Markdown plugin doesn't work

Anne-Laure Le Cunff

Apr 21, 2020, 6:08:52 PM4/21/20
to TiddlyWiki

Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 11.07.50 PM.png

I installed the markdown plugin but it's not parsing markdown. Sorry for the lack of details but I just don't know where to begin to look. I've attached a screenshot. Thank you!

Mark S.

Apr 21, 2020, 6:11:41 PM4/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Did you save and reload?

After that, did you use the markdown icon over on the sidebar at the top to make your tiddler?

Or, alternately, set the type to markdown-x (I think that's the name) in the type field at the bottom of the tiddler editor?

Good luck!

Anne-Laure Le Cunff

Apr 21, 2020, 6:19:41 PM4/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, Mark! I saved and reloaded, but didn't realise I had to create the new tiddlers with the markdown icon or set the type to markdown-x, thank you!

Now the markdown works but for some reason [[*]] doesn't work anymore. Is that working as intended?

Attaching another screenshot. Thank you!
Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 11.19.10 PM.png

Mark S.

Apr 21, 2020, 6:33:41 PM4/21/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 3:19:41 PM UTC-7, Anne-Laure Le Cunff wrote:
Now the markdown works but for some reason [[*]] doesn't work anymore. Is that working as intended?

I've got some good news and some bad news and some medium news.

You got on board TW at the right time. A month ago markdown on TW didn't acknowledge or use any wikitext (the mark up language used by TW).

Today, with 5.1.22, tiddlers using markdown can use wikitext UNLESS it's markup style conflicts with that of markdown's. Also, it's rendered on a line-by-line basis.

The bad news is that [[*]] conflicts with markdown (or at least that's how I understand it).

The medium news is that widgets don't conflict, so you can use instead:

<$link>My Tiddler</$link>

You can also use traditional HTML markup like this:

HTH

Anne-Laure Le Cunff

Apr 21, 2020, 7:31:10 PM4/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks so much, Mark! Not going to use it for now then, my muscle memory of [[*]] is too strong :) Going to gave to get used to html anchor tags for external links. Thank you for clarifying!

ludwa6

Apr 26, 2020, 12:51:25 AM4/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hey Mark:  Good to hear! am glad to have jumped on board since 5.1.22 (just yesterday in fact :-), in light of what you've written, because -while i appreciate the Wiki Text syntax for writings that will remain inside TiddlyWiki- i really need Markdown in those tiddlers i intend to export out of the TW environment.  Am having some trouble with this though, as my experience thus far is not consistent with yours on a few points -to wit:

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 11:33:41 PM UTC+1, Mark S. wrote:
You got on board TW at the right time. A month ago markdown on TW didn't acknowledge or use any wikitext (the mark up language used by TW).

Today, with 5.1.22, tiddlers using markdown can use wikitext UNLESS it's markup style conflicts with that of markdown's. Also, it's rendered on a line-by-line basis.

The bad news is that [[*]] conflicts with markdown (or at least that's how I understand it).

Meaning that: enclosing a string in double square brackets has some meaning in Markdown?  I've tried it in several Markdown editing tools, and am not seeing how strings so marked-down appear any different in the rendering.

The medium news is that widgets don't conflict, so you can use instead:

<$link>My Tiddler</$link>

Interesting:  This markup renders enclosed string as something that looks like a link (i.e. font color blue, underlined on rollover, in the default them), but does not go anywhere on mouseclick.

You can also use traditional HTML markup like this:

Even MORE interesting:  this one works on mouseclick to open the tiddler whose name is inside the tags, but it also throws this error message:

Internal JavaScript Error

Well, this is embarrassing. It is recommended that you restart TiddlyWiki by refreshing your browser

So i refreshed (TiddlyDesktop version 0.0.13 (13) for Mac), clicked the link... And it opened the file of this TiddlyWiki instance in my web browser, instead of desktop -and that to the default view, not to the tiddler whose name i clicked.

