What other tools compliment TiddlyWiki well? [discussion]

Si

Jul 21, 2021, 3:10:04 PM7/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
This question was prompted by a discussion over in the thread on incremental note-taking.

In my opinion a major weakness of TiddlyWiki is that it is not well suited to quickly capturing information on the fly with minimal friction.

For this reason I use another app as an "inbox" for quick ideas and tasks, which I process later on. Currently I use Evernote, but I'm currently in the process of looking for something else (would love to hear suggestions for a good replacement). The number one contender at the moment is Joplin, but I'm tempted by the purity of using text/markdown files if I can find a good way to handle them on Android.

Anyway I thought it would be interesting to prompt a discussion by asking the more general question: What apps or tools do you use that you feel compliment TiddlyWiki well? What does your workflow look like?

It doesn't matter the domain - note-taking and productivity are the obvious categories, but please be free to share any tool you use in tandem with TiddlyWiki.

Brian Radspinner

Jul 21, 2021, 3:22:15 PM7/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
I use Google Keep to capture thoughts on the fly on my phone. When I get back to my laptop, it's easy to copy and paste from the Keep web interface into TW

TW Tones

Jul 21, 2021, 9:43:02 PM7/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
Me too like Brian, Keep/tiddlywiki however I expect this to change to return to my DS Notes, or mobile tiddlywikis.

A worthy discussion, and I am keen to hear others response's.

I don't concur with your statement Si, as I think I said before  In my opinion a major weakness of TiddlyWiki is that it is not well suited to quickly capturing information on the fly with minimal friction.
The only exception would be large volumes of media.
  • One way I support quick entry is to use projectify "quick add todo", even if the only thing todo, is to later reclassify the tiddler as a reference an idea etc...
  • Alternatively I use streams or just open a tag for collecting information together eg shopping and do a new here then type. Use <<tag>> in the tag tiddler to create a pill to see all so tagged.
  • Or I may assign a project name tag where the project is elsewhere, I move these to the project wiki when working on the project.
  • I also use drag and drop or copy and paste found information a lot, especially onto and into projectify tasks and stream nodes.
    • I can then drag these and drop them on projects, wikis etc..
  • I now use a tiddler inline edit tool to edit the text field without going into edit mode.
  • My main supporting tools are other for purpose tiddlywikis like one with JSON mangle as my data conversion wiki, or sources of icons and system tags etc...
  • Another is I save all my macros and plugins below a folder and use windows explorer to search my "TiddlyWiki intranet" to import tools a tweeks.
  • I also make use of bookmarklets in browsers to drop a bundle of tiddlers or settings on a wiki with a click.

Tones

Charlie Veniot

Jul 21, 2021, 11:34:37 PM7/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
I'm thinking it largely depends on the "ecosystem" one may be living in.

Seeing as I've sold my soul to Google, Google Keep is my goto quick note taker.

I can access the full screen Google Keep, sidebar Google Keep when I'm in the other Google Apps, and have the Google Keep Chrome Extension, to quickly take notes while viewing some web page.

So quick note taking for some heavy-duty note making in TiddlyWiki later.

Mind you, I only ever use my Chromebook.  I never use my "smart" phone for anything other than text and phone.

Well, it is always a work-in-progress.

TW Tones

Jul 22, 2021, 12:35:35 AM7/22/21
to TiddlyWiki
Keep is popular.

I did look into getting tiddlywiki into a browser side bar in the past. I believed it worked in FireFox, but if not universal it is less interesting. That is the advantage of keep if you use a few of googles tools.

Tones

Si

Jul 22, 2021, 4:27:21 PM7/22/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the responses.

I like Keep, very nice level of simplicity and pleasant to use. Personally I try to avoid Google stuff where I can, but I did notice this very nice keep-style Android app that has recently appeared on Fdroid: https://github.com/msoultanidis/quillnote. Unfortunately it's Android only, but I'll be keeping an eye on it in case they add a way to sync the notes to a computer as markdown files.

@Tones

> I don't concur with your statement Si, as I think I said before  In my opinion a major weakness of TiddlyWiki is that it is not well suited to quickly capturing information on the fly with minimal friction.

I wouldn't want to spend much time defending my view, as I think what does/doesn't count as friction is pretty subjective. My biggest problems are on mobile, where saving a single file wiki with Tiddloid takes too long for me to ever really feel like using it. I had forgotten about Projectify's quick-add feature though, which I agree is very useful for quick-capture.

> I did look into getting tiddlywiki into a browser side bar in the past. I believed it worked in FireFox, but if not universal it is less interesting.

