Lego Kit: for MATHEMATICIANS? Thoughts?

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 3, 2019, 7:40:29 AM12/3/19
to TiddlyWiki
I been wondering about whether "Base Packages" of TW component assemblies are getting desirable.

For instance. Say you are a Mathematician.
What are the components that, together, would form a basic kit ("Lego Kit") to get you started well?

By "components" I mean ...

- TW Edition best suited (or basic empty)

- Plugins a mathematician needs +

- Macros that are ready for in-Tiddler Maths operations +

- Tweaks needed (& ready-applied).
   For instance, say, Maths orientated key shortcuts in editor ...

Etc ... You get the idea?

If you have thoughts on this I'd be very interested to hear them.

WHAT components would a Mathematician need?

The underlying idea is provision of packaged solutions better matched to end-user needs.

Best wishes
TT

Message has been deleted

Ste Wilson

Dec 3, 2019, 4:09:46 PM12/3/19
to TiddlyWiki

Ste Wilson

Dec 3, 2019, 4:29:06 PM12/3/19
to TiddlyWiki
I'd say katex, simple graphing library, spreadsheet like formulas would be a good place to start.

A Gloom

Dec 4, 2019, 12:57:38 AM12/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
Wonders how well TW would implement MathML

TonyM

Dec 4, 2019, 1:26:18 AM12/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
Have you googled MathML tiddlywiki?

A Gloom

Dec 4, 2019, 2:38:09 AM12/4/19
to TiddlyWiki

Have you googled MathML tiddlywiki?

Obviously not, something way down my list... just a pondering...

Jed Carty

Dec 4, 2019, 3:49:11 AM12/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
This is why I made the scatter plot and bar chart plugins, but we also need something like a function plotter. I haven't had time to look into that very much. https://ooktech.com/TiddlyWiki/ScatterPlot/
I have been doing a lot with d3 lately in my other work, I may be able to port some of that into tiddlywiki for more advanced plotting.

I would really like to make an interactive math textbook using tiddlywiki, but so far I haven't had time to do anything significant with it.

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 4, 2019, 5:59:47 AM12/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ste Wilson wrote:

I'd say katex, simple graphing library, spreadsheet like formulas would be a good place to start.

Thanks for comments & examples!

It seems pretty clear  a "rounded package" is getting quite close on needed components?

What I was thinking (from end-user point of view) was rather than have to "add"
all the parts needed you rather download a TW that is a  "package" of ready integrated components
(maybe with a custom "help" menu explaining the working of the components that the "publisher" would add).
Important, would be a section that would let you "subtract" (i.e. delete) components you won't need.

In other words, rather than having to build from scratch, you have a featured starting place.

Thoughts
TT

Eric Shulman

Dec 4, 2019, 7:36:38 AM12/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 2:59:47 AM UTC-8, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
What I was thinking (from end-user point of view) was rather than have to "add"
all the parts needed you rather download a TW that is a  "package" of ready integrated components
(maybe with a custom "help" menu explaining the working of the components that the "publisher" would add).
Important, would be a section that would let you "subtract" (i.e. delete) components you won't need.

In other words, rather than having to build from scratch, you have a featured starting place.

Back in the TWClassic days, I created a whole set of "QuickStart" documents that were pre-loaded and configured with selected subsets of TiddlyTools plugins.

Some of the QuickStart docs were:

* basics - a general-purpose starter set (including Navigation, Display, Editing, FileIO, Configuration, Formatting and more)

* silkTW - the Silk Icon Collection (1000 16x16 .png icons, encoded and stored as tiddlers using AttachFilePlugin)

* insideTW - a viewer for TWClassic core files, and internal functions, objects, and page elements

* importexport - ImportTiddlersPlugin, ExportTiddlersPlugin and AttachFilePlugin

* TiddlyBlog - a general blogging environment (Journals, Stories, FAQs and Bookmarks)

* TiddlyBard - a theatrical script reader with search and annotation functions (pre-loaded with 10 Shakespeare plays and ALL 153 Sonnets)

* Moveable - MoveablePanelPlugin: "free-range" tiddlers with room to roam..." (undock and drag to position all TW page elements on an infinite surface)

If I get some free time, I might just re-upload those files to the newly re-hosted www.TiddlyTools.com.  Of course, they are all based on older versions of TWClassic, but they might just spark some ideas for people to create new TW5-based "editions".

enjoy,
-e

-e

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 4, 2019, 10:52:28 AM12/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Eric

Totally agree. But your approach was a slightly different than what is now called an "Edition" in TW5?

