Editing transcluded tiddlers in-place

clutterstack

Aug 15, 2020, 9:15:36 PM8/15/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Well, I've had a lovely Hop City Barking Squirrel lager and so clearly I should celebrate by uploading something to GitHub and telling people about it.

It's a little plugin exposing a macro to transclude a tiddler, with a button to open the editor for the transcluded tiddler in-place.

I'm aware this has been done before, most recently, I think, by TW Tones in a single-tiddler solution in this thread
(which I also found quite illuminating as to how many different approaches one might have to a seemingly-simple request).

This plugin kind of fell out while I was refactoring my Omni plugin macros, and, having explored it, I think that for me it's a dead end, as I'm likely to be using something like Omni or Streams already, and it's not exactly a sub-component of Omni. But I packaged it up and put up a demo:

Do with it what you will, but don't lose valuable tiddlers!

One thing that I did with this, that I haven't yet for Omni, was to transclude the $:/core/ui/EditTemplate/body tiddler, and thus gain access to the editor toolbar, and editor operations. I haven't integrated them all, but it did allow me to use Saq's Editor AutoLists on the embedded tiddlers.

..was I supposed to upload, write this message, and celebrate THAT by having the beer? Ah well. Next time.

Cheers,
Chris

Birthe C

Aug 15, 2020, 10:44:42 PM8/15/20
to TiddlyWiki
Waking up in the middle of the night due to toothache...I had a rhum milk.

That might be the reason I could not find where you used the cute icon fish-water.svg you have in the plugin? I had to adopt it.

Birthe

Atronoush Parsi

Aug 16, 2020, 6:20:30 AM8/16/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Chris,
 Wonderful! Thank you for sharing! While there are plugins and code to do such in place editing! But the rider is different and has extra features!
 I love it!

Minor comments:
 - On single click the transcluded tiddler content, it goes to edit mode and I may want to select text and NOT open the editor! So, if edit/view only triggered when the icon/title clicked on the top right of transcluded content is better!
- Let the background and border can be set on demand

Atro

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 5:45 AM clutterstack <bee...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

clutterstack

Aug 16, 2020, 11:09:40 AM8/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Birthe

Waking up in the middle of the night due to toothache...I had a rhum milk.

Ouch! That's the worst. Not the rum, the toothache.

That might be the reason I could not find where you used the cute icon fish-water.svg you have in the plugin? I had to adopt it.

 The fish-water icon was for a button, instead of the text title link, to open the tiddler in the story. It's not in use right now because I was trying to make the "rider" tiddler blend in, with as few buttons as possible. My Omni plugin does use it, though.

Cheers,
Chris

clutterstack

Aug 16, 2020, 5:39:38 PM8/16/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
@Atronoush

Thanks for taking the time to test. I have made an effort to address your comments below in an update to the plugin.

Minor comments:
 - On single click the transcluded tiddler content, it goes to edit mode and I may want to select text and NOT open the editor!

You're right, I can't select text either. I thought drag-to-select-text was working, but apparently that's not how the listeners are stacked. That is a major problem. "Luckily," there is also the problem that if two "riders" are nested, one click on the text can open both editors, so I think it's clear that the separate button is better here. I have now made that change in the plugin.

Aside: I know this is an old and recurring issue. Not sure why I thought it wasn't happening here.

I like the idea of clicking the text to edit, especially if there will be a lot of editing, but for isolated transcluded tiddlers, perhaps it's not that arduous to click a button. For the Omni plugin, perhaps I'll go with a double-click.

- Let the background and border can be set on demand

 I haven't added plugin settings, but I have tweaked my own CSS to be more amenable to customisation, and I've added a demonstration of how to customise the output using a stylesheet tiddler.

Cheers,
Chris

Atronoush Parsi

Aug 17, 2020, 1:19:30 PM8/17/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

 I tested the revised plugin and it works great! I see the look and feel of rider output can be customized now!
 The good news is rider is a pure wikitext plugin and NO Javascript used!

I appreciate all your efforts.

I hope David can cite this plugin in Tiddlywiki Toolmap.

Atro

Cheers,
Chris

clutterstack