Is it possible to divide this Google group into subgroups?

Reet Pandher

Jun 7, 2020, 10:02:12 PM6/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
Sometimes it gets hard to follow the posts in this group. There are just so many types of posts here ; technical questions, general questions, noob questions, new plugins etc.

If it is possible then might I propose a layout that may work for us?
It'd just make it easier to follow certain types of posts.

If not possible then can we introduce categories that you have to put before your headings like we do in Github. e.g. [General], [Plugin Help], [New Macro], [Idea], [New Plugin],  etc.

Obviously i haven't been long enough to dictate the policies. It's just an idea that i feel like might help.

Riz

Jun 7, 2020, 10:47:10 PM6/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
There are subgroups actually. For really technical part, there is Tiddlywiki developer group, for documentation there is Tiddlywiki documentation group and recently there started a group dedicated to Tiddlywiki UI.

There are also tags people can use to classify posts.

Eric Shulman

Jun 7, 2020, 10:52:32 PM6/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 7:02:12 PM UTC-7, Reet Pandher wrote:
Sometimes it gets hard to follow the posts in this group. There are just so many types of posts here ; technical questions, general questions, noob questions, new plugins etc.
can we introduce categories that you have to put before your headings like we do in Github. e.g. [General], [Plugin Help], [New Macro], [Idea], [New Plugin],  etc.

GoogleGroup has a "tagging" feature that allows you to select from a set of defined keywords to assign to your post.  When you compose a *new* post, look at the bottom of the form (below the main text input area), and you will see an input field and set of keywords to pick from.

However, this tagging has not proven to be very effective.  At one time, we permitted anyone to define a new tag value at will, and it became a useless mess of one-off tag values with tons of inconsistent usage.

In the past, we have also used subject headings to indicate general topical areas of interest.  Most notably, a few years ago when TW5 was relatively new, we encouraged users to put "[TWC]" in their subject text to distinguish postings related to TiddlyWiki Classic (version 2.x).  Use of subject headings is fairly visible, and relatively easy to search for.  However, it can also suffer from the same "one-off" problem that GoogleGroups formal tagging system produced.  Nonetheless, it is often better than nothing.  Feel free to start putting subject headings on your postings, and let's see how it goes...

-e
Eric Shulman
TiddlyWiki GoogleGroups Manager

Eric Shulman

Jun 7, 2020, 10:58:38 PM6/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 7:47:10 PM UTC-7, Riz wrote:
There are subgroups actually. For really technical part, there is Tiddlywiki developer group, for documentation there is Tiddlywiki documentation group and recently there started a group dedicated to Tiddlywiki UI.

Strictly speaking, those aren't "subgroups", but rather completely separate groups.  Of course, you can subscribe to all of them, and then you will see those postings as well, but many people, especially new/casual users, are not aware of the different groups, and only use the primary "TiddlyWiki" group for posting and reading messages.

There are also tags people can use to classify posts.

GoogleGroups tagging has proven to be somewhat limited in its effectiveness, and is prone to inconsistent usage at best.  We tried opening it up to allow anyone to define a tag, and it became a useless mess of one-off tags.

-e

Eric Shulman

Jun 7, 2020, 11:44:49 PM6/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 7:52:32 PM UTC-7, Eric Shulman wrote:
GoogleGroup has a "tagging" feature that allows you to select from a set of defined keywords to assign to your post.  When you compose a *new* post, look at the bottom of the form (below the main text input area), and you will see an input field and set of keywords to pick from.

Reet Pandher

Jun 8, 2020, 2:19:46 AM6/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Eric,

Why not stick a post to the top that lists the rules of posting?
example: here

Also, it seems making "categories" is possible in google groups: example i found on google

Eric Shulman

Jun 8, 2020, 3:55:48 AM6/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 11:19:46 PM UTC-7, Reet Pandher wrote:
Why not stick a post to the top that lists the rules of posting?

There is a "welcome message" that appears above the list of postings.  That is the place for any "rules of posting".  However, we don't really have any "rules of posting" in this group.  We allow people to use their own judgement for how to post.  Most of the time, it works out just fine.  If something needs attention for a limited period of time (a week or two at most), I will pin a topic ("display at top") when requested (only admins -- myself, Jeremy, Daniel Baird and Mark S. -- can pin/unpin a topic).

Also, it seems making "categories" is possible in google groups: example i found on google

The "Categories" feature is a completely different setting that has to be enabled and configured by an admin.  A group can either use "tags" or "categories"... but not both.  I'm not sure what impact changing that setting may have on people who use an email feed rather than direct web access.  We might give it a try... but only AFTER I discuss it with Jeremy (once he is feeling better), and only if changing the setting can be easily reversed if we don't like the outcome.

-e

Rizwan Ishak

Jun 8, 2020, 4:02:28 AM6/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
Can the admins or moderators tag the posts? This is what we do in reddit. If a tag is untagged or wrongly tagged, the moderators modify the tag of the post. We also added widgets to sidebar with buttons like "plugins", "adaptation" etc pressing on which users can filter out just the plugin announcement posts. This will act as a community resource which can replace individual efforts like tiddlytoolmap.

Eric Shulman

Jun 8, 2020, 4:22:40 AM6/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 1:02:28 AM UTC-7, Riz wrote:
Can the admins or moderators tag the posts? This is what we do in reddit. If a tag is untagged or wrongly tagged, the moderators modify the tag of the post. We also added widgets to sidebar with buttons like "plugins", "adaptation" etc pressing on which users can filter out just the plugin announcement posts. This will act as a community resource which can replace individual efforts like tiddlytoolmap.

