TiddlyWiki Community Call and File Uploads Plugin

Saq Imtiaz

Jul 22, 2021, 3:33:18 PM7/22/21
to TiddlyWiki

We will be having a TiddlyWiki Community call with Jeremy, Boris and myself on August 17th at 6pm CET: TiddlyWiki Community: Core Savers & Syncers, Upload Plugin, & Community Forum - Zoom

I hope some of you will be able to join us for what I think will be a very interesting discussion. Please register for the event at the link above.

The call will include:

  • a progress update on my work on the Uploads plugin funded by Open Collective
  • a summary of some rather exciting and promising avenues for core development in the areas of Savers and Syncers that has come out of discussions around the Uploads plugin
  • an update on the Open Collective model for funding TiddlyWiki work and what we have learned from it thus far
  • some news from Jeremy and Boris regarding improvements to TiddlyWiki community infrastructure.

I have been slowly working away on the TiddlyWiki file uploads plugin as was previously announced. The majority of the work thus far has consisted of brainstorming around the architecture and some very involved but promising and productive discussions with Jeremy around how such a plugin would integrate with the core, and the direction that the core might take in the future with regards to saving and syncing mechanisms.

In particular we have identified some exciting opportunities to explore in due course for a rethinking of the saver and syncer mechanisms that may amongst other things eventually make file uploads a core TiddlyWiki ability alongside saving and syncing and static file publishing.

This has necessitated a change in approach to the File Uploads plugin so as to not introduce changes to the TiddlyWiki core at this time which may clash with the long term direction of development, and still make the Uploads plugin available in a timely manner for those that need this functionality today. I currently have a minimal working prototype that uploads images imported into TiddlyWiki to Fission, though with no UI or error handling as of yet and desperately in need of some heavy refactoring to better be able to support different storage back ends. I hope to present a demo of an early version of the plugin on the call.

I would like to take the opportunity here to thank Boris and Fission. Despite Boris having chipped in for the vast majority of the funding for this plugin as it is something he needs in his own TiddlyWiki usage, not only has he been patient and supportive as we focus on long term core planning first, but Fission has actively been facilitating those discussions.

Regards,
Saq

Soren Bjornstad

Jul 22, 2021, 4:18:45 PM7/22/21
to TiddlyWiki
Saq,

To clarify for those of us who are not as familiar with European time zones, is this UTC+2 because it is summer?

Saq Imtiaz

Jul 22, 2021, 4:28:41 PM7/22/21
to TiddlyWiki
Apologies Soren, I should have specified in UTC as well. CET is indeed UTC+2.

So the community call is at August 17th at 16:00 UTC

You can see your corresponding local time here.

Saq Imtiaz

Jul 22, 2021, 4:30:31 PM7/22/21
to TiddlyWiki

Mohammad Rahmani

Jul 23, 2021, 4:38:34 AM7/23/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for sharing Saq!
 I will attend and I am sure we can learn from this event!

Best wishes
Mohammad

Boris Mann

Jul 23, 2021, 2:02:41 PM7/23/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the kind words, Saq. It's been great working with you and Jeremy and I'm happy to support you and the community.

I'd really like some open discussion around how the TiddlyWiki community can use and rally around Open Collective. I'm personally _very_ inspired by the organization and the promise it has over time -- and where it is at today. Their recent blog post is a very good read https://blog.opencollective.com/solidarity-as-our-guiding-principle/. I'll quote part of the post:

Technology Owned by the People
Open Collective is part of a movement for start-ups and tech platforms become to become owned by their users and stakeholders, called “exit to community” or E2C. Learn more about this community interested in community control and governance here. We don’t know exactly what the future holds, but OCF, grounded in perspectives of solidarity, will be a key influence on the future of the Open Collective platform as a commons.

In short, I've been working with open source software and communities for 2 decades now. I'm more convinced than ever that we can "Build Software Together" and that Open Collective is a tool that can be used by communities to pool funds towards common goals.

This experiment with the file uploads plugin has lead directly to having Saq spend time working on a more solid foundation for core TW architecture. Can we continue this? Can we get more small and large projects and people funded through OC?

TW Tones

Jul 23, 2021, 9:28:12 PM7/23/21
to TiddlyWiki
Given
Converted Time Sydney, NSW, Australia
2:00 am AEST
Wednesday, 18 August 2021

I am not sure I will make it, perhaps in a follow-up one. If possible if you can publish a recording after it would be appreciated.

This subject means a lot to me. If I may share these points in advance for consideration.

  • The provision of serial editing (one use after the other) through check in and check out mechanisms, for all saver mechanism's.  This would be the quickest route to supporting multi-users/teams on tiddlywiki
  • It is quite easy to change the filename of a saved tiddlywiki, say on php and tw-reciever. it seems to be the save technology can already save files to hosts. It seems to be we need to open this up to trusted users with the appropriate credentials so for example
    • A single file tiddlywiki could save the changes made by one user only, in an independent file (delta backup). Then either the
      • owner can import all user contributions and apply them to the master copy,
      • or users can recover their current state by loading their own file of changes (delta backup) from the host ).
      • or both
      • Contention and overwrites can be handled by the wiki designer or interactively.
    • Designers could write information or logs to the host file system from the tiddlywiki, acknowledging all permitted users have file update rights. This would allow survey answers, to be saved, comments etc...
Regards
Tones

Boris Mann

Jul 24, 2021, 12:36:52 PM7/24/21
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, it's hard to fit Europe, west coast North American, and Australian timezones in one slot -- sorry about that!

Yes, the session will be recorded.

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 14, 2021, 9:10:56 AM8/14/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Just to add that an additional topic we intend to discuss is the start of a plan to migrate from Google Groups. We’ll give more details then,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Finn Lancaster

Aug 15, 2021, 8:42:22 AM8/15/21
to TiddlyWiki
Sounds great! I'll try my best to be there, although I have school at that time. Looking forward to seeing what @Saq, Jeremy, and everyone else have to say. Particularly related to the migration from GoogleGroups!

Saq Imtiaz

Aug 18, 2021, 12:16:10 AM8/18/21
to TiddlyWiki
A video from the community call as well as slides are now available at the new community forum:

You will also find a thread there in the Plugins section for feedback on the beta release of the FileUploads plugin.

TW Tones

Aug 18, 2021, 8:40:58 AM8/18/21
to TiddlyWiki
Folks,

I watched the video which was too late at night for me to attend. You all have my support and I am ready to contribute. You are all going in the direction I have wanted for some time so you have a happy chappy here.

I was not able to receive a confirmation email or sign up to talk tiddlywiki, but will try again in 12 hours.

I am very happy with the choice of discourse for a range or reasons

Regards
Tones