$100 COMPETITION! - Make a poster for TW

Mat

Dec 4, 2014, 7:56:00 PM12/4/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Fellow tiddlywikians,

Win $100 contributed, in your name, to the guidebook Inside TiddlyWiki - the Missing Manual by expert TW developer and expert TW educator Eric Shulman.

...by designing a A4/letter sized poster that attracts people to TiddlyWiki

It should be ready for simple print out, with a common printer, to put up on university billboards, in corporate lunch rooms, taped on the lab door, public outdoor billboards, community houses, etc. This is a rare opportunity to contribute to our community without being a programmer! Or a spender for that matter ;-)

The competition will run December out and the winner will be announced shortly thereafter and the prize will be transferred to the Inside TiddlyWiki project. The grand jury is... well, let's just say it's as small as it gets and highly subjective ;-)

Critera
  • The purpose of the poster is to get the maximum number of new people to try out TW.
    Beautiful graphics, ugly sketches, 3-D tiddlers or 3-year toddlers - use whatever it takes to get people to try TW. Ok,  no profanity, false claims, etc. The jury evaluates only perceived effectiveness at attracting people to TW.
  • SVG format ideally, but if not available in your software then use jpeg, tiff or png (unless some expert here objects). The idea is anyone can print it on a common color printer but SVG is particularly good for embedding on the website.
  • Size  -  210mm × 279mm (8.26" × 11") to work both for European (A4) and North American (letter size) paper BUT you should probably include some margin in this because printers often add this. Pure text typically has 25mm/1" margin.
    Portrait or landscape does not matter.

Yes, of course you can send in multiple different candidates! Maybe add a black/white version? Not necessary to win, but good for TW. There is only one winner but all contributions will be available for use in (only) TiddlyWiki contexts.

Tips

A good framework for designing an effective poster is the well known AIDA formula;
  • get the Attention ("catch the eye"),
  • create Interest ("hm, wiki what?"),
  • create Desire ("...oh, I could use that for ... !")
  • stimulate Action ("I'm must go to tw.com now!")

It is my absolute belief that the most valuable contribution the majority of us here can do is to get more members to our community. This is the prerequisite for everything else, including more development.

...so get a pen and paper or switch over to that graphics software you've got - now! ;-)

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 10, 2014, 9:50:25 PM12/10/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
This looks pretty interesting, working on a concept right now. Should the entries be posted here too for reference?
Message has been deleted

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 10, 2014, 11:33:04 PM12/10/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Ok, so here is my entry, what do you guys think?
The text is generic, may be adjusted to whatever you want later, its was designed in Inkscape so the original is a full vector artwork available in SVG:

Birthe C

Dec 11, 2014, 3:23:14 AM12/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Duarte
Lovely fish, beautifully coloured. We could pick colours from that for many a TiddlyWiki palette.

Birthe

Tobias Beer

Dec 11, 2014, 4:39:59 AM12/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so here is my entry, what do you guys think?

It's pretty awesome, is what I think.

Stephen Kimmel

Dec 11, 2014, 8:07:48 AM12/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
My immediate thought was that it was a Babel fish. Aren't Babel fish was yellow? (And if you don't know what a Babel fish is then you need to refer to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.) On further thought, its that European fish with the slang name tiddler.

It's very nice. I can see us using that on the HelloThere page.

Mat

Dec 11, 2014, 11:51:09 AM12/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Duarte!

As jury (er, I mean, as part of the grand jury, of course) I will intentionally refrain from expressing what I think of it right now other than to say that you're clearly displaying graphical skill. As mentioned previously, this is not a criteria per se for the purpose described so I hope nobody gets scared off.

As an encouragement to everybody - this actually is the only contibution coming in thus far! You can't let Duarte win this without any competition, can you? Consider that you're doing it for the improvement of TW and that you win the $100 perks in the Inside Tiddlywiki: the Missing Manual:
  • Participate in online review and feedback
  • PLUS listed as a "Sponsor of Inside TiddlyWiki" online and in the final publication
  • PLUS credit for one hour of private consulting to evaluate/debug one of your original TiddlyWiki documents.