Tags are applied to the entire thread, not individual posts.  I can edit tags for any thread, but I'm not sure if non-moderators can do that as well.  Take a look at the top of the thread.  It is currently has one tag: "GoogleGroup".  On my display, there is an "edit tags" link the current tag.  Does that show for you as well?

There's no facility on GoogleGroups for adding "widgets" or "buttons" to the sidebar.  However, there is a "search for messages" control at the top of the page.  Take note of the "down arrow" (just to the left of the magnifying glass).  If you press that arrow, it will show a popup panel with options for searching.  One of the options is "with tag" which should allow you to find messages based on a specified tag value.

-e

Rizwan Ishak

Jun 8, 2020, 4:35:02 AM6/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
Of course I meant tagging threads only. No, edit tags is not available to non-moderators. I think that is good, only original poster and mods should have the ability to tag a thread. I am suggesting whenever a poster tags a thread wrong, or forgets to tag, mods can step in and tag the thread so that in future, new users like OP can browse through announcement posts and so.

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 8, 2020, 2:31:36 PM6/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
Eric Shulman wrote

Strictly speaking, those aren't "subgroups", but rather completely separate groups.  Of course, you can subscribe to all of them, and then you will see those postings as well, but many people, especially new/casual users, are not aware of the different groups ...

I think it is CRAZY we don't have a permanent pinned post in this group that ...

{a) lists the other important groups (most used, active) ... on GG and elsewhere

(b) lists vital resources like TiddlyWiki Toolmap.

Just MO
TT

Eric Shulman

Jun 8, 2020, 4:20:37 PM6/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 11:31:36 AM UTC-7, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
I think it is CRAZY we don't have a permanent pinned post in this group that ...
{a) lists the other important groups (most used, active) ... on GG and elsewhere
(b) lists vital resources like TiddlyWiki Toolmap.

We don't need to use a "pinned" post for that.  There is already a "welcome message" that appears directly above the postings.

This is the current welcome message, which includes links to the key TiddlyWiki groups:

Welcome to the TiddlyWiki 5 discussion group for end users. Feel free to ask questions - we welcome newcomers, and are eager to help everyone get the best out of TiddlyWiki 5.
  • Discussions about TiddlyWiki Classic have moved to the TiddlyWikiClassic group
  • See the TiddlyWikiDev group for technical questions about JavaScript, CSS etc.
  • See the TiddlyWikiDocs group for discussions about improving the documentation.
  • An enhanced group search facility is available via mail-archive.com
  • Please remember that people reading your post via email won't see any edits you make after posting; it's usually best to make a follow up post if you have substantive comments to add or correct.
Feel free to make any suggestions for additions/changes to the above text.  Keep it simple and direct.

-e

tony

Jun 8, 2020, 4:21:50 PM6/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
FYI Google Groups has star feature where users click a star next to the post of interest and the Starred listing is captured in the left nav under Starred https://groups.google.com/forum/#!starred

I use it all the time to capture threads or posts of interest particularly code snippets to later slurp that formally in TiddlyWiki.

It is really not very difficult to do.

Best,
tony

Eric Shulman

Jun 8, 2020, 4:36:07 PM6/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 1:21:50 PM UTC-7, tony wrote:
FYI Google Groups has star feature where users click a star next to the post of interest and the Starred listing is captured in the left nav under Starred https://groups.google.com/forum/#!starred
I use it all the time to capture threads or posts of interest particularly code snippets to later slurp that formally in TiddlyWiki.
It is really not very difficult to do.

Marking a topic with the "star" IS a great way to keep track of postings *you* want to visit again.

However, it is an individual user thing, not a group thing.

I'm fairly certain that the OP suggestion was to provide categories to help *others* more easily find postings that might be of interest to them.

There is an option to configure the group into sub-categories.  However, as I already noted in a different response in this thread:

Ikasten Enneco-Gotzon

Jun 8, 2020, 7:17:03 PM6/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
  • See the TiddlyWikiDev group for technical questions about JavaScript, CSS etc
My God!

If it is already quite hard to me to understand what our coding experts are talking about, to became a member of the TiddlyWikiDev group would make myself feel like an octopus in the outer space…
Message has been deleted

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 9, 2020, 6:07:42 PM6/9/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I never really understood why there is no first line saying something like ...

  • At tiddlywiki.com you can use, learn, read about & download TiddlyWiki.

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 9, 2020, 6:14:42 PM6/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Eric Shulman wrote:

  • Please remember that people reading your post via email won't see any edits you make after posting; it's usually best to make a follow up post if you have substantive comments to add or correct

It would be better this was not a bullet point. likely better like this with a space before it ...

Please remember that people reading your post via email won't see any edits you make after posting; it's usually best to make a follow up post if you have substantive comments to add or correct

TT

Eric Shulman

Jun 9, 2020, 9:28:11 PM6/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 3:07:42 PM UTC-7, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
I never really understood why there is no first line saying something like ...

  • At tiddlywiki.com you can use, learn, read about & download TiddlyWiki.
Added to Welcome message

Eric Shulman

Jun 9, 2020, 9:29:20 PM6/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 3:14:42 PM UTC-7, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
It would be better this was not a bullet point. likely better like this with a space before it ...

Please remember that people reading your post via email won't see any edits you make after posting; it's usually best to make a follow up post if you have substantive comments to add or correct

Moved after bullets, italic, and re-worded a bit.