Breakthrough TW video (new)

ludwa6

Mar 7, 2021, 10:32:36 AM3/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
While i've learned a lot from some older videos and online docs, and of course via this discussion group, i've got to say: i resonate strongly with the frustration expressed by a fellow n00b somewhere (maybe in that long Roam-envy thread :-) about how fragmentary & scattered are the learning resources one needs to gain any considerable degree of TiddlyWiki-savvy.

So it is that i must send a shout-out @SorenBjornstad for this tour-de-force video that he published just a few days ago: Experience TiddlyWiki Fluency: Creating a Reading List. In fact i haven't even finished watching (clocks in at a little over 1hr runtime), it is so chock-full of tutorial tips that i had to take a break and write them all down... And pay due homage to Soren while i'm at it.  Great service the community that you've done here, mate -and moreover: this is exactly  what the TW world needs to transcend the kinda "Cargo Cult" (not my words; 'twas JeremyR. himself who invoked the term in a recent video) such as it is, and break through to the kind of mainstream adoption that it rightly deserves.

PS:  Must also celebrate the book- Grok TiddlyWiki -which is my other most-valued learning resource of late;  in terms of the GUT (Grand Unified Theory) of documentation, it is something of a hybrid i would say... But the video falls squarely in the Tutorial quadrant of GUT, and is a stellar example of the artform, IMHO.

/walt

PMario

Mar 7, 2021, 11:11:45 AM3/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Walt,
If you want to see several detailed HowTo videos, that explain a lot of different ways creating a UI with TW, you may find the following thread interesting:

The video playlist is here: TiddlyWiki Script and ToDo manager HowTo

have fun!
mario
Message has been deleted

PMario

Mar 7, 2021, 11:14:36 AM3/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
A working example can be found here: https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/script-manager
-m

ludwa6

Mar 7, 2021, 11:32:31 AM3/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
Playlist saved.; thanks again, Mario (my cup runneth over w/ learning resources today! :-). /walt

Mohammad Rahmani

Mar 7, 2021, 1:03:40 PM3/7/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful stuff!

It is really sad to hear that! Thanks to Dave Gifford and Mark S for maintaining the Tiddlywiki Toolmaps!
Tiddlywiki.com and Tiddlywiki toolmap are the only resources that give links to such stranded resources.

Best wishes
Mohammad

Soren Bjornstad

Mar 7, 2021, 1:28:32 PM3/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Walt!

Just to be clear for others, the public link to Grok TiddlyWiki doesn't work yet. Hopefully we're looking at a handful of weeks until publication here.

clutterstack

Mar 7, 2021, 1:43:12 PM3/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
Soren, I just skimmed through the video, and I find it really nicely put together. Lots of useful patterns you'd take a long time to accumulate organically. For video-centric learners this would be a gold mine.

Best,
Chris

ludwa6

Mar 7, 2021, 1:48:01 PM3/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
Ah: sorry to pre-empt your book release, @Soren; since i saw the link on YT vid, i figured cat was out of bag :-)

Meanwhile, i'm working to follow along w/ vid-tut steps in my own wiki, and am hung up on this problem: this transclusion of "SourceInfoTemplate" is appearing twice on all my tiddlers tagged "Source".
Can't figure out why, since the source tiddlers have just the single line of {{||SourceInfoTemplate}} for content.  I''m thinking it might be related to one of these other .../ViewTemplate tiddlers in my instance, as i do have a few plugins that modify that template, as seen in the attached image.  Can you suggest anything that might help me to resolve this problem?    /walt

ViewTemplateDoubleVision.jpeg

Soren Bjornstad

Mar 7, 2021, 2:10:15 PM3/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
If you have the template tagged $:/tags/ViewTemplate, you don't also need to manually do the template transclusion on each tiddler. You choose one or the other. In the video I started by doing it manually, then went back and removed it from those tiddlers after I'd added the tag. I can see how you missed that part, it goes fast. :)

ludwa6

Mar 7, 2021, 2:52:04 PM3/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, @Soren : i did realize that... And when i deleted the transclusion script from tiddler text, then BOTH views of the content disappeared.  But then when i moved the SourceInfoTemplate up higher in the ViewTemplate hierarchy, it appeared in stereo-view again.  Now i have removed the script from tiddler text, and it appears just once, as it should.  Bit of a mystery, that... But i did have a typo to correct somewhere in the middle of my struggles (forgot the closing </$list> tag), so that may well have caused some mischief.  Anyhoo: it works now, your tutorial guidance is impeccable.  Thanks again!

David Gifford

Mar 7, 2021, 3:07:05 PM3/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
I added the video to the toolmap. The Grok file is not yet available.

dieg...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2021, 4:45:59 PM3/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
This video was shockingly amazing. Wow...thank you Soren for making it and walt for linking it!

David Gifford

Mar 7, 2021, 4:48:36 PM3/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, I found this really helpful!

Sapphireslinger

Mar 8, 2021, 8:50:53 AM3/8/21
to TiddlyWiki
Learned a LOT from the video. Thanks!

Sai Kumar Ramadugu

Mar 8, 2021, 4:35:51 PM3/8/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you for this video, Soren.

I have tried to create time stamps for various things that Soren demoed in the video.

Theme tweaks to change the sidebar size

List Macro and Table Widget Creation

Nice Display of Reading List Tiddler

Creating a template

Take Notes on Tiddlers and create Flash cards

Flashcards

Soren, please use this in your description if you think this helps others visitors of the video.

Best,
Sai

Soren Bjornstad

Mar 10, 2021, 10:31:24 PM3/10/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, I tweaked this a little bit and put it in!

The Scribe

Mar 11, 2021, 2:57:35 PM3/11/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for taking the time to do this video, Soren. I’ve used TW for almost 20 years and learned more in the hour I watched the video than in that 20 years of using it. I never knew it could do so much. I used the video to set up a new TW last night and I’m going well because of you.

I just wanted to say thanks, and encourage you to do more videos showing us how to do other things that we (meaning I) had no idea TW could do, such as setting up a website, or how to create a contact page.

Kind regards,
Karen

Sent from my iPad

On 11 Mar 2021, at 2:31 pm, Soren Bjornstad <soren.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks, I tweaked this a little bit and put it in!

Manish Mohandas

Mar 18, 2021, 7:22:17 AM3/18/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks a lot Soren for this comprehensive video. I learnt the 'Excise' tool and this has suddenly improved my TW experience vastly.
Cheers
Manish