This last bullet alone - one hour of private consultation from a Silicon Valley programming expert specialized in TiddlyWiki - is worth many times the $100.

Have you dismissed some things as "so difficult I don't even know where to start so I'll just leave it...but it would be fantastic if... " - well, Eric can help you!

Imagine talking with Eric right now - what would you bring up?

<:-)

Tobias Beer

Dec 11, 2014, 12:30:58 PM12/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
It's got something organic to chew on, producing some rather clear output (not sure about the metaphor :D ) ...it's got a bit of a techie, edgy feel, but playful ...it's futuristic, but an animal ... simple, but colorful as a rainbow. Kinda cute.

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 11, 2014, 12:40:07 PM12/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

Haha didn't know about the babel fish from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so that must be where the name of the old yahoo translation website came from.

I did forget to mention the ideia behind it all, this was actually inspired by an idea that ran quite some time ago back when you were searching for an official icon for TiddlyWiki. I always thought the word tiddler came from tiddly as small or compact and simple, but apparently as Stephen mentioned it is also a fish species whose scientific name, according to Wikipedia, is Three-Spined Stickleback.
Doing a Google search I found a few nice images which I use as reference reference, and the colors are actually more or less accurate according to the last image found in this website, with some artistic liberties in the mix of course.

So it should be pretty straightforward now, the fish obviously came from the "tiddler" species, and those lines, that "go in" all tangled and "come out" straight and lined up represent how tiddlywiki is great for organizing and displaying your information in a neat and customizable fashion. The triangulated "low poly" style seems to be pretty much "the thing" currently throughout the internet, did my best to capture that feeling.

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 11, 2014, 1:00:57 PM12/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Whether I win this or not I think that book is a very noble cause and I'll probably consider donating in the future anyway. Is this book targeted for tiddlywiki classic, or for TW5?

I hope it's the later, I was a TiddlyWiki classic user quite a few years ago, I am strongly considering coming back to TW5 given it's power and new features, but being a mere user with very limited coding skills the lack of documentation is still an issue for me.
Having that book as a TiddlyWiki I can refer to any time will be a great bonus

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 11, 2014, 1:12:38 PM12/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Ok, original file updated with some small tweaks. Added a soft background and fixed some typos and text.
As stated earlier, the text is just a placeholder, something more "official" sounding should probably be written by the developers or the knowledgeable people here

Jon

Dec 11, 2014, 1:59:08 PM12/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
 On Thursday, 11 December 2014 18:12:38 UTC, Duarte Farrajota Ramos wrote:
those lines, that "go in" all tangled and "come out" straight and lined up represent how tiddlywiki is great for organizing and displaying your information in a neat and customizable fashion.

I think it's stunning but funnily enough I read the lines the other way round - that the straight lines were what went in, and what came out was something more organic, representing the various interactions of individual tiddlers producing a variety of possible stories.
Jon.

Mat

Dec 11, 2014, 2:33:45 PM12/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Duarte Farrajota Ramos wrote:
As stated earlier, the text is just a placeholder, something more "official" sounding should probably be written by the developers or the knowledgeable people here

While "the developers or the knowledgeable people here" can correct possible factual errors you may write, I should point out that those people probably not representative of the people who will see your poster up on walls over the world (should it win). In other words; I strongly urge you to actually phrase the words so that it will be the poster that you think would attract the maximum number of people to try out TW. Factual errors are disregarded and can be corrected later, but your disclaimer is almost saying "I've created half of a poster" which is not fair to yourself because you did clearly put thought into the text.

Now that said, your point does raise an important aspect: This competition and the poster is of course for the benefit of the TW community (us!) so it should be clear that all contributions belong to the community and can be manipulated by anyone for the promotion of TW. Allowing for the text to be easily changed for local demographics (languages, tech vs non-tech people, age...) is very good. Still, to actually phrase the words is part of the poster and part of the challenge.

@Jeremy
BTW, if Jeremy is positive, maybe tw.com could host more than a single poster for easy access and download (maybe at .../posters). But there is still only one winning poster in the competition, of course.

Thank you for your contribution Duarte!

<:-)

David Gifford

Dec 11, 2014, 6:28:36 PM12/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

Don't consider this a contest entry, just a suggestion for the poster text. Were I a graphic designer I would put bundles of light gray tiddler icons to the left and right of the text, linked to each other blue lines to show that the tiddlers are connected like a network. Instead I offer this accompanying text for your consideration. Could go with the pooping fish design or some other design. Blessings.
twposter.png
Message has been deleted

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 11, 2014, 9:27:39 PM12/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I did give some thought about what I wrote, those are the features that stand out the most to me, I may want think a little and rephrase them a little better for an eventual final version though, or perhaps even gather the top ideas from the "common folk" in this community and make a collection.
I was however actually more concerned about any technical inaccuracies I could inadvertently write, but that sounds like a good idea, keeping an editable format around for the community to be able to adapt the poster to any particular event/language/target audience that may be arise. Or perhaps alternatively contemplate some blank space specifically for that purpose in the very design of the wining poster, so that whoever prints it can add any local information.
If need arises I can help translate any texts to Portuguese, my native language

Most welcome, my pleasure to participate.

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 11, 2014, 9:41:37 PM12/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Hahahah "the pooping fish design" made me laugh, nice nickname!
The "connecting words" is actually a great idea, made a new poster based on the concept more abstract design if you are more into that sort of thing.
Think wikiwords, tags and links that connect tiddlers together in a complex global network mesh, hope you like it.

On a side note, also updated the original poster to match the correct required dimensions, realized I had specified the wrong paper size.

Stephen Kimmel

Dec 11, 2014, 10:30:16 PM12/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I have about artistic ability as a can of beans but if it will help prompt a few more folks to turn something into the competition... Here are two entries from me.
youcancreate.jpg
doctorsorders.jpg

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 11, 2014, 10:51:29 PM12/11/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Pretty funny posters eheh, really like the planet one, the sublte glow and fish overlay really give it some meaning

Eric Shulman

Dec 12, 2014, 2:34:30 AM12/12/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:41:37 PM UTC-8, Duarte Farrajota Ramos wrote:

Hahahah "the pooping fish design" made me laugh, nice nickname!
The "connecting words" is actually a great idea, made a new poster based on the concept more abstract design if you are more into that sort of thing.
Think wikiwords, tags and links that connect tiddlers together in a complex global network mesh, hope you like it.

Suggestion: make the "crystal" shape in the middle a classic symmetric diamond cut (58 triangular and kite-shaped facets)... the implication being that the facets are tiddlers, and bringing them together in an organized way makes a very valuable result.

-e

Birthe C

Dec 12, 2014, 4:36:21 AM12/12/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen
The prescription is my  favourit. I seem to have problems finding the right daily dose though.

Birthe

Tobias Beer

Dec 12, 2014, 8:05:59 AM12/12/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
The prescription is my  favourit. I seem to have problems finding the right daily dose though.

:D

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 12, 2014, 7:23:47 PM12/12/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

What do you think, @Eric Shulman?

Once again, all proposals are full vector artworks, drawn in Inkscape, and available as SVG files for native inclusion in tiddlywiki.
This one had an auxiliary 3D model in Blender to get the diamond shape just right.

Andreas Hahn

Dec 12, 2014, 7:49:25 PM12/12/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Am 13.12.2014 01:23, schrieb Duarte Farrajota Ramos:
> Once again, all proposals are full vector artworks, drawn in Inkscape,
> and available as SVG files for native inclusion in tiddlywiki.
> This one had an auxiliary 3D model in Blender to get the diamond shape
> just right.

And once again, it looks very nice. I really like the idea of trying to
expressing the concept of TiddlyWiki through geometric shapes. I however
also think that any text included in such
a poster should be easily readable and particularly the bottom text
might be a bit too much grey on grey ?

/Andreas

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 12, 2014, 8:02:36 PM12/12/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Right you are, should any of tese posters win, some color adjustments to the text might have to be made. Some times what's more "visually appealing" is not always easier to read.
Also, if these are to be print-ready, those backgrounds might be a little environment unfriendly and cost ineffective, and color ink might not always be available so maybe a monochrome version might be in order.

