Announcing the release of TiddlyWiki v5.1.18

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 6, 2018, 4:37:48 AM12/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
I’m delighted (and relieved!) to announce the release of TiddlyWiki v5.1.18

https://tiddlywiki.com/

Thanks to an enormous effort by many contributors, this is a massive release:

* The web server functionality under Node.js is enhanced with the ability to serve static files, handle multiple user accounts, and a new read-only mode for users who don’t have editing rights. It can also now directly serve over HTTPS
* The restrictions on special characters in tiddler titles and tags have been substantially loosened
* A new filter operator “~” that allows conditional logic
* An enhanced search operator with multiple searching modes
* Support for a fixed top menu bar
* Refactored the sidebar and tiddler info panel to be extensible via new system tags
* An updated KaTeX plugin
* Splash screens!
* Fixed a long-standing problem with hiding missing links breaking key functionality
* Improvements to interactive functionality in external windows

There are too many features to mention here — please feel free to chime in with your own favourites!

You can upgrade your existing single file wikis at: https://tiddlywiki.com/upgrade.html

As usual, please exercise caution when working with an upgrade, and take care to take plenty of backups.

One change going forwards is that we plan to retain the ability to push updates to the documentation on tiddlywiki.com after the release of v5.1.18 — see this GitHub ticket for a technical discussion about the means: https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/3623

There are more contributors to this release than ever, and I’m immensely grateful to everybody who helped in any way.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

CHUN LI

Dec 6, 2018, 4:47:12 AM12/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks so much. I am excited just by reading the new features. Cannot wait to try!

Mohammad

Dec 6, 2018, 5:57:16 AM12/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy,
 Many thanks for all your efforts and thanks to all people involved in this amazing release. TW 5.1.18 is a real gift for the new coming year!

I hope super users, developers and TW experts can help to improve documentation and more important give us examples, tutorial of these amazing new features.

Best wishes
Mohammad

Mohammad

Dec 6, 2018, 11:54:31 AM12/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
A small suggestion,

 When you upgrade through https://tiddlywiki.com/upgrade.html

Still the upgraded wiki is saved as upgrade.html. I think as this is TW 5.1.18 the upgrade should keep the site-title.

Have a look please.

-Mohammad

Joshua Fontany

Dec 6, 2018, 2:14:04 PM12/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
Woo! Nicely done everyone. These new features look really great!

Thomas Elmiger

Dec 6, 2018, 2:19:20 PM12/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
Many, many thanks to Jeremy and the whole team behind this new release!!!

===

A small thing I just discovered when I tried to implement a splash screen following https://tiddlywiki.com/#Creating%20a%20splash%20screen in a new empty.html is that the text

stays visible at the bottom of my wiki after loading. It seems, that the surrounding div and also an additional <p>tag</p> I added for a second test are removed, but the text stays in the source.

The second example in the text/vnd.tiddlywiki type tiddler seems to work as expected.

===

All the best,
Thomas

bimlas

Dec 6, 2018, 3:50:17 PM12/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
I have noticed this issue, it seems that the first line have to be added.

\rules only filteredtranscludeinline transcludeinline

Captain Packers

Dec 6, 2018, 3:55:05 PM12/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
How do you set up multiple user accounts? Is it different for node vs. single html file? I'm using node.

Ste Wilson

Dec 6, 2018, 4:05:50 PM12/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
Yay! Thanks Jeremy and fellow giddy wizards (twizards).

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 6, 2018, 4:34:37 PM12/6/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas

A small thing I just discovered when I tried to implement a splash screen following https://tiddlywiki.com/#Creating%20a%20splash%20screen in a new empty.html is that the text

stays visible at the bottom of my wiki after loading. It seems, that the surrounding div and also an additional <p>tag</p> I added for a second test are removed, but the text stays in the source.

The second example in the text/vnd.tiddlywiki type tiddler seems to work as expected.

Can you post your splash screen tiddler here as a .tid file?

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 6, 2018, 4:36:26 PM12/6/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Captain

How do you set up multiple user accounts? Is it different for node vs. single html file? I'm using node.

The support for multiple user accounts is part of the web server functionality running under Node.js. With the single file configuration, there are no user accounts or authentication.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Thomas Elmiger

Dec 6, 2018, 4:56:34 PM12/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy and Bimlas

I attach my first try ..._first.tid and a new working solution ..._splash.tid – the \rules line suggested by Bimlas above seems to be the missing piece.
Problem solved for me, maybe you want to update the docs.

Thanks to both of you!
Thomas
$__splash_first.tid
$__splash.tid

Captain Packers

Dec 6, 2018, 5:25:10 PM12/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
I'm sorry to bother you with this again Jeremy, but can you give or point me to an example of what the service start command to support logins would look like?

Thanks

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 6, 2018, 5:28:43 PM12/6/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Captain

I'm sorry to bother you with this again Jeremy, but can you give or point me to an example of what the service start command to support logins would look like?

You’d do something like:

tiddlywiki mywiki —listen credentials=mycredentials.csv

If you’re not familiar with the listen command, see:

For an overview of the web server functionality, see:

Best wishes

Jeremy..

Mat

Dec 9, 2018, 6:05:47 PM12/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
Just a quick note to chime in on the thank you to Jeremy and everyone who has contributed!

BTW, sorry for my absence of late but hope to have more time by end of the year. Really looking forward to investigating the new version properly.

Cheers everyone

Mat a.k.a <:-)

Riz

Dec 9, 2018, 9:07:23 PM12/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
Congratulations. Good work.

Riz

HansWobbe

Dec 10, 2018, 9:44:51 AM12/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
Greatly appreciated!

Captain Packers

Dec 10, 2018, 10:09:05 AM12/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Jeremy. I think I can work with this.