There are a few Firefox extensions for doing this, but I couldn't get any to work with a local file. Perhaps they will work with the node.js version. Vivaldi has a built in feature for doing this which works very nicely with TiddlyWiki: https://help.vivaldi.com/desktop/panels/web-panels/

Jason Houle

Jul 22, 2021, 11:47:37 PM7/22/21
to TiddlyWiki
I just worked on a tool for syncing my Keep notes to TW today, it is a JS bookmarklet that loads and executes this gist. I have only tested this on Chrome so far and there are still a couple kinks to work out, but I'm happy with it so far.

1. Highlight this text and drag it into your bookmarks bar:

javascript:var id%3D"0937d5af819d1914c7803f22ee8752d6"%2Cfile%3D"bookmarklet-export-keep.js"%2Cuser%3D"jasonmhoule"%2Cxhr%3Dnew XMLHttpRequest%3Bxhr.overrideMimeType("application%2Fjson")%3Bxhr.open("GET"%2C"https%3A%2F%2Fgist.githubusercontent.com%2F"%2Buser%2B"%2F"%2Bid%2B"%2Fraw%2F"%2Bfile%2B"%3F"%2BMath.random())%3Bxhr.onreadystatechange%3Dfunction()%7Bif(4%3D%3D%3Dxhr.readyState)if(200%3D%3D%3Dxhr.status)console.log("Successfully loaded gist%3A"%2C%7Bid%3Aid%2Cfile%3Afile%2Cuser%3Auser%2Cresponse%3Axhr.responseText%7D)%2C(0%2Ceval)(xhr.responseText)%3Belse%7Bvar a%3D"GitHub Gist file did not load successfully and instead returned a status code of "%2Bxhr.status%2B"."%3Bconsole.error(a%2C%7Bid%3Aid%2Cfile%3Afile%2Cuser%3Auser%7D)%3Balert(a)%7D%7D%3Bxhr.send(null)%3Bvoid+0

2. Navigate to Keep. The code will iterate through all the tiddlers that are loaded to the view, so if your Keep is anywhere near as cluttered as mine, I suggest trying this on a subset. For example, I tag certain notes as #export, and then I can open that tag in the Keep web navbar to execute this script just on them.

3. Once you have the 'target' tiddlers in view, click on the bookmarklet and watch it pop each tiddler open in turn (one per second). Once it is done with this, it will download a keep-notes.json file. You can drag this single file into your wiki and it will import one tiddler per note. Note that I also use (an early version of) Projectify so the code tags each tiddler with "Inbox" and "todo" so that it lands for processing in TW. I have not looked into pulling the other Keep tags into the tiddler but will probably do that.

The code currently does not archive tiddlers automatically - I may add that some day, but want to kick the tires quite a bit more first. Also note that because the bookmarklet loads the gist from GH, if I make any changes in the future, it is the changed code that will be triggered. (I'm not sure if I can pin the bookmarklet down to a single commit, that would probably be useful!)

Anyway, thought I would offer this up to see if there are thoughts/feedback for improvement.

Ste

Jul 23, 2021, 12:47:59 PM7/23/21
to TiddlyWiki
Android note taking apps wot I has used:
As I have a note9 Fii note is my scribble notes with a stylus.
Nebo notes is also good. (as is myscipt2 calculator by the same peeps)
For markdown neutriNote is good.
 DroidEdit fills that notepad++ hole
And Quinoid or Tiddloid for the tiddlywiki.
Snap pad is good for small uber quick jottings.
Snap desk for a bit more permanance.

TiddlyTweeter

Jul 24, 2021, 5:57:26 AM7/24/21
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Si

It is a VERY interesting thread!

Point being that a solo wiki needs ways to garner the richness of the uberwelt.

BUT I think it COULD, also, be interesting to turn the issue on its head.

    FOR an instance: What internet  things could TW SERVE?

    On Android then QUINOID is a pretty good link collector.
    As, also, on the other platforms done well by TIDDLYCLIP.

My point. Does the adjudicative have to be OTHER than TW?
OR can we replete ourselves already?
I see NO reason NOT to save ourselves universally in our own format already via TW.

Turning the issue around simply becomes ...
WHICH UNIVERSAL, CROSS-PLATFORM, NET-WORKABLE TW saver is best?

       Google Keep?  Forget it!
      Where is TIDDLER KEEPER?

Just comments
TT

Si

Jul 24, 2021, 2:54:58 PM7/24/21
to TiddlyWiki
> I see NO reason NOT to save ourselves universally in our own format already via TW.

One reason is just that it takes time to build stuff, even in TiddlyWiki, and if a decent tool already exists that time might be better spent elsewhere.

TW Tones

Jul 24, 2021, 11:02:34 PM7/24/21
to TiddlyWiki
Si,

I too take the pragmatic approach however over time I try and develop tiddlywiki tools and features all me needs. Over time, in an evolutionary way I make the other tools redundant. Mainly because I have development or design control over how I use and integrate the results.

Regards
Tones