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 12, 2014, 8:05:35 PM12/12/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Updated version with some small color tweaks and size adjustments to better fit new paper size, also added a slight shadow to help the little tiddler pop out a little more.

Stephen Kimmel

Dec 13, 2014, 1:05:50 PM12/13/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I think that the poster graphic should be an integral part of the message. It can't be just a pretty picture; it must convey its own message as well. That's part of why I like the fish version better than the diamond. It has TiddlyWiki represented by the fish (I doubt that anyone on this side of the pond will see the picture and think "Oh, that's a stylized three spined stickleback also known as a tiddler) sucking in chaos and pooping out order. The diamond... something valuable with scaffolding perhaps?

One of the dictums they teach every beginning writer is to "Show not Tell." Obviously showing what TiddlyWiki can do on a poster is a lot harder than just telling is going to be a challenge but I think the graphic should make the attempt.

By the way, Duarte, my favorite of the posters suggested so far, is your fish.

Felix Küppers

Dec 13, 2014, 1:48:34 PM12/13/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
@David - Just wanted to say, I really like your text (and the word styling of the words "links" and "tags" is also a great idea). Its clean and simple, yet creates interest.

Felix

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 13, 2014, 2:11:42 PM12/13/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
That's what I tried to achieve with the images here to a certain extent:
  • The fish represents the tiddler
  • The "crystal" and nodes represent how the several linking elements (links, tags, wikiwords,etc.) constitute the backbone of a tiddlywiki
  • And the diamond resulted fromEric Shulman's suggestion and I quote "implication being that the facets are tiddlers, and bringing them together in an organized way makes a very valuable result" - and solid if I may add

Although has you said conveying through images the abstract concepts of a "wiki" and "information" is very hard, and not always universal (like the fish, in Portuguese for example a tiddler means absolutely nothing).

Still we can start aiming here on the opposite direction and perhaps instead try to associate a strong (even if somewhat random) image with tiddywiki brand

wimm

Dec 15, 2014, 1:25:47 AM12/15/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
This is my attempt
WiM
tw poster v3.jpg

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 15, 2014, 7:32:36 AM12/15/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
This is probably the best attempt at graphically expressing what the tiddlywiki functionality is. Pretty cool

On Monday, 15 December 2014 06:25:47 UTC, wimm wrote:
This is my attempt
WiM

Felix Küppers

Dec 15, 2014, 11:23:49 AM12/15/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi WiM,

this is really a cool picture!

Under which license did you publish it? Would you mind granting me the rights to use it as it I want to use it for my tw-taskgraph plugin :)

Your graphical elements really look like the nodes in taskgraph.

See the demo here: http://wkpr.de/hosting/tmp/tw5/taskgraph/

Felix

Matias Goldman

Dec 15, 2014, 12:27:30 PM12/15/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Under which license did you publish it? Would you mind granting me the rights to use it as it I want to use it for my tw-taskgraph plugin :)

Yes WiM, great that you're contributing!

Felix, while it of course is nice that you ask WiM, I stated in an earlier message that:

This competition and the poster is of course for the benefit of the TW community (us!) so it should be clear that all contributions belong to the community and can be manipulated by anyone for the promotion of TW.

I would include promoting your tw-taskgraph in promoting TW.

<:-)

wimm

Dec 15, 2014, 1:17:18 PM12/15/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
second attempt added some text (required according to the rules ;-)
WiM
tw5 poster v3 WiM.png

Mat

Dec 15, 2014, 2:02:50 PM12/15/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, December 15, 2014 7:17:18 PM UTC+1, wimm wrote:
second attempt added some text (required according to the rules ;-)
WiM

Sorry if I've been unclear: text is not at all required. The contributions are judged according to how well they are perceived to accomplish the goal i.e to attract people to try out TW. It could be a poster showing... well just anything, at least hypothetically.

The point I made on Dec. 11 regarding text was that a poster with a mere "dedicated space" for text is not good because it is not something anyone can actually use. It is not a finished poster for anyone to simply print out. But if your poster is supposed to look a certain way, with or without text (or images, or whatever) then, hey, go ahead!

I'm sorry if I was unclear but I'm happy you brought this up! Don't hesitate to tell me if there's anything unclear.

