TiddlyWiki as Zettelkasten

Alex Hough

Dec 26, 2014, 8:12:35 AM12/26/14
to TiddlyWiki
Dear All,

TiddlyWiki is like a card index, and a tiddler like an index card.

Zettelkasten is German for card index box. The term is closely associated with German sociologist Niklas Luhmann whose text about his  Zettelkasten has been recently translated into English by philosophy academic Manfred Kuehn.

Manfred Kuehn is a long time user of electronic note-taking technology and he describes his journey to is tool of choice, Connected Text

I found out about Zettelkasten on this TiddlyWiki list. Luhman recommends that ones zettelkasten should have the inbuilt capacity to surprise, the same coud perhaps be said for a social system dedicated to the design and application of a personal non-linear note book

Alex

Alex

RichShumaker

Dec 26, 2014, 12:34:46 PM12/26/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
From Alex
I found out about Zettelkasten on this TiddlyWiki list. Luhman recommends that ones zettelkasten should have the inbuilt capacity to surprise, the same coud perhaps be said for a social system dedicated to the design and application of a personal non-linear note book

First Thanks Alex for the additional link and information
Second I like the idea of 'surprise' and I was looking into doing a 'random' tiddler feature.
I have a friend who had a ? at his site and when you hit it you would get random stuff, it was fun and cool.
I know that the concept that Niklas Luhmann was discussing was more of 'Wow we didn't know those were connected' surprises so not the same idea as a random button.

Rich Shumaker

Terri McLaughlin

Dec 27, 2014, 7:44:14 PM12/27/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

I had mentioned looking for a "zettelkasten" in the "how did you find TiddlyWiki?" thread. The two philosophies seem to suit each other nicely. Being able to re-contextualize notes in a few clicks helps this "communication" he suggested. For instance I realized that six unrelated books I had taken notes from had a similar sub-theme that I'm now exploring... this is partly from using very broad tags, and partly just from revisiting tiddlers.

If you're looking for more information, Christian Tietze has written extensively about zettelkastens as well. He summarizes the idea in the link below. Another to check out is the "Pile of Index Cards" setup that incorporates ideas from GTD.

http://christiantietze.de/posts/2013/06/zettelkasten-improves-thinking-writing/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hawkexpress/sets/72157594200490122/

RichShumaker

Dec 29, 2014, 3:11:56 PM12/29/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Terri for the links.
I created the start of my own Zettelkasten.
I really like the idea of creating a basic infrastructure around the ideas put forward for the Zettelkasten.
My personal favorite is the Random stuff.
I also have done a lot of editing while putting details into my systems and I need to do less of that with this concept.

Here is the testbed I created to work on more of these ideas.
http://www.richshumaker.com/tw5/zettelkasten-RS-One.htm - RS-One are my initials and I have a feeling I will have to make several versions.

Thanks again Alex for bringing this back up for discussion.
I think TiddlyWiki was made for Zettelkasten or is that Zettelkasten was made for TiddlyWiki.

Rich Shumaker

Alex Hough

Dec 30, 2014, 7:18:38 AM12/30/14
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Teri,

I agree, TW and Zettlekasten are great partners.

I was thinking about the ongoing discussions around TW marketing, branding and communicating identity. I am finding myself reading about Luhman, hoping that it will inform my own design.

I'll collect them together of course, but part of the joy (if you like) of being involved with the various TW systems is working out the perfect way to do this. And of course the more I read about Luhman's Z. , then the more I am questioning my own approach.

Here [1] is the latest i found

Alex

RichShumaker

Dec 31, 2014, 2:49:10 PM12/31/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Alex I would be interested in your work in progress TiddlyWiki when you set it up if you wouldn't mind sharing.
As you can tell I started one of my own to mirror the principles set forth in Zettlekasten.

Thank you for bringing this concept up as I find it very interesting and useful.

Rich Shumaker

Alex Hough

Dec 31, 2014, 5:30:42 PM12/31/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Rich,

You've seen my work in progress - posts to here and some garbled speaking on a hangout!

I've created a few new tiddlers in a new disorganised style, I am reluctant to start again with my node TiddlyWiki.

I've had an idea to test TiddlyWiki as Zettlekasten -  ZettelkastenCookBook. I think sharing content arround cooking would've easier than personal stuff.

For the past year I've been using a large sketch book for my personal notes. The plan --a few months ago -- was to wikify my sketchbook. I am starting to think that the best approach for me is to take phtos of the book and continue from there.

I am also intererested in systems theory, and by chance, Luhman was referenced in a paper I was reading about Place Management. So I was delighted to have a coincidence arround Luhman when I read about his Zetlekesten.

I am also interested in the work and method of Ross Ashby. His card index and notebooks have been put online by the British Commputer Society. I am fascinated by his law of requisite variety and how variety relates to complexity and its unfolding in general and in relation to design.

Best wishes

Alex

RichShumaker

Dec 31, 2014, 7:50:12 PM12/31/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Wow Alex that is more awesome stuff to read about.
I actually did just what you are talking about myself and it is the reason I am back with TW5 in a big way.
I am writing a book, unfortunately my book is in 3 or 4 places.
One happens to be a Moleskine journal.  So I took images of every page and dumped them into TW.
Then I am taking those pages and converting them to txt and TW Markup.
I also have an old Wiki of data and a new ipad app of data that I also created.
So I am still in the process of massaging all that data to TiddlyWiki including [[bracketing content]] and Tagging content.

That will lead the book in the direction once I see how the data pools and where holes are for me.
At that point I will start writing the final drafts inside TW as well.

Thank you again.

Rich Shumaker

Alex Hough

Jan 1, 2015, 2:47:56 AM1/1/15
to TiddlyWiki
Rich,

Here's some links and comments, non linear notes - not as neat and tidy as they should be when posting here? How neat should notes be anyway? Interesting questions.... but now the "meat"

!! Ross Ashby -

The big shame about this site is that it uses frames, so you can't link to the cards, it's an early website where the URL doesn't change.

He's archive is interesting and possibly useful as it contains a life's work of notebooks and index cards and also that he was amongst the first to think about electronic brains. Click on "Design for Brain" under the index.

!! Requisite Variety (RV)

RV is a concept used by designers.

A designer talks about Ashby's concept of RV

Alex

workflow notes:

I typed the above into gmail. I would be great if it ended up in my TW, though IFTT or another path
Gmail and TW - two tools often used hand in hand?

Having said that, it's easy to cut and paste email into TW... but I want the whole thread - or just the latest

--------

RichShumaker

Jan 1, 2015, 2:24:06 PM1/1/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Funny you should mention IFTTT as it came up this week in the Hangout.
Having a link to and from IFTTT would open up the flood gates to the outside world.

Looks like the IFTTT environment is closed so I didn't find an API and it seems you need to apply to work with them.
I found another IFTTT type app called Zapier but they are a fee based service, Free for a certain level but pricing is pretty high per month beyond the free service.

There was also a discussion of using TW as the front end for Email this week as well on the Hangout.
The more I use TW the more I wonder why everyone doesn't.
I know when I was on a tablet or phone it was more difficult to use.

Thanks again for the reading material Alex.
Still catching up from yesterday, #heheh.

Rich Shumaker