Ten Ways to Drag and Drop Tiddlers to Tiddlywiki

Mohammad Rahmani

May 4, 2021, 3:50:01 AM5/4/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Drag and drop contents into Tiddlywiki for importing and exporting contents is one of the amazing features of Tiddlywiki, it is not known as it deserved.

To bring the power into attention I asked the above question and I am looking forward to see how others use this feature!

Best wishes
Mohammad

Mohammad Rahmani

May 4, 2021, 3:53:55 AM5/4/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
1. drag and drop a tiddler link
2. drag and drop a tag pill
3. drag and drop a $button with dragFilter
4. drag and drop a $button with dragTiddler
5. a $draggable widget
6. drag a tiddler to browser bookmark and later drag into another wiki
7.
8.
9.
10.

Best wishes
Mohammad

Saq Imtiaz

May 4, 2021, 3:58:40 AM5/4/21
to TiddlyWiki
Speaking of drag and drop, I was expecting to see some dropzone magic with bibtex paste/drop ? :)

Mohammad Rahmani

May 4, 2021, 4:04:26 AM5/4/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Saq,

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 12:28 PM Saq Imtiaz <saq.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
Speaking of drag and drop, I was expecting to see some dropzone magic with bibtex paste/drop ? :)

Ah! I forgot about it and yes it is an amazing new feature added by you!
The new dropzone capability to deserize content brought us many new opportunities and it deserves to be discussed in detail!
I will open a new thread and will discuss it!

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 12:19 PM Mohammad Rahmani <mohammad...@gmail.com> wrote:
Drag and drop contents into Tiddlywiki for importing and exporting contents is one of the amazing features of Tiddlywiki, it is not known as it deserved.

To bring the power into attention I asked the above question and I am looking forward to see how others use this feature!

Best wishes
Mohammad

TW Tones

May 4, 2021, 4:10:50 AM5/4/21
to TiddlyWiki
  1. Drag a tiddler from one wiki to another
  2. Export a tiddler as a tid file and drag and drop the tid file on any wiki
  3. Any title can be dropped on the text field in edit mode to add it to the text
  4. Export a set of tiddlers as a JSON file and drag and drop the JSON file on any wiki
  5. Drag and drop multiple tiddlers on a wiki, the $:/import tiddler is opened, rename the $:./import tiddler and remove its fields. You now have a JSON tiddler containing all the tiddlers that were in the import.
  6. Drag and drop plugins (of course) to install.
  7. add Mohammads items
  8. Drop tiddlers or text on suitably configured buttons
  9. ...

Mohammad Rahmani

May 4, 2021, 5:00:09 AM5/4/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Tones! Lovely!

Best wishes
Mohammad

Joshua Fontany

May 4, 2021, 6:32:42 PM5/4/21
to TiddlyWiki
Drag and Drop a whole wiki into another wiki (a more recent TW version) to automatically import all user-created tiddlers into the new wiki.

David Gifford

May 5, 2021, 10:06:42 AM5/5/21
to TiddlyWiki
But who is going to pick up all these dragon droppings?

Mohammad Rahmani

May 5, 2021, 10:40:03 AM5/5/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 3:02 AM Joshua Fontany <joshua....@gmail.com> wrote:
Drag and Drop a whole wiki into another wiki (a more recent TW version) to automatically import all user-created tiddlers into the new wiki.

Ah yes, this is a great one on manual upgrading!

Mohammad Rahmani

May 5, 2021, 10:42:07 AM5/5/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 6:36 PM David Gifford <dgif...@crcna.org> wrote:
But who is going to pick up all these dragon droppings?

Dave,  may be for doing the same job we can ask what is the best practice?
But I love this drag and drop feature ;-)

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 2:50:01 AM UTC-5 Mohammad wrote:
Drag and drop contents into Tiddlywiki for importing and exporting contents is one of the amazing features of Tiddlywiki, it is not known as it deserved.

To bring the power into attention I asked the above question and I am looking forward to see how others use this feature!

Best wishes
Mohammad

PMario

May 5, 2021, 1:17:20 PM5/5/21
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 9:53:55 AM UTC+2 Mohammad wrote:

6. drag a tiddler to browser bookmark and later drag into another wiki

Thanks, to bring this to my attention again. ... I completely forgot about it!

In normal cases I go the "export to json" import route, because I do have a "backup" in the downloads folder.