Again, WiM, thank you for your contribution!!!

<:-)

Mat

Dec 15, 2014, 2:09:22 PM12/15/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
 @everybody

One more thing; please note that it is not necessary to post your poster here in the google group. You can also email to me at: boardsmm at gmail dot com as I stated in the introductory announcement.

Notice that the competition is for the good of TW - we want the best poster -(s?) possible for TW - so, just like with TW and open source, it is fully allowed to take ideas from others and improve on them. This means it is also a "risk" putting up your contributions on the boards.

<:-)

Felix Küppers

Dec 15, 2014, 2:10:11 PM12/15/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Felix, while it of course is nice that you ask WiM, I stated in an earlier message that:

This competition and the poster is of course for the benefit of the TW community (us!) so it should be clear that all contributions belong to the community and can be manipulated by anyone for the promotion of TW.

I would include promoting your tw-taskgraph in promoting TW.

Nice! Thanks for this clarification Mat! The I will use it for my purposes. :)

Felix

wimm

Dec 15, 2014, 3:10:57 PM12/15/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Felix,
your welcome
WiM

Felix Küppers

Dec 15, 2014, 3:19:13 PM12/15/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Felix,
your welcome
WiM

Thanks WiM!

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 15, 2014, 5:57:27 PM12/15/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Is it ok if we post the posters elsewhere?
If you are ok with it I would later like to post it on the Inkscape users community page on Google+

Mat

Dec 15, 2014, 6:35:57 PM12/15/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, December 15, 2014 11:57:27 PM UTC+1, Duarte Farrajota Ramos wrote:
Is it ok if we post the posters elsewhere?
If you are ok with it I would later like to post it on the Inkscape users community page on Google+

I think it's fair to say that all contributions in this competition are intended to be spread as absolutely much as possible - on the presumption that they are used for the promotion of TiddlyWiki or the TiddlyWiki community. If anyone objects, raise your voice now or yee shall forver be silent.

However, I'm thinking we should add a small "Copyright © TiddlyWiki community" on the poster for a (microscopic) protection against some other part blatantly using our posters for other purposes. That local stickleback dealer, to name one fishy guy.

<:-)

Alex Hough

Dec 16, 2014, 4:39:21 PM12/16/14
to TiddlyWiki
I think it would be good to reach out to the StickleBack community. There is a potential source of imagery, information to extend the small fish metaphor.

My current favourite StickleBack researcher is Jolle Jolles [1]

He reports [2]:

Research carried out in the Zoology Department at the University of Cambridge suggests that observations of these tiny fish, and how they interact with one another, could provide important insights into the dynamics of social groups, including humans.

The video of the research gives some indication of the quality of images being produced - of individuals and schools.

Alex

Alex Hough

Dec 16, 2014, 7:44:15 PM12/16/14
to TiddlyWiki
Ok.... here we go... a personal non linear online notebook exploring sticklebacks and TiddlyWiki

Alex
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Birthe C

Dec 17, 2014, 12:04:32 AM12/17/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

When I saw your former links I couldn't help thinking, "but where are the tiddlers?" I did not have to worry for long ;-). Nice to see tiddlers holding several sticklebacks. And the big black one running over the screen, so funny.

Biggest tiddler caught

Birthe

Mat

Dec 17, 2014, 4:38:51 PM12/17/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 1:44:15 AM UTC+1, AlexHough wrote:

Ya gotta love it! Scrolling down, I got a bit scared of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Tiddlers tho. Tiddlers are supposed to be small chunks, but those is clearly something with too much content. Sections or divs or something.

If we have a $100 video competition, that one is in the lead so far.

Speaking of the competition: Do keep the contributions coming, here or to above stated email. And do suggest ideas too.

<:-)

wimm

Dec 22, 2014, 8:33:32 AM12/22/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
 Version 4 includes QR code and a stickleback (stekelbaarsje). Ppt/Pdf/Svg also available.
K.R.
WiM
tw5 poster wimm v4 QRcode preview.jpg

Felix Küppers

Dec 22, 2014, 9:21:21 AM12/22/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Just a question: Does Tiddlywiki have a logo like other projects have:

Maybe that's also worth a thought at some point If we think of developing a corporate design.

