TiddlyWIki on Fission, new saver & host - live video chat tomorrow

Boris Mann

Feb 17, 2021, 2:55:31 PM2/17/21
to TiddlyWiki

Hi everyone!

I wanted to introduce myself. I’m the founder of Fission, which is an app publishing platform that is open source and “serverless”, where we make everything work in the browser. I’ve also used and tinkered with TiddlyWiki for many years.

I’m working with Jeremy to add support for our webnative SDK to TiddlyWiki, so that people can use it as a saver that should work anywhere that you have access to a browser, including on mobile.

We also want to talk to anyone that wants to host / run customized TiddlyWikis or Editions. Our goal with Fission is to empower digital creators to run their own apps, including selling them to people, without having to build an entire SaaS platform.

The TiddlyWiki forum on the Fission Discourse is where we’re going to be discussing features and functions, plus I’ll be here in the Google Group as well.

I’d like to invite you all to come to a live video chat tomorrow, Feb 18th, at 9am PST / 12pm EST / 1800 CET. You can sign up here to attend Fission Demo Day Feb 2021 - Zoom

P.S. If you stop by the forum, say hello to Flag Cat, the first mascot for TiddlyWiki + Fission.

Jeremy Ruston

Feb 17, 2021, 3:57:10 PM2/17/21
to TiddlyWiki Group
My thanks to Boris for the chance to work together on this project. It combines many areas interest for me, and I hope the results will be valuable for the community as a whole.

Boris is much better at explaining Fission than me, but from 1,000 feet it’s a user friendly Dropbox-like service for storing files in the cloud, with the twist that it is based on the IPFS protocol, a fascinating way to use the techniques behind earlier tools like BitTorrent to build a distributed cloud filing system. IPFS is quite mature but its adoption has been slowed by the need to use a special browser, and unavailability on mobile. Fission adds a front-end to IPFS to make it much easier to use, and allowing ordinary browsers to participate, while retaining advantages of IPFS.

Fission really comes into its own with their application marketplace. There’s a catalogue of apps that users can choose to authorise, and then the apps work like ordinary web apps but they have access to a sandbox within the users filing system.

The first part of this project it to be able to use Fission as a host for working with TiddlyWikis, saving changes directly back to the Fission filing system. The deeper motivation is to enable TiddlyWiki developers to deploy their own TiddlyWiki on Fission apps as a simple way to publish them and make them available to users without the usual download and configuration.

The TiddlyWiki on Fission app is actually itself a TiddlyWiki with extended capabilities to interact with the Fission filing system. We're using these capabilities to present a TiddlyDesktop-like user interface for configuring the wikis to be edited. Anybody will be able to use the same capabilities to build a new class of TiddlyWiki-based apps that can interact directly with user data.

The technicalities of the saver for this project are quite interesting. Most importantly, it’s not at all Fission specific, but a new generic component that will be useful for other new saving mechanisms. The editor part of the Fission app uses an <iframe> element to host the TiddlyWiki document. The core includes a new saver which uses window.parent.postMessage() to send data to be saved out of the iframe to the Fission app which then saves the data to the filing system.

I hope some TiddlyWiki people will be able to join the call tomorrow to see a demo and discus things further.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Joshua Fontany

Feb 17, 2021, 6:33:36 PM2/17/21
to TiddlyWiki
This looks like a really interesting project! I'll try to catch the stream tomorrow Mahalo (thanks)!

Best,
Joshua Fontany

Finn Lancaster

Feb 17, 2021, 8:16:21 PM2/17/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
   Fission, both by itself, as well as in tandem with TiddlyWiki, looks to be a great hosting solution for web apps. The overall solutions, programmatically and idea-wise, are very well documented on GitHub, and seem to work very well.

   Although I do not use TiddlyWiki on a collaborative scale anymore, as I used to, I still am constantly amazed by its functionality and speed, and I have employed many of its ideas in web projects I am designing.

   All-in-all, Fission looks to be a great project, as well as everything tiddlyspot used to be for TiddlyWiki (and more!). I am very excited to see how it grows and evolves in the future; I can see such great uses for this amazing product.

   I will most definitely be attending the online meeting tomorrow, and will probably look further into the GitHub to contribute if possible.

Regards,
     Finn Lancaster

TiddlyTweeter

Feb 18, 2021, 7:26:09 AM2/18/21
to TiddlyWiki
bo...@fission.codes wrote...
... The TiddlyWiki forum on the Fission Discourse is where we’re going to be discussing features and functions, plus I’ll be here in the Google Group as well.

My thanks to Boris for the chance to work together on this project. It combines many areas interest for me, and I hope the results will be valuable for the community as a whole.

 I'm no programmer but the aim of Fission looks cool!

I did want to comment that the video interview by @fission with Jeremy Ruston at https://vimeo.com/479941422 is the best, informative overview of the how and what of TiddlyWiki I have seen.
It also shows how software development and a life-story intermix in a very productive way.

A comment
TT

Joshua Fontany

Feb 20, 2021, 7:01:49 PM2/20/21
to TiddlyWiki
This is really cool, really exciting technology. Great zoom talk. I see that Jeremy is working on a "saver" for the Fission "back-end", and this will allow saving & persisting single-file wikis. Can't wait to see the repo. :)

Best,
Joshua F