Improving User Experience: Tiddler Placement Upon Opening

John Berryman

Aug 23, 2011, 8:05:21 AM8/23/11
to TiddlyWiki
Currently, if you have a TiddlyWiki open and you click a link to
Tiddler B from Tiddler A, TW opens B, places it below A, and then
scrolls your screen down to B. At that point I might click C from B
and the same thing happens. The problem, though, is that after
reading C, I would like to be "returned" to B and after reading B I
would like to be "returned" to A. Cognitively, this is like
traversing back through the conversations on my way out and it makes
more sense to me. Actually, this is what I currently do, but the
"returning" is not automatic. Rather I'm scrolling to find the
tiddler I was looking at before. Sometimes I lose track of what I was
thinking about and my screen becomes filled with tiddlers that are no
longer in my topic thread.

A solution: When opening B from a link in A, place B *above* A and
then have the screen scroll to B. This way, I naturally scroll down
when reading B and once finished I will again be in A.

Other small improvements: place the close tiddler control at the
bottom of tiddlers (that's easy enough). Also, if a tiddler is
already open when a link for it is clicked, *move* it to just above
the source tiddler and scroll to it rather than just scrolling to
wherever it currently is.

Is there any way to currently do this? I once used TW as
documentation for a project and then handed the TW over to my client,
but I'm afraid that using a TW for just reading can be a bit
disorienting.

Alvaro Tejero Cantero

Aug 23, 2011, 12:14:29 PM8/23/11
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
John,

I see your points about tiddler placement on-first-open and on-reopen.

But I'd like to comment on the close button. If you place the
close-tiddler control at the end of tiddlers, then it becomes an
unpredictably placed element of the UI. Sometimes you may even have to
scroll to discover it.

-á.

John Berryman

Aug 23, 2011, 11:03:26 PM8/23/11
to TiddlyWiki
Can't you just place them at both ends? Top and bottom?

Data Computist

Aug 24, 2011, 1:42:59 PM8/24/11
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I had thought about some of your points. I had always felt needing
unnecessarily scroll back and forth to find the tiddler i started
with.
--
lumen...@gmail.com

andrew.j.harrison84

Aug 24, 2011, 7:27:48 PM8/24/11
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

With mine, tiddler opens below but doesn't scroll down to it. I would prefer it if everything would just always open at the top. Is there a setting that can be configured?

Eric Shulman

Aug 24, 2011, 9:56:10 PM8/24/11
to TiddlyWiki
> everything would just always open at the top. Is there a setting that
> can be configured?

http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#SinglePageModePlugin
http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#SinglePageModePluginInfo

has an option for "open tiddlers at top of column"

enjoy,
-e
Eric Shulman
TiddlyTools / ELS Design Studios

John Berryman

Aug 26, 2011, 9:01:08 AM8/26/11
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Eric, that appears to work pretty well. If I could tweet it
just a little to my particular use case, I would make the new Tiddler
open just above the current Tiddler - but opening at the top of the
page gets me 90% of the way there.

-John

On Aug 24, 9:56 pm, Eric Shulman <elsdes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > everything would just always open at the top. Is there a setting that
> > can be configured?
>
> http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#SinglePageModePluginhttp://www.TiddlyTools.com/#SinglePageModePluginInfo

Tobias Beer

Aug 27, 2011, 1:41:29 PM8/27/11
to TiddlyWiki
Hi John,

Perhaps it would help you if you try to place eric's breadcrumbs at
the bottom of each tiddler... that way you can instantly see, where
you last were and roll back to any of those previously opened tiddlers
whenever you reach the bottom of a tiddler. To not clutter the story
with breadcrumbs all over the place, you could style those per-tiddler
breadcrumbs such that they would only show if you mouse-over or
"hover" the current tiddler. However, I am not sure, whether or not
Eric's current version allows you to have multiple breadcrumb trails
on a page. That would require some testing.

Cheers, Tobias.