TW Hosting

Matabele

Sep 7, 2015, 12:51:57 AM9/7/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I came across BitBalloon web hosting -- this appears to be the easiest and quickest way of publishing a TW (free.)

1. Go to BitBalloon
2. Rename your TW to index.html
3. Drag and drop your site onto the page
4. Rename your site
5. If you like what you see -- sign in with your GitHub credentials

Here's an example: gWiZ (sorry, I have yet to update my widgets -- this was for test purposes.)

Haven't tried out a nodejs based TW -- but looks like it should work: https://github.com/BitBalloon/bitballoon-js

regards

Message has been deleted

Hegart Dmishiv

Sep 12, 2015, 8:40:09 PM9/12/15
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for this great guide, Stefan. I have set up my "dev" instance of TW 5.1.9 using the technique you described here. My only criticism is that the difference between http://drive.google.com and http://googledrive.com perhaps needs to be emphasized more. The link doesn't work with the former, but works perfectly with the latter. My bad for not noticing this subtle difference at first in your example. I'm not a regular Google user myself (I try to avoid it normally), so all this is quite new to me.

It might also be helpful to point out in your guide that there is the option to upload a new version of a file in Google Drive, allowing you to store multiple older versions of your TW file, while still presenting the latest current version using the same shared URL. This is a great feature for automating backups. Uploading a new version also seems to obviate the need for renaming the file, meaning your new uploaded version should be able to be called anything, but it will still be presented as the original filename (in theory).

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 9:24:14 PM UTC+12, Stefan wrote:
Hi, you can follow the following steps to host tiddlywiki on google drive :

https://d4aacbb1aa767168a53c96e53d0b2866c100634b.googledrive.com/host/0B51gSXixfJ2Qb0I4R2M4MWJVMlU

Regards,
Stefan

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 13, 2015, 4:57:12 AM9/13/15
to TiddlyWiki
I'm afraid that Google have announced that they plan to withdraw the ability to host web content on Google Drive:

"Beginning August 31st, 2015, web hosting in Google Drive for users and developers will be deprecated. You can continue to use this feature for a period of one year until August 31st, 2016, when we will discontinue serving content via googledrive.com/host/[doc id]."

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Hegart Dmishiv

Sep 13, 2015, 5:24:35 AM9/13/15
to TiddlyWiki, jeremy...@gmail.com
Thanks Jeremy, good to know that in advance. I guess pretty much any free hosting site (such as BitBalloon as mentioned by the OP) will do for hosting TW files, as long as they are named index.html, and as long as the host doesn't add their own advertising that somehow breaks the javascript of the TW core. For personal TW projects like mine, there often isn't a budget at all for hosting, so reliance on free hosting becomes a necessary evil.

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 14, 2015, 10:20:48 AM9/14/15
to Hegart Dmishiv, TiddlyWiki
I've not tried to use them with TiddlyWiki, but Neocities might be an interesting option:

They are working with a pretty interesting decentralised web project called IPFS:

Best wishes

Jeremy.

RichardWilliamSmith

Sep 14, 2015, 8:40:00 PM9/14/15
to TiddlyWiki, hegart....@gmail.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi - just wanted to chime in to say that I am actually playing with both of the projects Jeremy mentioned. Neocities is super simple but actually pretty cool to use - it gives you a plain old directory structure for serving html/css/js - it's really easy to upload stuff and it works well with single-file tiddlywikis (though, of course, you can't edit them in place). The whole site is open-source, meaning we could even host our own version just for TWs and associated content if we wanted to.

IPFS is potentially much more interesting and exciting but is not ready for wide-spread use yet. It is a distributed file system in which files are addressed by their hash - it's like "git-hub+bittorrent for everything". This means that when you make a request to the network for a particular file, it gets fetched from the nearest peer who has a valid copy and doesn't need to reach the original copy. It also means that all of the files in the network get versioned, just like github.

It's pretty complicated (at the moment, getting it to work requires installing the Go packages by hand) but it has some really cool implications - like, for example, if your latest blog-post or video 'goes viral', the network will handle the load-surge instead of your server getting over-loaded. Also, it acts as a CDN to speed up page load-times around the world (depending on how your files propagate).

There are plans to launch a companion technology called 'filecoin' that will let you earn money by storing other people's encrypted files and pay to guarantee the availability of your own content. I think it's definitely 'one to watch'. Here is a good introductory video if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=13&v=skMTdSEaCtA

Regards,
Richard

Paulin Gjini

Sep 15, 2015, 3:56:27 AM9/15/15
to TiddlyWiki
If is useful for someone I'm trying to use freehostingnoads.net for webhosting and freenom.com for the domain name that are both free. I use the store.php to save the tw file and the result is http://paulin.ml/tw/.

regards.
paulin

Matabele

Sep 22, 2015, 9:48:08 PM9/22/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi

I have found another hosting site which is (for me) an even easier way of organising and publishing my TW's: https://www.netlify.com/docs

regards

Tobias Beer

Sep 23, 2015, 2:24:15 AM9/23/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Metabele,

I have found another hosting site which is (for me) an even easier way of organising and publishing my TW's: https://www.netlify.com/docs

If I understand right, they simply have you use github pages (in the background), which is possibly one of the best methods for serving static pages and having a commit history / backup to all that.