Can't understand this behavior well enough to manage it... So i'll have to avoid using internal links in tiddlers of the text/x-markdown datatype, until i get this figured out.  Meanwhile: any additional light you might shed on how this all works would be much appreciated!

so i have

so

ludwa6

Apr 26, 2020, 12:59:58 AM4/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hey Anne-Laure:  You needn't get used to html anchor tags for external links; in Markdown, the syntax for external links is:

inline link to [the canonical TiddlyWiki site](https://tiddlywiki.com/), for example

This is both easy to read and reasonably intuitive to write -one reason why i am so grateful that Markdown has become the defacto standard for people who write for the web these days.

On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 12:31:10 AM UTC+1, Anne-Laure Le Cunff wrote:
Thanks so much, Mark! Not going to use it for now then, my muscle memory of [[*]] is too strong :) Going to gave to get used to html anchor tags for external links. Thank you for clarifying!

Anne-Laure Le Cunff

Apr 26, 2020, 6:55:20 AM4/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks! I'm familiar with markdown syntax including links, but the markdown link syntax is conflicting with the wikitext syntax as discussed earlier. Not using markdown for now with TW as most of my links are internal anyway.

Mark S.

Apr 26, 2020, 8:58:26 AM4/26/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Saturday, April 25, 2020 at 9:51:25 PM UTC-7, ludwa6 wrote:
Hey Mark:  Good to hear! am glad to have jumped on board since 5.1.22 (just yesterday in fact :-),

<$link>My Tiddler</$link>

Interesting:  This markup renders enclosed string as something that looks like a link (i.e. font color blue, underlined on rollover, in the default them), but does not go anywhere on mouseclick.

My testing was too brief. I should have said

<$link to="#My Tiddler">My Tiddler</$link>

Since the new markdown plugin uses macro notation, you could make a global macro (tag a normal tiddler with $:/tags/Macro) like this:

\define mylink(link) <$link to="$link$">$link$</$link>

and then invoke in your markdown tiddler like this

<<mylink "My Tiddler">>

You can also use traditional HTML markup like this:

Even MORE interesting:  this one works on mouseclick to open the tiddler whose name is inside the tags, but it also throws this error message:

Internal JavaScript Error

Well, this is embarrassing. It is recommended that you restart TiddlyWiki by refreshing your browser

It seems to work fine when I test in a browser. I wonder if there is something else going on in your TW file? Also, we did have someone on a Mac a week ago who needed to reinstall TiddlyDesktop to eliminate similar errors. I wonder if there is something going on with TD installation?

so i have

so

ludwa6

Apr 26, 2020, 9:14:57 AM4/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
i see;  this is indeed a vexing problem. For my part, i will keep the Markdown plugin installed for those cases where the tiddler is written for export purposes -in which case, internal links could be problematic in context of export- so this plugin is still has its UseCase for me.

But i still don't see as how the [[*]] notation conflicts with Markdown; try it in any Markdown editor, and it looks to me like the notation is not transformed in the rendering.  This [alternative notation]{#InternalLink) does work; just looks kinda weird in a foreign context like this, doesn't it?

Anne-Laure Le Cunff

Apr 26, 2020, 9:24:36 AM4/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, other apps I use don't seem to have this issue. My muscle memory of [[*]] is too strong to make the effort to use another style :)
Message has been deleted

ludwa6

Apr 26, 2020, 9:46:05 AM4/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, Mark -but, having just discovered the documentation inside the plugin itself, which recommends [this notation](#InternalLink), i guess that will serve my edge-case of internal links within a Markdown-formatted tiddler -which i will use only in authoring for export as a general rule.

Moreover, given that there is no way to structure an internal link that, when tiddler is exported to another context, will bring the outside reader to online version of this document on that specific tiddler -am i right?  In my trials thus far (just 2 days of experience so far :-), i can only bring a reader from the web to default view of my TiddlyWiki instance -not any specific content item within it.  If this indeed be a systemic constraint, that does have serious implications for sharing of TiddlyWiki content to the WWW!
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Vaughn Papenhausen

Apr 29, 2020, 2:43:18 PM4/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Yep, I've been looking for ways to get both but haven't found anything yet. :(
Message has been deleted

Saq Imtiaz

Apr 29, 2020, 8:02:42 PM4/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Note that I think the official TiddlyWiki markdown plugin is the way to go, which you can install through Settings -> Plugins.

