[Discussion] Drop Zone per open tiddler idea - need help

TW Tones

May 2, 2021, 9:11:55 PM5/2/21
to TiddlyWiki
Folks,

As a long term TiddlyWiki super user a reoccurring need for me is to automate interactions with tiddlers a little more. Specifically I would like a drop zone on tiddlers that can ether interrogate the content of what is being dropped or can have a number of different drop zones within it. I will explain this a little further below;

However the biggest challenge seems to be finding a space on the screen or method so  dropping content will not interfere with the display content in the tiddler. I have made buttons on which you can drop content, but I am looking to find a space where this can be done.

Some Ideas;
  • Personally I use the "Fluid Story, Fixed Side Bar a lot, perhaps an area we could toggle on or off could appear to the right of open tiddlers as a tiddler drop zone.
  • I have seen a solution that uses a vertical Right or left hand bar inside tiddlers as an active element. Perhaps this could accept drops
  • Perhaps we could put a tiddler in a drop receptive mode with an overlay that accepts dropping.
Why allow more to be dropped on a tiddler?
Tiddler often refer to other tiddlers, use fields to contain urls, or emails, phone number; and tags similarly. The ability to drop content from elsewhere in the wiki or external addresses and content on specific tiddlers rather than the wiki (import) would make a lot of since.

What are your thoughts?

Do you have the skills to update the view or tiddler templates to provide a functioonal drop zone per tiddler (permanent or toggle)?

I would love to hear from you!

I am keen to collaborate, Except for the drop zone I thing I have all the code patterns I need.

Tones

PMario

May 3, 2021, 10:05:37 AM5/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,
I'm not really sure, what you want.
It should be relatively simple to add more drop-zones to a tiddler. As you wrote, every button could have it's own dropzone. So if you drop eg: "some text" onto the "H1" button, It could insert the text as ! some text into the tiddler.

The problem is, that I think in the end it would be more work, as to directly drop the text into the textarea. ...

I don't really see a reason to implement something like this.

I'm more the "copy / paste" type of user.

-mario

Charlie Veniot

May 3, 2021, 12:25:59 PM5/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
Just a design thought for you.

A "Drop-Zone Bar"  (containing a bunch of ideally-sized drop zones for each purpose), part of tiddler titles area (just under the title and ViewToolbar buttons) so that the "Sticky titles" = YES keeps the drop-zone visible for long tiddlers.

Although, I don't have time to collaborate on this puppy, everything about it is now percolating in the back of me sponge.

I may have no choice but to scratch that itch with a proof of concept when I can find some downtime.

Damn it, why must everything be interesting to me ...

TW Tones

May 3, 2021, 7:26:34 PM5/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
Mario,

Lets see if I can give you more.

For Example
  • I currently have is I often add a discussion field to tiddlers containing a link to the Google Group (GG) discussion. I currently go edit, new field discussion, go and find the url and copy and paste it back in the wiki.
    • If I have a space on tiddlers for dropping items I can just drag the URL from the GG page and drop it on the "discussion" drop zone on any existing tiddler.
  • The fact is much in tiddlywiki is already draggable, titles and selected text, if there were an inherit way to drop content on named zones per tiddler some very quick workflows can be developed. Playing in Streams lately you can drag items between streams and this is very powerful.
The Problem with buttons is there is a limit on how many work well on each tiddler, and they are a "small target" making the drop fiddly.

I wonder;
  • Is there somewhere on tiddlers we can host one or more drop zones to make this easy to build?
  • Could a dropzone popup with multiple dropzones, open on on hover over the title perhaps?
Thanks for contributing
Tones

Charlie Veniot

May 3, 2021, 8:32:43 PM5/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
How TO - Zoom on Hover

Have your drop zone container expand on hover, so that you can see large enough target drop zone areas in the container ?

Charlie Veniot

May 3, 2021, 8:34:33 PM5/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
Oh, and setup buttons for your drop zones, each button within divs of certain sizes, and each button of a class that has width and height at 100%(filling their entire div containers.)

TW Tones

May 3, 2021, 8:40:42 PM5/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
Yes that would be nice. Yet we also need the initial unzoomed space to be large enough its not too fiddly.