Best wishes,

— tb

Matabele

Sep 23, 2015, 3:23:43 AM9/23/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobias

Yes -- the website can be setup to automatically sync with your github account, but by default this is not necessary. I don't know if they host your pages or if, by default, sites are synced with other github accounts.

Works nicely in either configuration though -- in both cases an updated wiki can be published from the console in one or two lines (using the netlify client is the easiest, but this doesn't maintain a commit history.)

regards

Danielo Rodríguez

Sep 24, 2015, 6:44:11 AM9/24/15
to TiddlyWiki

El miércoles, 23 de septiembre de 2015, 9:23:43 (UTC+2), Matabele escribió:
Hi Tobias

Yes -- the website can be setup to automatically sync with your github account, but by default this is not necessary. I don't know if they host your pages or if, by default, sites are synced with other github accounts.

Works nicely in either configuration though -- in both cases an updated wiki can be published from the console in one or two lines (using the netlify client is the easiest, but this doesn't maintain a commit history.)

regards

Hello Matabele,

This one looks very interesting. They offer you to connect your site to a github "repository" not account. This is specially cool because each time you push to the github repository (either using git, or github's web interface) they will run a "site generator" of your choice and publish the new content to your website. This is very flexible, cool and powerful because as they say:
  • Fix a typo through Github’s web UI from your mobile
  • Let non-technical users contribute by using prose.io
I'll check it a bit deeper

Matabele

Sep 24, 2015, 8:44:02 AM9/24/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Danielo

Haven't been using netlify for long, but it looks to be a neat solution. My primary concern was to put all of my published wikis into one account (rather than having to update a list of blogspot wikis.)

I found myself repeatedly uploading an updated wiki to blogspot, noticing a small error, and having to update all over again. The ability to commit incremental edits to Github, and having the updated version automatically published to netlify is great.

The fashion in which netlify can make use of Github repositories has other advantages (such as a commit history) which are a huge bonus :-)

I'll take a look at prose.io

regards

Tobias Beer

Sep 24, 2015, 9:22:47 AM9/24/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Metabele,

The fashion in which netlify can make use of Github repositories has other advantages (such as a commit history) which are a huge bonus :-)

Be sure to know the details...

https://www.netlify.com/pricing

Best wishes,

— tb

Matabele

Sep 24, 2015, 9:37:59 AM9/24/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi

Yep -- missed that one. I guess these are the relevant limitations of a free account:

regards

Danielo Rodríguez

Sep 24, 2015, 10:19:40 AM9/24/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Tobias and Matabele,

I have been playing a bit with github and travis to setup an automated process to host tiddliwiki wikis on github for free and the posibility to edit the tiddlers individually directly on github. I will publish a tutorial and even better, a repo to clone and publish your own tiddlywiki in less than 10 minutes without any git knowledge or software installation.

Regards

Matabele

Sep 24, 2015, 10:31:41 AM9/24/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Danielo

That sounds like just what I have been looking for.

regards

Danielo Rodríguez

Sep 24, 2015, 2:59:05 PM9/24/15
to TiddlyWiki

El jueves, 24 de septiembre de 2015, 16:31:41 (UTC+2), Matabele escribió:
Hi Danielo

That sounds like just what I have been looking for.

regards

tony

Sep 28, 2015, 1:14:03 AM9/28/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Here is yet another option for the community: https://sandstorm.io/

Sandstorm is billed as a open source platform for personal servers- to run your app on your own server or hosted by them (personal runs $6USD/month)

Sandstorm lets you run your own server and install apps like EtherCalc, GitLab, Etherpad, Wekan, and more as easily as you'd install apps on your phone. Sandstorm handles login & access control, and can run any web app that runs on Linux, though some apps may need changes to work within the Sandstorm sandbox.

I've played with the demo and tweeted about how nice it would be to have TiddlyWiki play in the SandstormIO playground but have yet to delve into its workings :-] TiddlyWiki would be like a packaged app to installed on your personal server under the SandstormIO platform.

One of the developers replied this helpful link: https://docs.sandstorm.io/en/latest/vagrant-spk/platform-stacks/ to any interested in adding TiddlyWiki to the SandstormIO app store.

After TiddlyWiki is packaged as an app, I think Jeremy or another TW representative developer can sign off as the upstream author as Sandstorm is open to adding additional licenses like BSD3

Any takers? :-)

Best,
tony