-m

PMario

May 5, 2021, 1:20:57 PM5/5/21
to TiddlyWiki
On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 4:42:07 PM UTC+2 Mohammad wrote:
On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 6:36 PM David Gifford <dgif...@crcna.org> wrote:
But who is going to pick up all these dragon droppings?

Dave,  may be for doing the same job we can ask what is the best practice?
But I love this drag and drop feature ;-)

You are right. We take this feature for granted. ... But lot of work went into this functionality.

-m

Mohammad Rahmani

May 5, 2021, 1:42:39 PM5/5/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 9:47 PM PMario <pmar...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 9:53:55 AM UTC+2 Mohammad wrote:

6. drag a tiddler to browser bookmark and later drag into another wiki

Hi Mario,

Thanks, to bring this to my attention again. ... I completely forgot about it!

Yes, this is such a powerful feature! Many do not know about it!
I have a bundle of utility tiddlers packed as JSON and stored in a bookmark (Chrome, FF) and when I visit a Tiddlywiki quickly drop the bookmark and then
I can look closer in that Tiddlywiki, one of them is your link-to-tabs wonderful plugin! So this is really amazing!

In normal cases I go the "export to json" import route, because I do have a "backup" in the downloads folder.

-m

Mohammad Rahmani

May 5, 2021, 1:44:25 PM5/5/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Most new users are surprised to see such a feature! Drag and drop is an amazing and powerful feature of Tiddlywiki!

-m

PMario

May 5, 2021, 5:13:03 PM5/5/21
to TiddlyWiki
On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 7:42:39 PM UTC+2 Mohammad wrote:

Yes, this is such a powerful feature! Many do not know about it!
I have a bundle of utility tiddlers packed as JSON and stored in a bookmark (Chrome, FF) and when I visit a Tiddlywiki quickly drop the bookmark and then
I can look closer in that Tiddlywiki, one of them is your link-to-tabs wonderful plugin! So this is really amazing!

Yea, If you need to look-up: "How does the core do this" .. the link-to-tabs macro is king.
-mario

Mohammad Rahmani

May 5, 2021, 5:41:53 PM5/5/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Definitely!

-mario

TW Tones

May 5, 2021, 11:22:50 PM5/5/21
to TiddlyWiki
Also in relation to a reference on drag and drop
Control Panel > Tiddler Titles >Optionally display tiddler titles as links Display tiddler titles as links

I see this thread being a good repository of drag and drop examples that could be used to populate the documentation.

Also,

  1. The drag tiddler to bookmarks is good, great for interwiki transfers, especially when you have not yet opened the tab you plan to drop it on.; but if you click on the bookmark you could loose changes. I believe this also works across some browsers; ie drag the bookmark to another browser.
  2. I will also add if you drag and drop multiple tiddlers for import, then rename the import tiddler, this becomes a import tiddler that can be dragged to/from the bookmarks. Once renaming $:/import you can also make it into a plugin or JSON tiddler by changing or deleting fields.
  3. This reminds me of another drag, I would like to make, that is an easy way to specify and drag a "bookmarklet" to the tool bar, which on clicking will do something to the existing wiki (through autoimport) - eg a filter that then loads a bookmarklet that can be dropped on book marks, click to apply (Without the save risk mentioned above).
  4. 1 and 2 above could be improved using the 4th method so we drag and drop bookmarklets (rather than tiddlers) with a payload of tiddlers, rather than the actual tiddlers., so that click of the bookmark installs them and you do not risk navigating away from the wiki.
  5. I have a package macro attached that creates a JSON package of tiddlers defined by the currentTiddler, all tiddlers with the current tiddler as prefix or a custom filter.via a draggable icon.
Further on bookmarkets, I have made one called visitor, I click on it in any wikis I visit, because it adds my prefered settings with a click, even read only wikis like tiddlywiki.com. I really want to simplify bookmarklets to democratise this.

A Windows Workflow I developed. using import, export, drag and drop.
  • I have a folder which contains JSON packages, tiddler .tid files in various folders under it.
  • I can use import; and/or open this folder and search for my package eg ;"recent system" and the list of "packages appear" which I can select and import or drag and drop on a wiki.
  • Also when saving using export I have a button that uses a fieldname field, to export that tiddler of JSON as a fixed filename, so I do not save it many times with different filenames.
  • During this export process I can use the windows explorer search to find the filename I am about to re-save, this finds exactly where I saved it last time, in a folder/subfolder or otherwise. I then save over the previous file to update it.

Regards
Tones
package-tools.json

TW Tones

May 6, 2021, 12:10:03 AM5/6/21
to TiddlyWiki
Wait there is more... (not steak knives),

If you open a plugin tiddler, then export it as a json file. You can drag the file to any wiki to install the plugin, or use my suggested windows workflow

Another big one not in this thread yet. "iFrames and drag and drop!".

  • If you open a wiki in an iframe, or generate one with the inner wiki plugin you can drag and drop between the two (or more) wikis from inside a single wiki.
  • If one of those wikis is A bob wiki it can be opened in multiple iframes, tabs or browsers even devices and you can avoid contention.
Uses;
  • Maintain a central wiki, which all others have in an iframe, to move tiddlers between wikis
  • Plugin repository
  • Updated package distribution
  • Access a Utility wiki eg; in one tab have a JSON Mangler wiki for importing csv files and converting to plugins, the wikis that then use these plugins can access them from an ifram embedded wiki.
  • Inner wiki can generate vanila wikis you drag components to test combinations then if its all OK, save it out as a standalone wiki.
Tones
Your TiddlyWiki obsessive

Mohammad Rahmani

May 6, 2021, 1:33:06 AM5/6/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tones,
 Very good stuff! Thank you
 These are worth curating for official documentation!

Best wishes
Mohammad

Saq Imtiaz

May 6, 2021, 4:24:06 AM5/6/21
to TiddlyWiki
This right here. I've spent a fair bit of time banging my head against issues with the HTML5 Drag and drop spec and inconsistent browser implementation recently. I'm frankly astonished Jeremy got this working ages ago and so reliably across browsers to boot.

Attached is a preview of something drag and drop related that I was working on a few weeks ago until I got waylaid by the above mentioned issue.
 Cheers,

Saq

images-in-editor.mp4

Mohammad Rahmani

May 6, 2021, 4:32:18 AM5/6/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Drag and drop images into the editor! like GitHub
WOW this is amazing Saq!

millions thanks!

Saq Imtiaz

May 6, 2021, 8:08:51 AM5/6/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you for the enthusiasm Mohammad. Working (unsuccessfully!) on the bug I linked killed my enthusiasm for this a bit but I'll get back to it soon and try to get it finished. Everything works, just needs polish + documentation.

Mohammad Rahmani

May 6, 2021, 8:18:43 AM5/6/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 4:38 PM Saq Imtiaz <saq.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for the enthusiasm Mohammad. Working (unsuccessfully!) on the bug I linked killed my enthusiasm for this a bit but I'll get back to it soon and try to get it finished. Everything works, just needs polish + documentation.

Let me know if I can be of any help!

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 12:54 PM Saq Imtiaz <saq.i...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 7:20:57 PM UTC+2 PMario wrote:
On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 4:42:07 PM UTC+2 Mohammad wrote:
But I love this drag and drop feature ;-)

You are right. We take this feature for granted. ... But lot of work went into this functionality.

This right here. I've spent a fair bit of time banging my head against issues with the HTML5 Drag and drop spec and inconsistent browser implementation recently. I'm frankly astonished Jeremy got this working ages ago and so reliably across browsers to boot.

Attached is a preview of something drag and drop related that I was working on a few weeks ago until I got waylaid by the above mentioned issue.
 Cheers,

Saq

Atronoush Parsi

May 6, 2021, 1:26:46 PM5/6/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 12:23 PM Mohammad Rahmani <mohammad...@gmail.com> wrote:
1. drag and drop a tiddler link
2. drag and drop a tag pill
3. drag and drop a $button with dragFilter
4. drag and drop a $button with dragTiddler
5. a $draggable widget
6. drag a tiddler to browser bookmark and later drag into another wiki

This is such a wonderful feature many do not know! I was watching a recent video from Jeremy where he was talking about drag and drop
and the audiences were amazed to see such a simple and efficient way of data transfer between two apps!

7.
8.
9.
10.

Best wishes
Mohammad

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 12:19 PM Mohammad Rahmani <mohammad...@gmail.com> wrote:
Drag and drop contents into Tiddlywiki for importing and exporting contents is one of the amazing features of Tiddlywiki, it is not known as it deserved.

