1, 2020, 4:40:34 PM12/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks. I did a diff and saw a few things that I must have done in my early TW days. Must have been before I started doing custom stylesheets. Oh well, we'll see if I'll even notice those changes being gone. Onwards and upwards!!

bimlas

Dec 3, 2020, 9:49:21 AM12/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
A breaking change seems to have emerged: The attached tiddler contains a custom search results tab which, in addition to normal results, also displayed missing tiddlers and buttons to create new tiddlers based on the search text. It worked correctly in 5.1.22, no longer in 5.1.23. Look for the word "Git" on TW.com: in 5.1.23 it only lists missing tiddlers, not normal results.

The problem is that I transclude the default search results tiddler into the current one, but the macro in it refers to the fields, which doesn't work because of transclude. So I had to expand transclude in my search results.

Works in 5.1.22:

{{$:/core/ui/DefaultSearchResultList}}

Modification for 5.1.23:

<$vars configTiddler="$:/core/ui/DefaultSearchResultList">
{{$:/core/ui/DefaultSearchResultList}}
</$vars>

Although the problem was easily resolved in my case, it is a backward incompatible modification, which is why I indicate it.
$__bimlas_sidebar_search-with-new-button.json

bimlas

Dec 3, 2020, 9:55:34 AM12/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
The problem is that I transclude the default search results tiddler into the current one, but the macro in it refers to the fields, which doesn't work because of transclude. So I had to expand transclude in my search results.

Sorry,  I misrepresented the problem: the problem is that configTiddler is not defined in my tiddler.

BurningTreeC

Dec 3, 2020, 12:01:10 PM12/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Soren Bjornstad,

the vim keymap should now work like expected on the current prerelease

Saq Imtiaz

Dec 3, 2020, 12:14:57 PM12/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
@bimlas I wrote a longer reply but GG crashed and did not send it.

In short: its very good that you reported this and such issues should be highlighted with new releases to help people make the necessary changes.

However, personally,  I would not consider this a breaking change or a backwards compatibility issue. When a core template changes and we have been re-using it for custom purposes, it should be expected to have to adapt.

As long as search results tiddlers that are written from scratch work well - that is without transcluding core templates - I think this is change acceptable. However that suggests that we need to test this aspect.

Just to clarify, this change in the search results template was necessary to enable the keyboard navigation of search results.

Cheers,
Saq

Mark S.

Dec 3, 2020, 1:07:39 PM12/3/20
to TiddlyWiki

I don't use Beaker, so I can't confirm or deny it, but there are reports in the Reddit forum that the save mechanism with Beaker doesn't work any more (following changes in Beaker).

This is a bit of a problem, if true, since Beaker appears as the first choice for three main platforms. Of course, this is only alphabetical, but new-comers may not realize this and think it is the preferred option.

Saq Imtiaz

Dec 3, 2020, 1:18:10 PM12/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Mark S It seems you need the latest pre-release for Beaker 1.0

Soren Bjornstad

Dec 3, 2020, 9:41:39 PM12/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
@BurningTreeC: Thanks for looking into this! What's up there now is definitely an improvement, but the colors are still really wonky compared to 5.1.22.

First, the colors (at least on the Nord palette) now make it extremely difficult to see through the cursor, presumably because the background is now dark so the same highlight color doesn't look good.
block.png

Second, the highlight applied to matching brackets doesn't line up top to bottom. Maybe this is intentional so it's easier to tell which one is the cursor and which is the match, but to my eyes it looks a bit odd:
colors.png
Previously the other bracket changed color and the background stayed the same, like this:
2.png
Last, any text highlighted with the mouse or in visual mode is another hard-to-read color:

selection.png

ludwa6

Dec 5, 2020, 9:02:53 AM12/5/20
to TiddlyWiki

Saq Imtiaz

Dec 5, 2020, 9:58:01 AM12/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
@ludwa I believe Stroll uses a custom EditTemplate so it is quite likely that needs updating to keep up with core changes.

ludwa6

Dec 5, 2020, 10:15:16 AM12/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Plausible theory, Saq... So: following directions on the Stroll upgrade page, i took the GoldPill, upgraded my new TW instance, saved as new index.html...
But this loss of Close and Delete button functionality in the Tiddler edit view persists.
Oh, well: nothing ventured nothing gained; was worth a try.
Any other suggestions would be most welcome!

/walt

David Gifford

Dec 5, 2020, 10:15:55 AM12/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
@ludwa6: what an encouragement to hear you "can't live without" Stroll. I am glad my little experiment has been helpful for you!

@Saq: if you find more stuff from Stroll that needs updating, let me know. I am leaving to preach at a wedding, but this weekend I will update Stroll to 5.1.23, and update the giffmex custom edittemplate as well as the core edit template tiddler.

ludwa6

Dec 5, 2020, 10:26:36 AM12/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, @David Gifford -so: it's gonna hurt, but i _guess_ i can live w/o Stroll until you've got that couple married.
(that's quite a rare mix of indispensable talents you have, y'know :-)

/walt

BurningTreeC

Dec 5, 2020, 12:15:40 PM12/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Soren Bjornstad, the issues with the vim keymap and the palette colors should now be resolved

all the best, BTC

Soren Bjornstad

Dec 5, 2020, 5:40:27 PM12/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Almost there! Everything looks great except selecting text, where I am still unable to read the text that is selected because both the highlight and the text are light-colored:

bad-highlight.png

BTW, if you have trouble reproducing you can find a trimmed-down copy of the wiki I've been testing with here. Should have mentioned that before.

