[tw5] accessibility and keyboard issues/feature requests

simon.ei...@vol.at

Oct 29, 2014, 3:34:23 AM10/29/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy and all,

Since i use tw5 a little bit more frequently i figured out some small
accessibility issues.
I guess the most of those can be solved pretty quickly and often are
just unlabeled buttons.
all things are tested with a build from the git repo.

* the info, edit and close buttons seem to be in the h2 tag of the
tiddler title. Might be good if we could have just the tiddler title
itself between the h2 tags because screenreaders would just read the
first button or will read the 3 buttons first and then the title so
that might be easier to navigate through open tiddlers.
* new tiddler: tag field: there are 2 buttons there. an add button and
another button which is unlabeled. Would be great if this could be
labeled.
* new tiddler: type field: 2 buttons which are unlabeled
* new tiddler: add a field field: when added a field then you can
enter its value. next to that appears an unlabeled button

and now a accessibility unrelated request though its nice to have:
* to be able to enter multiple tags at once. maybe separated with a
comma.
that might make keyboard users very happy i guess. *smile*

and maybe another accessibility unrelated feature though it would be
nice for people who don't use a mouse:
* importer: to be able to filter the importable stuff in maybe the
following categories: all, languages, plugins, themes, content etc. so
that might make it easier to deal with the many tiddlers which can be
imported. maybe in the style of the control panel with those buttons
where you can select which section you might to view or a dropdown
list might be also interesting. what ever fits best into the design.
* a select/deselect all checkbox in the table of the importer to
quickly deselect or select all items currently listed in the table.
the table header currently contains the word select. i would replace
it with a checkbox which toggles all checkboxes.
i saw that aproach on many web apps/webmail clients.

So i guess i have found everything right now.

greetings,
simon

Danielo Rodríguez

Oct 29, 2014, 5:08:03 AM10/29/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

and now a accessibility unrelated request though its nice to have:
* to be able to enter multiple tags at once. maybe separated with a
comma.
that might make keyboard users very happy i guess. *smile*

Nice Idea

and maybe another accessibility unrelated feature though it would be
nice for people who don't use a mouse:
* importer: to be able to filter the importable stuff in maybe the
following categories: all, languages, plugins, themes, content etc. so
that might make it easier to deal with the many tiddlers which can be
imported. maybe in the style of the control panel with those buttons
where you can select which section you might to view or a dropdown
list might be also interesting. what ever fits best into the design.

Very good point. Having all the tiddlers under the same list is a little bit confusing.

* a select/deselect all checkbox in the table of the importer to
quickly deselect or select all items currently listed in the table.
the table header currently contains the word select. i would replace
it with a checkbox which toggles all checkboxes.
i saw that aproach on many web apps/webmail clients.

I developed a plugin that allows you to uncheck all ALREADY EXISTING tiddlers when importing. I can easily extend it to add another button to uncheck all. check it at braintest. Since you are familiar with git you can also check it out at https://github.com/danielo515/import-tools. Sadly it is currently only available for version 5.0.15 and older. If you find it useful I can try to update it this weekend.

simon.ei...@vol.at

Oct 29, 2014, 5:31:09 AM10/29/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
hi danielo,

sounds interesting.
but try to import the plugin without the mouse?
then we are back at the requests. try to uncheck all the boxes with
the keyboard.
might be interesting to add a useful solution to the core which makes
it more accessible.

greetings,
simon
> <http://braintest.tiddlyspot.com/#:%5B%5BImport-tools%20plugin%5D%5D>.
> Since you are familiar with git you can also check it out
> at https://github.com/danielo515/import-tools. Sadly it is currently
>only
> available for version 5.0.15 and older. If you find it useful I can
>try to
> update it this weekend.
>
> --

Simon Eigeldinger
simon.ei...@vol.at

Danielo Rodríguez

Oct 29, 2014, 7:08:51 AM10/29/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

El miércoles, 29 de octubre de 2014 10:31:09 UTC+1, simon.ei...@vol.at escribió:
hi danielo,

sounds interesting.
but try to import the plugin without the mouse?
That's why I pointed you to github. I have plans to upload a tid file there so you can download it and import it using the import button of TW

simon.ei...@vol.at

Oct 29, 2014, 7:53:52 AM10/29/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
hi,

ah ok that should do it.

greetings,
simon

simon.ei...@vol.at

Oct 29, 2014, 9:08:12 AM10/29/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
hi,

unfortunately i haven't got a 5.0.x version lying around.
maybe you could send me one privately with the plugin installed?
so we can see if this works?

greetings,
simon

Jeremy Ruston

Nov 7, 2014, 4:23:25 PM11/7/14
to TiddlyWiki, Simon Eigeldinger
Hi Simon

My apologies for the slow response.

I guess the most of those can be solved pretty quickly and often are just unlabeled buttons.

Thanks that's great, the four things you mentioned should all be fixed here:

I've uploaded a preview for testing here:

* to be able to enter multiple tags at once. maybe separated with a comma.
that might make keyboard users very happy i guess. *smile*

I'm increasingly thinking that the best edit interface for intensive keyboard users is to present the tiddler and fields together in a single textarea, formatted like a .tid file:

One great advantage is that then it becomes possible to copy and paste multiple fields at once, as well as more flexible manipulation of tags

* importer: to be able to filter the importable stuff in maybe the following categories: all, languages, plugins, themes, content etc. so that might make it easier to deal with the many tiddlers which can be imported. maybe in the style of the control panel with those buttons where you can select which section you might to view or a dropdown list might be also interesting. what ever fits best into the design.
* a select/deselect all checkbox in the table of the importer to quickly deselect or select all items currently listed in the table. the table header currently contains the word select. i would replace it with a checkbox which toggles all checkboxes.
i saw that aproach on many web apps/webmail clients.

Both of these are enhancements I'd hoping to make to the import/upgrade wizard.

Best wishes

Jeremy

So i guess i have found everything right now.

greetings,
simon

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Simon Eigeldinger

Nov 12, 2014, 2:53:32 PM11/12/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi jeremy,

the current changes are nice.
i have a hourly rebuilt html file from the current github repo over here:
http://domasofan.spdns.eu/tw5/tw5.html

You wrote:

>> * to be able to enter multiple tags at once. maybe separated with a comma.
>> that might make keyboard users very happy i guess. *smile*
>>

> I'm increasingly thinking that the best edit interface for intensive
> keyboard users is to present the tiddler and fields together in a single
> textarea, formatted like a .tid file:
>
> https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/core%2Facknowledgements.tid
>
> One great advantage is that then it becomes possible to copy and paste
> multiple fields at once, as well as more flexible manipulation of tags

Hm. I guess we have to discuss that with the other keyboard users/
normal users as well.
maybe soemthing like a show source code button or something which you
can then edit and click the button again to hide the source code and
things would be like in the current interface.

>> * importer: to be able to filter the importable stuff in maybe the
>> following categories: all, languages, plugins, themes, content etc. so that
>> might make it easier to deal with the many tiddlers which can be imported.
>> maybe in the style of the control panel with those buttons where you can
>> select which section you might to view or a dropdown list might be also
>> interesting. what ever fits best into the design.
>>
> * a select/deselect all checkbox in the table of the importer to quickly
>> deselect or select all items currently listed in the table. the table
>> header currently contains the word select. i would replace it with a
>> checkbox which toggles all checkboxes.
>> i saw that aproach on many web apps/webmail clients.
>>

> Both of these are enhancements I'd hoping to make to the import/upgrade
> wizard.

Sounds great.
I guess tw will get easier and better to use for blind and visually
impaired people as well.

something you might never have thought? *smile*

greetings,
simon

---