To bring the power into attention I asked the above question and I am looking forward to see how others use this feature!

Best wishes
Mohammad

TW Tones

May 6, 2021, 8:03:20 PM5/6/21
to TiddlyWiki
Atronoush,

This is an important observation, effectively when your "apps" are built inside the browser technology, thay have a shared platform or set of design technology, so a lot of capacities will be common between applications. This allows higher levels of integration out "of the box". Now if those applications are built on tiddlywiki there are even more opportunities for integration, in this thread especially Drag and Drop, but their will be others.

I think some of us "old timers" in the tiddlywiki universe "take this for granted" or are so busy trying to break barriers that still exist we forget how many we already broke.

We could probably write a list of advantages of building apps in tiddlywiki because of these shared and innate benefits.

Tones

Charlie Veniot

May 6, 2021, 8:23:07 PM5/6/21
to TiddlyWiki
This thread of conversation is a real treat.

Just so you all know: every time I see the subject line, I keep getting Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" playing over and over in my head but with a title and imagined lyrics that match "10 Ways to Drag and Drop Your Tiddler."

If this keeps going, my weekend will be spent formally write something down.

Everything is wildly intertwingled ...

TW Tones

May 6, 2021, 9:20:11 PM5/6/21
to TiddlyWiki
Cj,

I think we may be approaching  "50 Ways to Drag and Drop Your Tiddler" or "50 shades of Drag and Drop".

Tones

TiddlyTweeter

May 7, 2021, 7:11:31 AM5/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
TW Tones wrote:
I think we may be approaching  "50 Ways to Drag and Drop Your Tiddler" or "50 shades of Drag and Drop".

 Right! Interesting thread.

There is a LOT of magic in  TW.
BUT there is often the issue of HOW the the hell do you communicate all of that richness into end use contexts?

ALSO, in reviewing D-N-D for ALL users there is the serious issue of SMART PHONES.
Do the techniques listed here all work on smart-phone?

Just wondering :-)
TT

Mohammad Rahmani

May 7, 2021, 11:51:17 PM5/7/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Drag and Drop a tab

Have you ever thought you can drag and drop a tab from one Tiddlywiki to another?

YES, you can if you have installed the link-to-tabs from Mario: https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/link-to-tabs/

It is absolutely amazing! See attached clip!

Thank you Mario!

270_%pn.gif

Best wishes
Mohammad

TW Tones

May 8, 2021, 9:58:37 PM5/8/21
to TiddlyWiki
Mohmmad,

Good catch, such tiddlers would need to be self contained, but I think I may make use of this for tabs with droppable zones.

Tones

PMario

May 9, 2021, 4:14:09 AM5/9/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammd,

Nice catch. That's a "side-effect", that in TW everything is a tiddler. The d&d mechanism knows, what to do with tiddler links. The plugin creates a tiddler link, that can be dragged.

That's all what happens.

-mario

Mohammad Rahmani

May 9, 2021, 4:37:06 AM5/9/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 12:44 PM PMario <pmar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Mohammd,

Hi Mario,

Nice catch. That's a "side-effect", that in TW everything is a tiddler. The d&d mechanism knows, what to do with tiddler links. The plugin creates a tiddler link, that can be dragged.

Yes, but very useful at least for me! There are many times I have stand alone tabs or tabs containing something from a plugin but created manually!
The link-to-tabs allow me to drag and drop and quickly have the tab in my other wiki!

Thank you Mario for this useful plugin!

That's all what happens.

-mario

TW Tones

May 9, 2021, 9:17:02 PM5/9/21
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad et al...

I know link to tabs is introducing this feature, but I must admit I have felt for sometime that given the tabs macros exists there is an opportunity to clone or modify these from the core and add more features from native drag and drop, the tab title or body as a drop zone or even just the ability to give tabs a tooltip or independant color. I could also see a ctrl-click opening the tiddler associated with the tag as a core feature.

You could say link to tabs is so good at doing what it does a version of it should go into the core, why the core
  • It is a very useful feature
  • It can offer value to the interface as a whole
  • It helps when learning aNd customising tiddlywiki
  • Tabs can form just another way to display lists of tiddlers so making tabs as list clickable and feature rich makes sense.
  • Providing a core solution is wise because the complexity of the code can get complex (but small in bytes) but the usability is high.
Regards
Tones