[Tutorial] running your own Node.js TW5 on Microsoft Azure for Free

Tony K

May 15, 2020, 7:45:10 AM5/15/20
to TiddlyWiki
Here is a tutorial I wrote for anyone who would like to have his own Nodejs version of TW5 running on Microsoft Azure for Free

https://dynalist.io/d/VA2eH2p8x8-beDiyYJV04YA9

I tried to write it here in the forum but changed my mind, so here is the link

enjoy

Saq Imtiaz

May 15, 2020, 7:48:16 AM5/15/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
For extra points, write it on a nodejs version of TW5 on Azure? ;)

Thanks, I am sure this will be a welcome addition to free hosting options for nodejs versions of TW5.
Regards,
Saq

Tony K

May 15, 2020, 7:51:05 AM5/15/20
to TiddlyWiki
lol I am thinking of moving drift actually much easier to update etc... but I don't think i have the strength to write it all over again

thanks for the kind words

Joshua Fontany

May 15, 2020, 6:55:46 PM5/15/20
to TiddlyWiki
Sweet, I have been considering Azure for hosting a collection of wikis. Didn't know exactly where to start. Mahalo (thanks) for the quick tutorial!

Best,
Joshua F

TonyM

May 15, 2020, 7:45:02 PM5/15/20
to TiddlyWiki
Tony k

Thanks for this I am keen. I have a production single file wiki hosted on SharePoint with some tips that are not obviouse perhaps we should put these together?

I would assume hosting could demand using bob, and wonder if the new bob saver for single file wikis could also be hosted?

regards
Tony

Riz

May 18, 2020, 10:14:58 AM5/18/20
to TiddlyWiki

Tony K

May 18, 2020, 11:58:18 AM5/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Riz

thank you for the heads up,  I do not have an account, this said I will try to answer the questions here

  1. Yes I am assuming that someone is already using TW5 with Node.js locally but if not, as already mentioned, you can only create your own TiddlyWiki.info file and an empty tiddlers directory. Attached a copy of a brand new tiddlywiki.info file
  2. For the different "flavor" you dont' need to "install" it. Start with a brand new installation and then drag/drop Stroll / Drift or whatever you want on top of it, import refresh and you are good to go
  3. For the last question regarding the username and password, if it is asking for a username and password then it means that TW5 is up and running, what I would suggest at this point is to remove the username and password and test if it works fine then probably there is something wrong with either of the 2. (maybe some special character in a special language?)

I really hope this helps
tiddlywiki.info

Reaktorblue

Jun 3, 2021, 12:51:07 AM6/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
I'm trying to follow along with this guide and running into a few issues
  • Creating the Azure App Service within VS Code didn't prompt for an OS but did appear to be successful
  • Downloading the latest release of TiddlyWiki on GitHub didn't have any folders named tiddlers or a tiddlywiki.info file however, package.json did exist
Is it possible to start locally with "tiddlywiki mynewwiki --init server" and deploying the tiddlers folder and tiddlywiki.info file that way?

I'm also a little confused by the section that details editing the package.json however, since I'm trying to get this to work with Azure, which I have no experience with, is it possible to keep the app running without having to start it via the terminal like I would have to do locally with Node.js?

Ideally I'm trying to get more experience using TiddlyWiki with Node.js but would rather have it hosted and available to any device I'm working on instead of having to expose my entire network to host it locally

Mark S.

Jun 3, 2021, 12:39:29 PM6/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
Added to TiddlyLinks.

Stobot

Jun 4, 2021, 6:49:47 AM6/4/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for this Tony K - I tried to follow this and it ended up not working, but I didn't really need it to work as I have other save options - was just playing, but sounds like a good option.

BUT - since Tones mentioned BOB, I wanted to check if anyone somehow got BOB (i.e. MultiUser) working with this solution, because that would be a game-changer for me!! This or any other solution for hosting a Multi User over https rather than LAN would open up a ton of use-cases for me and my team. Anyone out there doing this?

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 12:39:29 PM UTC-4 Mark S. wrote:
Added to TiddlyLinks.