Clip web page to TW?

Yif Dai

Jul 28, 2019, 7:09:20 AM7/28/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

I find web clipper (Evernote, Notion, etc.) really handy.  The drawbacks of those web clippers are that they are tied to third-party services.  I wonder if you know any standalone web clippers or can offer some workaround so that I can easily clip web pages into TiddlyWiki.

Cheers,

Yif

Birthe C

Jul 28, 2019, 7:15:46 AM7/28/19
to TiddlyWiki
A masterpirce from BJ. A plugin for your tiddlywiki, you can configure it, so read carefully the examples given. An Addon for the browser, get that from the github link.

Birthe

Dylan Pearson

Jul 29, 2019, 7:13:52 AM7/29/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I find the  https://www.tagspaces.org/products/webclipper/  very helpful.
It works very well and it saves page in a single file html which can be loaded directly into my tiddlywiki.

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 30, 2019, 1:46:48 PM7/30/19
to TiddlyWiki
Great piece of work. It works.

@TiddlyTweeter

Scott Kingery

Jul 31, 2019, 6:58:03 PM7/31/19
to TiddlyWiki
I have a bookmarklet you can try. Might not be as smooth as those others but it works.

Chris Aldrich

Apr 21, 2020, 5:54:10 AM4/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Some of the methods in this thread didn't do quite what I had hoped (or just didn't seem to work in the most recent version of TW5?).

Scott's was pretty close to workable for me. I made a version similar to his and extended it a bit. While Scott's does a bookmark-like wiki link, mine will allow you to highlight a part of a web page and then use the bookmarklet to cut/paste to quickly import a tiddler with a blockquote of the highlighted text and a pre-formatted link to the source.

Details here: http://tw.boffosocko.com/#Bookmarklet%20for%20pasting%20content%20into%20TiddlyWiki

Other ideas for doing this sort of thing are more than welcome, and if anyone has further ideas or improvements, I'm sure we'd all love to hear them. Surely there's an easier way...

HC Haase

Apr 21, 2020, 6:15:08 AM4/21/20
to TiddlyWiki

tirsdag den 21. april 2020 kl. 11.54.10 UTC+2 skrev Chris Aldrich:
Some of the methods in this thread didn't do quite what I had hoped (or just didn't seem to work in the most recent version of TW5?).

Scott's was pretty close to workable for me. I made a version similar to his and extended it a bit. While Scott's does a bookmark-like wiki link, mine will allow you to highlight a part of a web page and then use the bookmarklet to cut/paste to quickly import a tiddler with a blockquote of the highlighted text and a pre-formatted link to the source.

This is quite nice. though the newline do not work form me in ff

Peter Buyze

Apr 21, 2020, 6:22:07 AM4/21/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
Chris, very useful bookmarklet, thanks, I love bookmarklets :-)

1 small suggestion of correction: the bit with the link is not quite right, visually, although the link works. I looked at the JS but could not see where the correction should be made - I am a JS dummy, as well as a TW dummy :-(

21 Apr 2020, 12:54 by christoph...@gmail.com:

Chris Aldrich

Apr 21, 2020, 3:19:05 PM4/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
I'm not sure what you mean by "the bit with the link is not quite right". Do you have an example you could share so we might replicate what you're seeing?  Could you let me know what you might expect? (I'll admit I was doing this incredibly late at night and haven't battle tested it against the hundreds of links I typically would, particularly in hopes that someone would do something like this: https://nesslabs.com/roam-research-bookmarklet).

I've already seen a few websites that include a `|` character in their titles, and those require a manual tweak to make sure the links work appropriately once you've saved your Tiddler.

Most of the code was straightforward enough for me to figure out based on a handful of examples I was able to find. (I know no JavaScript.) Most of the confusing portions for the formatting are really just knowing the proper escape characters and html entities so that when you cut and paste them you get the correct results. You can find a list of html entities at many sites including https://www.freeformatter.com/html-entities.html and having that as a cheat sheet should allow you to get things to work exactly the way you'd like to have them if you want to tinker around.

I have a suspicion that someone with more JavaScript skills than I might be able to:
* allow for cutting and pasting of a full HTML version of text from a website (to get the links and other top level html tags as well)
* potentially include a "key" to a particular TW5 instance's location (URL) so that instead of needing to cut and pasting, the entirety of the cut/pasted content and details are automatically be sent to one's TW and entered into a new Tiddler.
* These would potentially allow the bookmarklet to be built into TW core so that new users could drag and drop a link from a Tiddler (perhaps from a tab in the Control Panel) into their browser bar that would "just work"™.

I also did things from a relatively basic boiler plate and then gradually tweaked them step-by-step to get the output I wanted. If you want my scratch pad and some hints or alternate versions, here's a useful Tiddler: http://tw.boffosocko.com/#Bookmarklet%20experiments

Peter Buyze

Apr 22, 2020, 12:26:37 AM4/22/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
Chris,

see screenshot.

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Get your own encrypted, ad-free mailbox:

21 Apr 2020, 22:19 by christoph...@gmail.com:
bookmarklet.png

Chris Aldrich

Apr 24, 2020, 11:34:45 PM4/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
I can see your screenshot, but it doesn't indicate to me what it is that you're expecting or what you feel is wrong.