-Felix

Mat

Dec 22, 2014, 10:04:39 AM12/22/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
WiM - great that you're continuing the creative process! Interesting idea with the QR code! Do people actually use those? I assume it is instead of manually typing the url, right?

Felix wrote:
Just a question: Does Tiddlywiki have a logo like other projects have:

There has been detabe on this before. I think that as of TW5, Motovun Jack is probably as close as it gets.

<:-)

wimm

Dec 22, 2014, 3:35:40 PM12/22/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
WiM - great that you're continuing the creative process! Interesting idea with the QR code! Do people actually use those? I assume it is instead of manually typing the url, right?

http://www.tiddlywiki.com

The QR-code can be scanned with your smart phone camera and an app, it will display the URL and then allows you to jump to the site with the browser.

Felix wrote:
Just a question: Does Tiddlywiki have a logo like other projects have:

There has been detabe on this before. I think that as of TW5, Motovun Jack is probably as close as it gets.

Attached my version with Motovun Jack-logo and -pictures in pdf format. Motovun Jack images are of course (c) by Jeremy Ruston .
tw5 poster QR-code motovun jack.pdf

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 22, 2014, 3:58:23 PM12/22/14
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Felix, Mat,

> Just a question: Does Tiddlywiki have a logo like other projects have

I think of Motovun Jack as being more of a mascot than a logo. The distinction being that a logo is generally intended to be reproduced in a consistent style/colours etc., whereas a mascot can be morphed and changed to suit the purpose at hand.

The rationale for a kitten being the mascot is that a well-fed kitten is full of tiddlers...

The other reason is that I encountered Jack during a brief holiday in Croatia just as I was leaving BT and deciding to work on TiddlyWiki5. I've uploaded a bunch of the other photos here:

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com
Message has been deleted

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 22, 2014, 4:32:30 PM12/22/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Thanks for that explanation, Jeremy, I've always been intrigued by that cat, and wondered were it came from or why it is featured frequently in tiddlywiki related matters.
Now that is one curious story, thanks for sharing! This should definitely be officially featured in tiddlywiki.com as label for the image. :)

Felix Küppers

Dec 23, 2014, 9:22:32 AM12/23/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy

The rationale for a kitten being the mascot is that a well-fed kitten is full of tiddlers...

Nice allegory.

The other reason is that I encountered Jack during a brief holiday in Croatia just as I was leaving BT and deciding to work on TiddlyWiki5. I've uploaded a bunch of the other photos here:

Truly amazing pictures in all your albums.

-Felix

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 23, 2014, 9:27:26 AM12/23/14
to Felix Küppers, TiddlyWiki
> Truly amazing pictures in all your albums.

Thank you - although I think it's the camera that does all the work really :)

Best wishes

Jeremy.

-Felix

Felix Küppers

Dec 23, 2014, 9:52:31 AM12/23/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, felixk...@hotmail.de, jeremy...@gmail.com

Thank you - although I think it's the camera that does all the work really :)

Hehe, must be a camera then that has a great sense for mood, and for situations full of ambiance :)

Mat

Dec 23, 2014, 10:03:08 AM12/23/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, felixk...@hotmail.de, jeremy...@gmail.com
Thank you - although I think it's the camera that does all the work really :)

But of course, haha! I can only agree w Felix - those are some terrific pictures!!

<:-)

Alex Hough

Dec 23, 2014, 4:29:59 PM12/23/14
to TiddlyWiki
Inline images 1

Some kind of logo made from WikiText

          !  !  !
 < * ]]~~~~~~~ >< ]]
         #

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 24, 2014, 3:17:24 AM12/24/14
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Alex

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Alex Hough <r.a....@gmail.com> wrote:
Inline images 1

Some kind of logo made from WikiText

          !  !  !
 < * ]]~~~~~~~ >< ]]
         #

Very good. We could do with an ASCII art logo for embedding into the source code...

Best wishes

Jeremy.

On 23 December 2014 at 15:03, Mat <matia...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you - although I think it's the camera that does all the work really :)

But of course, haha! I can only agree w Felix - those are some terrific pictures!!

