(Early) Query: Could We Do "Rich Previews" ?

TiddlyTweeter

May 26, 2020, 10:03:18 AM5/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
One of the neatest things on big scale social media is "Rich Previews". This is a mechanism that interrogates a web address if you save an URL that extracts a quick overview ...

Telegram is really good at that...

Annotation 2020-05-26 154805.jpg

There are a number of ways it works.

A basic one is to add meta data (a "card") in the head section of your site that the zapper can read. But also a brute force method can sometimes work too.

Would it not be wonderful if we could reference TW sites this way?

But how?

Any thoughts?

TT

Jed Carty

May 26, 2020, 11:33:42 AM5/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Generally they use open graph to do this, somewhere around here I made a plugin that lets you add open graph data to a wiki. If I remember correctly it is just adding some tags to the head section of the html.

TiddlyTweeter

May 26, 2020, 12:08:16 PM5/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Jed

I looked Open Graph up.

I'll play around with meta entries suggested at https://ogp.me/ to start.

TT

Joshua Fontany

May 26, 2020, 7:21:28 PM5/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
This would be very useful for my Bookmarks collections. Definitely going on my todo list. Thanks guys.

TonyM

May 30, 2020, 6:42:06 AM5/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Have you folks seen the rich links plugin. It may answer or inspire you.

Tony

Joshua Fontany

May 30, 2020, 6:32:37 PM5/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
THANKS TONYM!

I have been trying to find this plugin in my massive browser-based bookmark collection, in order to build a TW bookmark manager to manage my massive bookmark collection. And I couldn't remember the name!

Honestly, that also inspired the View'Template experiments over in the Dev forum, which will work perfectly with this plugin.

Link: http://richlinks.tiddlyspot.com/

Mahalo (thanks), again!
Joshua Fontany

TonyM

May 30, 2020, 9:08:54 PM5/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Joshua

I think book marks are an Importiant use of tiddlywiki. Especialy on tiddlydesktop as html open the default browser but you can open local files, folders and even applications.

I will try and share my current method on return to my study office.

It includes finding tiddlers who's text field has the prefix http file etc and import process that generated bookmark tiddlers.

I plan to use shiraz to improve the look and want a way of acquiring images and icons because looking for book marks is supported visually.

Perhaps rich links previews could be thumb nails?

regards
Tony

Reet Pandher

Jun 1, 2020, 2:47:06 AM6/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi TonyM,

I'm unable to preview websites using the richlink plugin.. Only websites that seem to work are tiddlywiki.com , wikipedia and youtube video links..
Any tips?

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 1, 2020, 4:04:50 AM6/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao TonyM

I agree. RichLinks is a neat plugin that simplifies embeds enormously.

But the OP is about "Rich Previews".

1 - They are enabled in sites by adding meta data IN the head section of HTML for the big networks to detect. That is doable in TWs already.

2 - BUT what I was also trying to get at is whether, FROM TW, we can, via JS, probe sites that don't do (1) to approximate it.

Hope this is clearer!

TT