Web Clipper equivalent

Jared Volpe

May 6, 2020, 3:31:18 AM5/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
I'm really enjoying learning how to use and configure TW. One of the things that is really getting in my way of making the switch is the absence of an elegant full-featured web clipper like Evernote's, Notion's or Joplin's. I've hunted for one but haven't come up with anything that works in Chrome (or any other browser.) Am I missing something?

Birthe C

May 6, 2020, 4:09:12 AM5/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
The only one I know of is Tiddlyclip
 Install the plugin from there and read about how to use it, but to make it work you need to install a browser extension too. Get that here: https://github.com/buggyj/tiddlyclip/releases

Look at the first link about how the rules are created. You might create your own.

Birthe

Jared Volpe

May 6, 2020, 11:36:03 AM5/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
Latest Firefox on the Mac throws an error when I try to install it. It seems very out of date. Anyone else seeing this issue?

Mark S.

May 6, 2020, 12:35:28 PM5/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
Where did you get the extension? The latest version is https://github.com/buggyj/tiddlyclip/releases and was released in August of last year.

Rohrreiniger

May 7, 2020, 10:23:39 AM5/7/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Iirc Petruschka found an answer to this. It was an about:config change to signatures of .xpi's.

BJ

May 9, 2020, 1:56:26 PM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jared,
I am the developer of tiddlyclip - if you are still having problems I should (hopefully!!) be able to help.

cheers
BJ

Petruschka

May 10, 2020, 5:19:40 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi BJ,

even after I get it installed I can't use it. It seems it doesn't work at all. Docking get lost, can't make Tiddlers from text selections.
Which OS/browser and version do you use? FF76/Windows 10 here.

Best wishes

Birthe C

May 10, 2020, 7:04:55 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Petruscha,

Docking is lost, when your TW is refreshed. Then you will have to dock again. What rules do you have in TiddlyClipConfig.
If I mark a text and right click select tiddlyclip and select the rule I want to use. Selecting snip I will get at tiddler with the text.

I am using Linux Mint and Firefox 75

Birthe

Mark S.

May 10, 2020, 9:47:49 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Loss of docking is one reason I use tiddlyclip so little. It undocks every time you save if you use the download saver.

Mohammad

May 10, 2020, 9:55:28 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello BJ,
 Many thanks for this great and wonderful tool!

I may have some comments on that:
  1. On https://github.com/buggyj/tiddlyclip there is no information how the plugin should be used so it would be great to add a link to http://tiddlyclip.tiddlyspot.com/#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Fbj%2Ftiddlyclip installation and using procedures
  2. The instaruction itself is on a Tiddlywiki from 6 years ago! It would be great to be updated to newer version
  3. The tables overflows the tiddler edges see http://tiddlyclip.tiddlyspot.com/#defaultPin it is better to use the fluid story to overcome this issue
  4. On clicking the Tiddlyclip icon on the firefox toolbars a windows popups with some [] at the bottem in different colors, why not to use a text and user understand what they are

I know many people like this tiny tool as this is the only web clipper for Tiddlywiki

Best wishes
Mohammad

The

Mohammad

May 10, 2020, 9:56:55 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello again BJ,

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 6:17:49 PM UTC+4:30, Mark S. wrote:
Loss of docking is one reason I use tiddlyclip so little. It undocks every time you save if you use the download saver.

This is true! on saving you loose docking!

Birthe C

May 10, 2020, 10:39:33 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammed and Mark S,

Loss of docking due to download saver? Luckily I use timimi, My Tiddlywiki autosaves when the clip has happily - and fast arrived. I never need to look at it. Only if the browser tab is refreshed it loose docking.

Why does it matter how old the demo wiki is, tiddlyclip works just the same. I think it is more important that new users read about how to use and create rules to make the best use of the plugin. And of course to get the latest extension from Github.

Clicking on the icon in the browser, ask you to Enter text, select snap or snap off. If you select snap you get a marking tool to mark the text, you want to snap. Chosing snap off deselects it. I wonder what the color markings are for?

Birthe

Mohammad

May 10, 2020, 10:59:58 AM5/10/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Birthe

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 7:09:33 PM UTC+4:30, Birthe C wrote:
Hi Mohammed and Mark S,

Loss of docking due to download saver? Luckily I use timimi, My Tiddlywiki autosaves when the clip has happily - and fast arrived. I never need to look at it. Only if the browser tab is refreshed it loose docking.

I use auto-save off as many times accidentally I am deleting or overwriting  something !

Why does it matter how old the demo wiki is, tiddlyclip works just the same. I think it is more important that new users read about how to use and create rules to make the best use of the plugin. And of course to get the latest extension from Github.