BurningTreeC

Dec 6, 2020, 1:43:11 AM12/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Soren Bjornstad - I've updated your wiki to the current prerelease and cannot reproduce your issue there. The text selection should have a bigger contrast to the foreground color of the text

BTC

BurningTreeC

Dec 6, 2020, 1:47:06 AM12/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
See this screenshot @Soren Bjornstad:

Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-12-06 07-40-30.png

Mohammad

Dec 6, 2020, 3:01:57 AM12/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
BTC,
 Thank you!
As I requested before, the background color of line numbers and body text is the same. In long tiddlers with line numbers on, it is difficult to distinguish the line numbers from main body text, and one confuses! Would you mind to use different background for line numbers or use higher right padding for  numbers or use a solid/colored left border for body! I mean someway to recognize the two parts easily.

Best wishes
Mohammad

BurningTreeC

Dec 6, 2020, 5:45:16 AM12/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Mohammad, in the current prerelease this should be solved

best wishes, BTC

Mohammad

Dec 6, 2020, 5:55:49 AM12/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
@BTC
Yes, it works, much appreciated.

Soren Bjornstad

Dec 6, 2020, 2:05:28 PM12/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
It's working now. Maybe my browser cached the upgrade.html or something. Thanks!

BurningTreeC

Dec 7, 2020, 4:18:45 AM12/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Soren Bjornstad, I just discovered that the highlight color didn't work for chromium-based browsers and changed that in the meantime. That's why it's working now for you, too

all the best, BTC

bimlas

Dec 8, 2020, 2:40:42 PM12/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
I'm not sure this is really a bug, but the plugin library doesn't work in prerelease (ControlPanel -> Plugins -> Get more plugins). As I guess this was the case with the other prereleases as well, because it may be related to the version numbers, but just to be sure, I'm reporting this "bug".

Mark S.

Dec 8, 2020, 3:08:07 PM12/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
From https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/ and a single-file download, it worked fine for me.

If you're using node, it won't work (since vsn ??) because you're supposed to install your plugins via your info file.

Mohammad

Dec 8, 2020, 3:56:22 PM12/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
bimlas,
This is not a bug but intentionally plugin library does not work.

Some Tiddlywiki empty file (empty.html) does not have the plugin library so one cannot install the official plugin. If so do as below

  1. import https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/#%24%3A%2Fconfig%2FOfficialPluginLibrary
  2. save and relaod
  3. got to $:/ControlPanel , Plugins tab, and click on Get more plugins

bimlas

Dec 8, 2020, 4:16:47 PM12/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the clarification, I got what caused the error: I noticed this in the prerelease full edition (https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/editions/full/) and didn't test it with the other versions. The https://tiddlywiki.com/library/v5.1.23/index.html URL is referenced by the plugin library tiddler, which is not yet available because the release is not yet available. Sorry for the unnecessary reporting.

TW Tones

Dec 8, 2020, 10:49:19 PM12/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
Folks,

Exploring the pre-release I can see the reduce operator is an advance, however these are my personal observations so far.

I understand the reduce operator has its origin in bigdata and other terminology, but it seems to me the documentation and examples is insufficient to realise its full potential for all audiences.
  • I may not be too smart, but neither am I a dummy, but the documentation is seriously hard to read.
  • Some of these features such as the index and accumulator would be nice in a regular filter, if they were available in the result of a list widget for example
The reduce operator runs a subfilter for each input title, passing the result of the previous subfilter run as a variable. The initial value of the accumulator can optionally be specified. It returns the result of the final subfilter run.

The reduce operator runs a subfilter for each input title,
input-run > [reduce<subfilter>] ?

passing the result of the previous subfilter run as a variable   (<accumulator>)
We should use quotes here "previous subfilter run"  as it needs this

In my words!
The subFilter is applied to each title in the input, each iteration off the subFilter can access the variable (<accumulator>) ie; "access the result of the previous iteration" . ie <accumulator> stores the result of the last subFilter. Thus if you use the add operator add<accumulator> to the subFilter you can sum all values.

The following variables are available within the subfilter:  <index> <accumulator> <revIndex> and <length> ONLY and <currentTiddler> varies with each title.
 The variables <index>, <revIndex> and <length>  are available if you need these values to be part of your subfilter calculations.

There is only ever one output from the reduce operator!
The last value determined is the output of the reduce operator, as a result all subfilters would be expected to include an operation with the <accumulator> variable (eg add, multiply, divide etc..)

Regards
Tones

TW Tones

Dec 21, 2020, 2:21:11 AM12/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Observation

The Tiddler  Named Filter Run Prefix in the pre-release names a prefix of OR which I believe is not currently implemented?

Tones

TW Tones

Dec 21, 2020, 2:23:16 AM12/21/20
to TiddlyWiki