If you find that it isn't recognizing wikilinks in the [[title]] format, edit the following shadow tiddler:
$:/config/markdown/renderWikiTextPragma

and replace the text with:

\rules only html image macrocallinline syslink transcludeinline wikilink filteredtranscludeblock macrocallblock transcludeblock prettylink

This is a list of rules as to what wikisyntax should be parsed from markdown tiddlers after the markdown parser has gone through it. Note the last one, prettylink. That is what you want and is not enabled by default.

Regards,
Saq

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 3:57:04 PM UTC+2, Anne-Laure Le Cunff wrote:
Amazing, thank you so much!

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 2:55:33 PM UTC+1, Saq Imtiaz wrote:
If you want the comptext plugin (which is what TiddlyBlink uses) to support autocompletion of [[title]] format links in markdown tiddlers:
  • Create a tiddler with the title
    $:/config/EditorTypeMappings/text/x-markdown

  • Where the text of the tiddler is
    comptext

Under the hood what is happening here is that we are telling TiddlyWiki to use the comptext editor to edit markdown tiddlers.

The comptext plugin replaces the standard editor with its own editor. Note also that the comptext plugin could be tweaked to support native markdown link syntax as well, you will just need to brush up on regexp and tweak the template json at the top of the
 $:/plugins/snowgoon88/edit-comptext/completion.js tiddler

Hope this helps,
Saq

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 9:38:14 AM UTC+2, Anne-Laure Le Cunff wrote:
This is unfortunately incompatible with the autocomplete feature of TiddlyBlink, so I had to disable it :(

On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 3:08:00 PM UTC+1, Anne-Laure Le Cunff wrote:
Wow, thanks so much, Vaughn!

On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 2:56:56 PM UTC+1, ludwa6 wrote:
Brilliant!  Just installed, this appears to be working like a champ, even with internal links.  Thanks, Vaughn!

On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 2:43:31 PM UTC+1, Vaughn Papenhausen wrote:
So I found this alternate markdown plugin, which does appear to support wikilinks: http://demo.santosa.family/#tw5-markdown

Peter Buyze

Apr 30, 2020, 6:36:43 AM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
Saq,

many thanks for this. Does that mean that all of markdown syntax can be used in TW or are there still exceptions?

Before making this amendment to the shadow tiddler I had decided that it wasn't worth trying to insist on markdown because sooner or later I would come across situations that Md is not parsed.

30 Apr 2020, 03:02 by saq.i...@gmail.com:

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 30, 2020, 7:13:34 AM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tony

On 30 Apr 2020, at 11:36, 'Peter Buyze' via TiddlyWiki <tiddl...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

many thanks for this. Does that mean that all of markdown syntax can be used in TW or are there still exceptions?

Before making this amendment to the shadow tiddler I had decided that it wasn't worth trying to insist on markdown because sooner or later I would come across situations that Md is not parsed.

I think you’ll eventually need to use native TW5 wikitext if you’re trying to make anything dynamic, or to customise the system.

My own personal writing is almost all in TW5 wikitext but you’d be hard pressed to tell because I use  little in the way of formatting beyond code blocks and lists. I do use Markdown whenever I’m preparing a piece of writing that’s going to be published elsewhere (e.g. when I’m drafting GitHub tickets or PRs).

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Peter Buyze

Apr 30, 2020, 7:39:22 AM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
Thanks for that Jeremy, you confirmed my decision not to use Md was right. After all, WikiText and Md are not hugely different so the former is not difficult to get used to.
I'll now uninstall the Md plug-in.

Thanks again.
Peter

30 Apr 2020, 14:13 by jeremy...@gmail.com: