The-book weekly report

Luis Gonzalez

Nov 28, 2019, 4:51:56 AM11/28/19
to TiddlyWiki
This week:
  • Reorganization of some chapters.
  • Starting to write the Filters chapter
  • Regular expressions on section 7.6
  • Starting to write Using tiddlywiki chapter
  • html diagram of Tiddlywiki on page 24

Thanks everyone for your help!!
The_Book.pdf

Jeremy Ruston

Nov 28, 2019, 7:38:26 AM11/28/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luis

Looking back I think I may have neglected to reply to your earlier posts on this project, so let me put that right by saying that this is an impressive piece of work that makes me very happy. There are several aspects that I’d like to call out for special praise.

Firstly, I’m in awe of your determination and productivity. This is a very ambitious project of the sort that is often started but much more rarely sustained. I like the way that you’re showing your work and asking for feedback, but your are still working independently on your vision, in your own voice and at your own pace.

Secondly, I like the focus on advanced customisation. Thinking about the questions we get on the mailing list, I think this is exactly the kind of resource that we need to be able to give to people who are moving beyond the basics. The material on JavaScript internals addresses a lot basic questions that come up again and again, too.

Thirdly, the original diagrams are terrific, particularly the map of CSS classes (below).

Congratulations, and good luck with the process,

Best wishes

Jeremy

<The_Book.pdf>

TonyM

Nov 28, 2019, 5:38:55 PM11/28/19
to TiddlyWiki
Luis,

I totally Echo Jeremys words and undertake to review and support as much as my time permits

All Please do what you can to support Luis in this extremely worthy project.

Regards
Tony

Luis Gonzalez

Nov 29, 2019, 3:04:31 AM11/29/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jeremy. I take this opportunity to congratulate you on this impressive software.

Starting with Tiddlywiki is very easy but the step towards an advanced knowledge is really complex. I discovered tiddlywiki with the classic version long time ago and it's now when I understand the concepts.

I will need help later with some complicated issues but I'm sure all people will help me:
  • Writing plugins.
  • Things I have to know to write widgets and javascript modules.
  • Parsing modules and rules.
  • ...
And later I want to write a little chapter with the people of Tidddlywiki, the developers and a short timeline.

I have many questions: How do you start thinking of programming the wiki? What was the main milestones and obstacles? How do you reach to know all things that hold tiddlywiki glued? How do you invented wikitext, widgets, filters, mechanisms, parsing, rules, plugins, css modules, ...?

All these things are really really terrific!!!!

Congratulations. I congratulate you on this wonderful Tiddlywiki you have given us.

Jed Carty

Nov 29, 2019, 5:46:07 AM11/29/19
to TiddlyWiki
Luis,

Thank you for making this, you have had far more dedication than I ever managed for writing a comprehensive guide and you are far more organised than I ever was.

I can probably help with writing some of the sections, or at least give descriptions that someone who is better than I am at writing can flesh out.

I think that a section on the anatomy of a javascript macro and the differences between javascript macros and widgets would also be helpful and something I can help with.

I haven't read the entire book closely, but skimming though it doesn't look like you have the lists section completed. I have a very incomplete start to explaining lists here http://inmysocks.tiddlyspot.com/#Lists%20in%20WikiText if that helps at all. If not then just ignore it.

Luis Gonzalez

Nov 29, 2019, 7:49:02 AM11/29/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I accept your offer. I have never programmed in javascript so there are things that I don't know.  I can handle with the use of macros and widgets but I need your help with the scripting and plugin sections.

This is the process that I follow:
  1. Somebody send me some explanations and links. I read them and try in an empty wiki.
  2. When I understand all the explanations I begin to draw some diagrams and maps that help me. Diagrams are my passion.
  3. I write the text.

What we know till now:
  • How we can customize the tiddlywiki screen.
  • The roles a tiddler can have
  • Write filters
  • Formating text with Wikitext and CSS classes

What we don't know:
  • Elements for writting widgets and javascript macros. I program in Java and Python. Is there any API or how is the widgets programming?
  • Writting plugins.
  • Extending the functionality of Tidldywiki: plugins, parsing rules, (I saw the XLSX Utilities EditionI).

But don't worry if you have no time. I'm still studying Tiddlywiki with all information I find.
This is not a race. We will fill the gaps (like the list section) with the time.

Thanks!!!

Luis Gonzalez

Nov 29, 2019, 8:15:05 AM11/29/19
to TiddlyWiki
IMPORTANT NOTE:

The "borders" of the book are two: the basic tiddlywiki usage and the developing of Tiddlywiki. The-book moves between this two ends:
  • The-book does not explain the basic usage. We assume that the reader has already used Tiddlywiki
  • The-book does not explain how to develop tiddlywiki core.

The goal: explain the intermediate zone.

TiddlyTweeter

Nov 29, 2019, 8:17:27 AM11/29/19
to TiddlyWiki
Luis Gonzalez wrote:
Diagrams are my passion.

You are very good at them! Much appreciated.

Your latest  on HTML + CSS basic structure (PDF page 24) is incredibly useful.

Thank you!
TT

TiddlyTweeter

Nov 29, 2019, 8:27:52 AM11/29/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Luis

Right. I see clearly you going for "intermediate", or "D.I.Y. user with interest to go further."

IMO that is very good for the active vocal audience which is dominantly of that type.

Best wishes
TT

Luis Gonzalez wrote:
... The-book moves between this two ends:

Georgia K

Dec 1, 2019, 8:58:06 AM12/1/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Luis,

Thanks for writing this to people like me who without programming background wants a pathway to learn how to DIY my personal TW. I'm gonna read it right awa1y

Best,
Georgia

Jon

Dec 1, 2019, 3:35:07 PM12/1/19
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, that is a tremendous amount of work.

Very impressive!

Regards,
Jon

Chuck R.

Dec 19, 2019, 6:12:25 AM12/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Luis. I love that your PDF has a clickable table of contents. That's really handy.