Most people including me confuse how to use it! In GitHub nothing is about how to use TiddlyClipt! there is no link to instruction on Tiddlyspot!
Yes, you may not care about the quality of presentation but what if we use the latest TW and good looking tiddlers with semantic information flow!

Clicking on the icon in the browser, ask you to Enter text, select snap or snap off. If you select snap you get a marking tool to mark the text, you want to snap. Chosing snap off deselects it. I wonder what the color markings are for?

What those colors mean? If you use text or tool-tip on mouse hover it will be very informative and never forget functions!

Birthe

These are just some thoughts for improvement, but you can ignore them!

Cheers
Mohammad

Birthe C

May 10, 2020, 11:46:25 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad,

søndag den 10. maj 2020 kl. 16.59.58 UTC+2 skrev Mohammad:

What those colors mean? If you use text or tool-tip on mouse hover it will be very informative and never forget functions!

I still do not understand how and where you make use of the color buttons. Informative where?

Birthe

Mohammad

May 10, 2020, 12:36:25 PM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Birthe,
 I am talking about the window appears by clicking the toolbars icon!

Birthe C

May 10, 2020, 12:42:08 PM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammed,

Yes, but how do you get to see the tooltips, you wrote about.

Mohammad

May 10, 2020, 1:12:34 PM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Birthe,

I think this discussion may be useless for many forum subscribers!

Please ignore my comments!

Thank you

BJ

May 11, 2020, 11:05:31 AM5/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Petruschka,

I am using ff 76.0 on linux.

The tiddlyclip browser addon is version 0.1.5, the current released version of the tiddlywiki plugin is 1.12.2pre.

do you have these version of tiddlyclip?

unforntunately firefox reload a webpage when there is a download (chrome does not) which remove the connection (the bock) from tiddlyclip. I could not think of any solution to this execept using a  saver with tiddlywiki,

cheers
BJ

Mark S.

May 11, 2020, 12:21:24 PM5/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
Could there be a way to configure the exension so that it always docks to a specified file whenever it has an open tab? Or adds it to the list of dockable TW files? Or a way to make files auto-dock when they are reloaded?

Thanks!

BJ

May 11, 2020, 12:47:48 PM5/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
HI Mark,
the only way to undock a tw is to reload the page - so if I modify tidddlyclip to automatically redock to a reloaded page then it will be impossible to undock a tw from tiddlyclip (without closing the tab)..... Also I thought it unlikely that people would use tiddlyclip without a saver - typically I clip lots a things when I am searching for something on the internet, which would create many copies of tiddlywiki with the html5 saving (as happens without a saver addon). I could add the ability to add the name of a tiddlywiki to the configuration page of the tiddlyclip addon that would alway be docked - but this would take me some hours to do - and it is not really something I would use myself... When I am next modifying the tiddlyclip addon I will see if I can add this feature.

cheers

BJ

BJ

May 11, 2020, 1:27:26 PM5/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
The color buttons in the tiddlyclip drop down add highlighting to a selected text - select some text and then press a color button to lightlight the text. This can be used before a screenshot (a tiddlyclip snap) or can be used when clipping html - via the ((*@web*)) syntax (eg in the defaultSnip tiddler the ((*@text*)) could be  replaced with ((*@web*))).

Also in the panel is the 'note' box - this is used to add notes to a clip via the addition of ((*@note*)) to a rule (eg the defaultSnip tiddler), and putting the word note in the modes column of the TiddlyClipConfig tiddler:

cheers

BJ

Mohammad

May 11, 2020, 3:19:30 PM5/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi BJ,
 Many thanks for your clarification!

In http://tiddlyclip.tiddlyspot.com/ I see the latest TC is 0.07alpha

Would you mind to update the tiddlyspot with latest release of TC-Plugin from https://github.com/buggyj/tiddlyclip-plugin/releases

Thank you

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 7:35:31 PM UTC+4:30, BJ wrote:
Hi Petruschka,

I am using ff 76.0 on linux.

The tiddlyclip browser addon is version 0.1.5, the current released version of the tiddlywiki plugin is 1.12.2pre.

In

arun babu

Nov 25, 2020, 1:49:38 PM11/25/20
to TiddlyWiki
I would like to request for Tiddlyclip to support the outliner plug in streams.

Title of the webpage or pdf  being clipped should become the parent streams tiddler. Whatever is being clipped at a first instance should be added as the first child of parent streams tiddler. Next clipped items should be the second child and so on.

Another request is to open a window of same TW with the corresponding streams tiddler in the webpage being clipped so that we can see and edit the notes being clipped on real time.

A similar implementation can be seen in the web clipper of a note taking app called remnote.