Are there possibilities to salvage a broken tiddlywiki?

Tag Schatten

Aug 10, 2020, 5:42:05 PM8/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello all,

I am an enthusiastic enduser, have been for two years. I recommend it to my students and it always works well. Never a problem. Now my wife started to use it, implementing a database for procedures in the company she works for. Aaaaaand... she broke it. No backup copy, no sir. :(

Anyway: The following happens in FireFox, Chrome, Edge and Vivaldi (I attach a screenshot).
  1. She uses Tiddlywiki 5.1.22 and stores locally.

  2. It does not start with the startpage but with the tiddler in the screenshot („Rechnungsstellung“)

  3. The Recent-Tab is open, the correct entries are displayed.

  4. Somehow the entries of the Tools-tab are superimposed. I cannot click them.

  5. I can click on any tiddler and it will open behind „Rechnungsstellung“ (in the screenshot „Protokollversand“). There is no way to get the other tiddler in front.

  6. I cannot close, edit, trash or save any tiddler. All editor-buttons are dead. Alle tags are dead. All Tabs (Recent etc.) are dead.

Does anyone know what has happened? Is there a way to fix it? If not, can I salvage the ~100 lengthy tiddlers? It cost her a month of work in this side project.
tiddly.jpg

Eric Shulman

Aug 10, 2020, 6:25:56 PM8/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 2:42:05 PM UTC-7, Tag Schatten wrote:.
  1. She uses Tiddlywiki 5.1.22 and stores locally.

  2. It does not start with the startpage but with the tiddler in the screenshot („Rechnungsstellung“)

  3. The Recent-Tab is open, the correct entries are displayed.

  4. Somehow the entries of the Tools-tab are superimposed. I cannot click them.

  5. I can click on any tiddler and it will open behind „Rechnungsstellung“ (in the screenshot „Protokollversand“). There is no way to get the other tiddler in front.

  6. I cannot close, edit, trash or save any tiddler. All editor-buttons are dead. Alle tags are dead. All Tabs (Recent etc.) are dead.

Does anyone know what has happened? Is there a way to fix it? If not, can I salvage the ~100 lengthy tiddlers? It cost her a month of work in this side project.

Just a guess... perhaps she used the browser's "save as..." (ctrl-S or popup menu "save as...") rather than using the TiddlyWiki save button in the sidebar.  If so, this will produce a corrupted file in which the current "story river" contents are "stuck" on the page and don't respond to any clicks, and the Sidebar will seem to have two different displays on top of each other.

To fix this, try the following:

1) open https://tiddlywiki.com/empty to view a fresh, empty TiddlyWiki
2) drag the corrupted local file and when you see the green "drop here" bar across the top, drop it onto the open empty.html
3) This will open the $:/Import tiddler.
4) Press the "import" button to accept all the selected tiddlers for import
5) If this works, the open empty.html should now contain all the tiddlers that had been previously saved in the corrupted file.
6) use the TiddlyWiki "save" button from the sidebar to "download" the file and save it locally.

You should then be able to open the local file and continue working with as before.
Just remember to *NEVER* use the browser's save file function...
ALWAYS use the TiddlyWiki save button from the sidebar.

Let me know how it goes...

-e

Tag Schatten

Aug 10, 2020, 7:22:16 PM8/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Yes! Yes. That did the trick to 95%. She lost the seven most recent entries. They weren't in the import menu. And the color-coded-labels are no longer color-coded. Small price for the wife ti pay for NOT saving back-ups.

Thank you very much for the precise and quick help.

Thomas.

TW Tones

Aug 10, 2020, 7:35:57 PM8/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Tag,

Depending on you save method there is usually an automatic backup process. Make sure its working today!

Regards
Tony