<:-)

Mat

Jan 1, 2015, 5:17:50 PM1/1/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends!

December has ended - so who is the winner in the poster competition?

...well, a thing has come up that makes me extend the contribution period a few days:

Eric is temporarily increasing the perks for the contributions to the Inside TiddlyWiki: The Missing Manual project!

He is giving a special super duper perk week and generiously gave persmission for the poster competition to ride on this! This means the winner - maybe YOU - will make it to the $500 "PARTNER" PERK level and win:

* access to the "Inside TiddlyWiki" discussion group, where you can review early drafts of book content
* listed in the book credits as a "Partner of Inside TiddlyWiki"
* an autographed, "first edition" PRINTED COPY OF THE FINAL PUBLISHED BOOK
* 4 hours credit toward private TiddlyWiki consulting services

Obviously all poster contributions thus far are potential candidates for this. But now you guys who have not yet put down your ideas into a poster - do so NOW and post it here or send it to me!

The WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED THIS WEEK END

Alex Hough

Jan 2, 2015, 4:40:04 PM1/2/15
to TiddlyWiki
}<!!!!!;( º>

-------
Click on a Tiddler to take you home

Grow you own

[[ }<'''';(  º> ]]
[[ < º ;)!!!!'>{ ]]

Alex

< º );Cut and Paste the below into your TiddlyWiki >{

!! ASCI Fish - [[Links

}-<|||||||('>

| eye | º * |
| gill | ( |
|tail | } 彡 |
|body | //o //|

``>°))))彡``

~~ >°))))))))><<  ~~

(◕ ))))))) ><<

 [[¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>]]

  * ><((((º>

looking for stickleback fish, three spines

| [[}<'''(º> ]] | |
| [[}<o'''(º> ]] | |
| [[ }<''',( º>]] | |
| [[ }<'''';(  º>]] | |
| [[ }<'''';(  º> ]] |  |
| [[ }<^^^;(  º> ]] | spines |
| [[ }<!!!!!;(  º> ]] | spines |

! Links

Japanese Fish text emoticon

Alex Hough

Jan 2, 2015, 6:25:55 PM1/2/15
to TiddlyWiki
More fish here

http://asciifish.tiddlyspot.com/

please let me know what you think!

Alex

Handoko Suwono

Jan 2, 2015, 11:37:58 PM1/2/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I am eager to see the outcome.

I have seen a few of them, they are good. Isn't it possible for us to vote for one which has the most likes to win or as part of the weighted average on winning? If that so you should make them paraded for awhile before deciding the best.

Handoko -

On Friday, December 5, 2014 7:56:00 AM UTC+7, Mat wrote:
[...]

wimm

Jan 3, 2015, 7:52:03 AM1/3/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

final attempt

KR

WiM

20141222 motovun jack logo left.pdf

Mat

Jan 3, 2015, 5:42:09 PM1/3/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Dear all!

I am proud to say the jury has reached a decision. And the WINNER is...

Oh, just first, I should mention that the decision process turned out trickier than expected. In fact, I pulled in assistance from two friends who work in marketing AND even my fiancee (M.D.) whom I bombarded with a zillion questions such as "Which ones catch your eye the most?", "If this appeared on your work place, what would the others think when reading this?", "Which posters would work better on a board in a stressed and messy environment - and which ones for a calmer place?", "What would non-tech people think?", etc. There was particular talk about what creates a "desire" to go to the webpage.

Well, there was quite a heated debate but in the end there was a next to unanimous decision. Can you guess? Well the WINNER is:

Oh, just first, we should have a rundown of all the contributions for everyones enjoyment and for reference.

Here are the final versions of the variants people included. In reviewing them we looked at earlier versions also (for instance WiMs many touch ups) but there was an agreement the latest was the best anyway so this did not affect things. So, here I only include the final versions of the contributed variants:

In ARBITRARY, i.e no particular, order:

WiMs TW Concept (remade into jpg for display here):

Stephens Ordination:

World of Stephen:

Duartes Node Tree:

Duartes Fish:

Duartes Diamond:

...and a bonus by Mr. Stickleback himself - AlexHough going ascii (thanx Alex!!!)