I recall someones implementation created left and right vertical bars in the margin of tiddlers. This space is available the left gets used by the "Fold Tiddler bar" Dragging over this opening a list of droppable destinations for the current tiddler would be nice; eg the email-address field, drop (or paste) dragged text into the email-address field.

Actually the fold tiddler bar may be a good example on which to build this.

I think we really are getting somewhere, thanks Charlie.

Tones

TW Tones

May 4, 2021, 12:06:03 AM5/4/21
to TiddlyWiki
Another thought;

Something similar to the info drop down, that could be activated with a button on All tiddlers as a drop zone would be nice. Keeping top the idea of a drop zone bar, perhaps with over size buttons.

I wonder if this could be made to become visible on all tiddlers if there is an active drag in progress?, just as the green top bar is on drop drag to wiki.

Tones

TW Tones

May 6, 2021, 8:06:35 PM5/6/21
to TiddlyWiki
Bump,

I am sure some people have some good ideas for this!

Tones

Charlie Veniot

May 6, 2021, 11:27:20 PM5/6/21
to TiddlyWiki
Poop.  "hover" (as per that link I suggested) doesn't work when dragging.

TW Tones

May 7, 2021, 10:06:05 AM5/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
I noticed :(

Mohammad Rahmani

May 7, 2021, 12:35:57 PM5/7/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Tones,

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 3:56 AM TW Tones <anthony...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mario,

Lets see if I can give you more.

For Example
  • I currently have is I often add a discussion field to tiddlers containing a link to the Google Group (GG) discussion. I currently go edit, new field discussion, go and find the url and copy and paste it back in the wiki.
    • If I have a space on tiddlers for dropping items I can just drag the URL from the GG page and drop it on the "discussion" drop zone on any existing tiddler.
  • The fact is much in tiddlywiki is already draggable, titles and selected text, if there were an inherit way to drop content on named zones per tiddler some very quick workflows can be developed. Playing in Streams lately you can drag items between streams and this is very powerful.

I am working on some documents explaining some of the basic features of drag and drop of Tiddlywiki! Right now my focus is on droppable widget!
But what you said is possible, I write some case here

[x] drop a link and create a tiddler with fields contains the link
[x] drop a tiddler and extract fields data and copy to other tiddler
[x] drop a text and append it to the text of some other tiddlers
[x] drop a text and deserialize it

On Tuesday, 4 May 2021 at 00:05:37 UTC+10 PMario wrote:
Hi,
I'm not really sure, what you want.
It should be relatively simple to add more drop-zones to a tiddler. As you wrote, every button could have it's own dropzone. So if you drop eg: "some text" onto the "H1" button, It could insert the text as ! some text into the tiddler.

The problem is, that I think in the end it would be more work, as to directly drop the text into the textarea. ...

I don't really see a reason to implement something like this.

I'm more the "copy / paste" type of user.

-mario

TW Tones

May 7, 2021, 6:05:06 PM5/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
Mohamad,

You name a number of drop methods that could be very useful, it was this awarmnes on my part that I started the thread. With so many possible features we need to establish a place on tiddlers where people may expect to drop things but it does not use any or much screen "real estate". Ideally one could add a tag to any tiddler containing the logic to receive content and as long as a filter determines it should be displayed, display the drop zone, perhaps only when something is being dragged. The thing is we should accommodate multiple drop zones if multiple drop zone code is applicable to each tiddler. eg if it does not have a url field offer a drop zone to populate it, if it has a person tag offer a drop zone to drop an email address.

While drop zones are good for dragged content we may often find we have the value in the clipboard we would otherwise drop in the clipboard, so if we could help ctrl-v to any of the visible drop zones would be good as well. eg; "hover and past" as a method.

Regards
Tones

TW Tones

May 7, 2021, 6:17:53 PM5/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
Perhaps if the tiddlywiki tabs, or a new macro, could be sensitive to hover and dropping something, each tab could have its own response. We could then have a tab bar, on hover the tab opens and we can drop into a larger area or on the tab. Expository text could Also be displayed in the selected tab. This would allow one or many drop zones to be represented one one bar, or a vertical list.

Tones