Is there any way to extend how the editor works?

Scott Kingery

Nov 4, 2019, 7:46:07 PM11/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
I'm building a wiki for note-taking. Yes, another one :)

When I take notes, I tend to start my lines with * for bullet points
* Like this
** and a subpoint like this

Is there any plugin to add to my efficiency by auto-creating the * when I hit the enter key for a new line?
* typing along and hit enter
* <--and that gets auto created so I can keep taking notes in outline form

  • some editors do this
  • even the editor for GG seems to do it
  • like this
    • and this
    • and this

A Gloom

Nov 4, 2019, 10:44:42 PM11/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
** and a subpoint like this

how do those editors know to make a subpoint? a key combo with the enter key?

possibly assign wikitext * or # to a custom defiened keyboard shortcut?

PMario

Nov 5, 2019, 4:04:22 AM11/5/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Scott,

I'd do the following:

 - Open ControlPanel: Keyboard Shortcut - tab
 - Select "list-bullet" configuration
 - edit
 - add ctrl-Enter

Now your workflow can be:

Enter some text ctrl-Enter ... will add and remove the bullet point. Enter ... will start a new line.

or

ctrl-Enter type some new text.

I did test it and I think it's an incredible fast workflow. ... at least for me ;)

have fun!
mario

TonyM

Nov 5, 2019, 6:23:59 AM11/5/19
to TiddlyWiki
I use auto hotkey for similar actions. I have used the number pad enter key to do a down arrow and home to move to the beginning of the next line.

You could do what you want. "Home, * end of line enter"

regards tony.

Mark S.

Nov 5, 2019, 10:09:40 AM11/5/19
to TiddlyWiki
But isn't ctl-enter already used for closing the current tiddler? Or am I the only one that finds that useful?

A Gloom

Nov 5, 2019, 10:28:07 PM11/5/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 10:09:40 AM UTC-5, Mark S. wrote:
But isn't ctl-enter already used for closing the current tiddler? Or am I the only one that finds that useful?

 I use the default cntrl enter for closing a tiddler in edit mode– very handy along with esc

PMario

Nov 5, 2019, 10:56:35 PM11/5/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 4:09:40 PM UTC+1, Mark S. wrote:
But isn't ctl-enter already used for closing the current tiddler? Or am I the only one that finds that useful?

You are right. ... I don't use ctrl-Enter to save. I even find it inconvenient. ... But that doesn't matter.

I wanted to point out, that there is a simple way to create a fast workflow.

The other possibility would be to create a complete new shortcut, that does a "insert linebreak and start with *<space>". But there is an insert * shortcut already. ... So why create a new one.

-mario

A Gloom

Nov 6, 2019, 1:02:29 AM11/6/19
to TiddlyWiki
I wanted to point out, that there is a simple way to create a fast workflow.

The other possibility would be to create a complete new shortcut, that does a "insert linebreak and start with *<space>". But there is an insert * shortcut already. ... So why create a new one.

enter ctrl-shift-L (list bullet)
enter ctrl-shift-N (list numbered)

a keyboard shortcut combining the 2 would be handy

or just modify the list-bullet & list-numbered shortcuts to suit an user's needs?