TW5 "Editions" give you a starting place that is good, but they are not yet full "packages". They are bare bones.

I was just wondering about making "slightly fatter cats" --- i.e. essential plugin(s) PLUS some kind of explanation on component usage, a few macros, bit of styling etc.

Just thoughts
Josiah

Ste Wilson

Dec 4, 2019, 12:02:08 PM12/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
Here's the graphing plugin
https://gt6796c.github.io/

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 4, 2019, 12:36:15 PM12/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ste Wilson wrote:
Here's the graphing plugin
https://gt6796c.github.io/

Excellent. Who made that? Any idea?

I am always amazed at the sheer scope of stuff made for TW I had NO idea existed!

TT

Ste Wilson

Dec 4, 2019, 12:57:06 PM12/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
No clue. Quick gg search on mobile didn't turn anything up but their github page is here... There seems to be a drop box saver ;)
https://github.com/gt6796c

Ton Gerner

Dec 4, 2019, 1:06:24 PM12/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

Made by Nathaniel Jones according to the licences of his plugins.

Cheers,

Ton

Ste Wilson

Dec 4, 2019, 1:09:12 PM12/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ah! Well spotted!

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 4, 2019, 1:28:22 PM12/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Ton

Good to know

TT

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 4, 2019, 1:32:22 PM12/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
Steve

Ah! Good.

A used their Mermaid without realising the source.

At least it is a link!

Tx. TT

Ste Wilson wrote:
... their github page is here...
https://github.com/gt6796c

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 5, 2019, 8:50:07 AM12/5/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Gloom

Have you seen this plugin that outputs MathML?

TW5-TeXZilla plugin
TiddlyWiki5 plugin for parsing LaTeX into MathML, using the TeXZilla javascript parser.
Based on the official KaTeX plugin. In contrast to KaTeX, TeXZilla supports a larger set of LaTeX commands.

Released: 2015
Note: ??Chromium browsers don't yet fully support MathML??

TT

A Gloom

Dec 5, 2019, 8:15:07 PM12/5/19
to TiddlyWiki
hwllo TT

Have you seen this plugin that outputs MathML?

Haven't seen it-- MathML is kinda down some on my list of many things to try-- busy with x3d (vrml) atm-- many thanks for pointing it out, the info is now in a "to check out" tiddler in my testbed TW

tonight I may be ready to put up the first of many screenshots of what I've been up to-- although a navigatable 3d scene tiddler won't be one of them yet

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 6, 2019, 11:05:43 AM12/6/19
to TiddlyWiki
Are any mathematicians using Evan Balster's Formula plugin?

It has some amazing demos of what it enables ...

Screenshot_2019-12-06 Formulas for TiddlyWiki — spreadsheet-inspired number crunching.png

I'm wondering IF you use it.

TT

Diego Mesa

Dec 6, 2019, 1:03:15 PM12/6/19
to TiddlyWiki
I sure do! I recommended it to all fellow student/researchers that I recommend TW to.

Ste Wilson

Dec 6, 2019, 4:05:14 PM12/6/19
to TiddlyWiki
I've just discovered it and am just kind of spread sheeting it.

http://stephenteacher.tiddlyspot.com/#Simple%20Frame%20Calculator

Not done anything fancy with it.

A Gloom

Dec 6, 2019, 8:20:41 PM12/6/19
to TiddlyWiki
All of these tools being revealed here are amazing work -- and this thread is a good way to collect them and make them easy to find

Ste Wilson

Dec 7, 2019, 12:41:02 PM12/7/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mathcell by Steven kimmel, still of this parish, also deserves mention.

http://mathcell.tiddlyspot.com/

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 7, 2019, 2:53:25 PM12/7/19
to TiddlyWiki
Right. Its good the thread is accumulating!

Honorable mention of the RPN (Reverse Polish Notation) calculator system from Thomas Elmiger.

This is simple maths, not heavyweight, but very useful when you need a lightweight solution in context.

I have used it in a blog about the Dickensian period to convert farthings into florins etc.

TT