[TW5] Bob and BobEXE version 1.3.1, Splenda, bug fixes

Jed Carty

Oct 13, 2019, 6:24:42 PM10/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
In the grand tradition of Bob, there were some pretty bad bugs in 1.3.0, so here is 1.3.1.

A pretty nasty saving bug is fixed and the chat should actually work now.

The plugin version of Bob is on GitHub here: https://github.com/OokTech/TW5-Bob
The newest version of BobEXE is available here: https://github.com/OokTech/TW5-BobEXE/releases

If you want to support the development OokTech has a patreon page here https://www.patreon.com/OokTech
or if you prefer there is a link for PayPal here https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=ZG94CTLHTKYRE

The full changelog is here:

!! Version 1.3.1 Splenda

* Make the expandable wiki listing default to closed
* Fix a rather serious bug where changes on some wiki wouldn't be saved back to the server.
* Fixed local chat

Birthe C

Oct 13, 2019, 6:31:23 PM10/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Jed,

BobEXE where....latest release Tofurky.
The plugin version is splenda

Birthe

Jed Carty

Oct 13, 2019, 6:40:02 PM10/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Oh, thank you for pointing that out, I uploaded the executables to the wrong repo. I will fix it tomorrow. Until then theyare available here: https://github.com/OokTech/TW5-Bob/releases

@TiddlyTweeter

Oct 14, 2019, 6:05:50 AM10/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Jed

I'm asking here as I don't know where else to start.

I'd like to add a kind of "Fetch" mechanism to Bob for JSON files in a folder dedicated to them.
The idea would be to click a button like: "Install Basic Editor Mods." the JSON that holds a variety of items would be installed.
The contents to be auto-imported (and overwrite existing items of same name) on one-click.

Hope this is clear.

I'm finding, in practice, that JSON files that hold assembledges of plugins, Tiddlers, themes, mods the most useful for what I need.

A big advantage is that the JSON can be fully compatible with single file TW too.  So you can develop them both in Bob or in normal TW.

Any tips about how one would begin doing this?

Best wishes
TT

Stobot

Oct 14, 2019, 7:16:52 AM10/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Jed
  • Chat kind of works - meaning if two tabs go to the same place, they can put messages in and see them. For whatever reason though, the name always shows up as "Nameless Interloper"
    • I can tell the name I'm entering makes it as far as $:/temp/Bob/Federation/ChatMessage!!from but it just doesn't show in the <$chatview../> area with it.
    • I already have to collect username for my solution, so I'll duplicate that to be put in your name box for future use
  • Other tips from previous thread
    • Thanks for those, I'll use the duplicate option from now on.
  • Stability
    • So far so good with light testing. I'll check in later if I encounter anything different.
As always, appreciate the assistance - sent you some lunch money

h0p3

Oct 14, 2019, 12:00:17 PM10/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you, sir!

I've no idea how you are setting up chat or federation. It's not an easy problem. I'm sure you've tried dat out. You might also check out: git.2f30.org/ratox/file/README.html.

Ed

Oct 16, 2019, 7:42:16 AM10/16/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jed,

Love the work you're doing, and this quote:"The target audience of Bob consists of me,
and people without the technical backgroundto be able to use tiddlywiki conveniently."
targets me as I am one of those "people without the technical background"

Keep up the good work!!
Thanks again Jed.

Having said that and meaning it wholeheartedly, my lack of knowledge kicks in.

I have some wikis that I want to Bob-a-tize, so I go to "Create Wiki" and check the radio
button "an html file " But whatever I do, after browsing to html-file and giving it a name
and click "Make Wiki" all I get is a Bob-file, sometimes called NewWiki.

Have experimented with placing the file in different folder locations and adapting the name
to convention of writing it (There used to be "-" in it.)

Hope I explained it enough, as it was previous week this "struggle". 8-))

Please anybody or Jed of course, any help would be appreciated.
Salut! Edm.

Jed Carty

Oct 16, 2019, 3:11:51 PM10/16/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ed,

I ran into this exact problem today, I am looking into it. For now using that method to import an html file is broken, you should be able to make a new wiki using the empty edition and then drag and drop the other wiki into it and get the same result.
I should have this fixed in the next version.

Thank you for the feedback!

h0p3,

The local chat is just using the web socket messages the same as the rest of the communication between the browser and server, when it is only browsers connected to the one server it is just updating one tiddler in the browsers with the server mediating new entries to prevent simultaneous messages from overwriting each other.

For the more interesting federation part, I am using something not completely different than libtox, but my experiments with it made me think that it isn't a perfect fit so I made my own version using the dht-rpc module in node and some of the components that I made for the secure server. I am almost certainly going to have to rewrite the node module to make it production ready for Bob, so I may be a while before the 'open it and it works' version is ready. But so far it looks like it is going to be about as easy to use as anything else in Bob when it is working.