Unlikely the Last word in saving - Single File Wikis for Newbies - First Encounter

TonyM

Dec 6, 2019, 8:39:40 PM12/6/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

This is a renewed thread of  The last word in Saving?

This post is also seeking input from the community to overcome what I perceive to be the last big issue in saving. It may seem only suited to experienced users but perhaps you know something we don't, so please be brave and contribute.

How do we enable saving tiddlywikis for naive and casual users?*

  • Please find attached most of material in the previous thread in a TiddlyWIki (Rename to html)
  • A great deal of observation, innovation and opinion was voiced in the previous thread and it will take time to digest
  • However some methods came to light that had being forgotten, and insight to new and better methods can be "read between the lines"
  • I Will make a contribution in the first reply
Admin please Pin (unpin previous).

Tony

The Last Word in Saving.tw

TonyM

Dec 6, 2019, 9:24:05 PM12/6/19
to TiddlyWiki
Folks,

With such diverse views and threads it is hard to run arguments for and against all the information rich approaches; Here are some ideas that are prominent in my mind;

Minimalist local application
  • What is we had one universal application that can be installed on all Operating systems that was little more than file association application that would perhaps open a .tw file.
  • On opening a tiddlywiki the app could identify (or user registers) the various methods to access and update a tiddlywiki and either open an application (Eg TiddlyDesktop), file address (Fire Fox and Timimi) or a URI designed to access one or more available servers, browser (with plugin) or even twexe to launch access and save.
  • Eg; If TiddlyServer, bob.exe, TiddlyDesktop etc... generate a command line that would open the wiki in an available method. See TWExe as a possible example.
  • If this app was always used to open tiddlywikis on a desktop then it could manage tiddlywiki locks or even simple authentication.
Local cache server delivered wikis. TiddlyServer/Node/Bob and BobEXE servers, Bob FileSaver plugin.
  • If one or all of these  could be developed further to allow an in browser wiki to continue running pending a server reconnect, even to be able to return to an address in the browser and load the disconnected wiki, then user may be able to browse to the wiki via a mobile/desktop/tablet on the LAN and leave that LAN, with knowledge it will remain in the device browser and resave or sync on return to the network.
  • The server would thus act as synchronization point, and any browser can act as the client without fear of loss or specific saving mechanism installed (except access to the server (Which could be hard coded in the Wiki) eg try and sync with 192.168.1.84:8080 .
  • This would be a tiddlywiki sync server
Smart installers
  • A Feature rich installer that can install and configure one of a number of installations on each Operating system
  • Download the installer and work through its options, edit in browser, local app, via bob or tiddlyserver or node.
  • Driven not by technical questions but functionality questions using Operating system, application and Browser availability to present the choices and change the instalation path
  • Rerun to add/remove another configuration.
  • Provide access to a read only (as a minimum) tiddlywiki with all systems install instructions local copy and latest on the Internet.
  • Instructions for mobile installs including a app version of Or a similar exe with other servers available?

TiddlyClip
  • Perhaps a version of tiddlyclip that required a browser plugin only (For each browser) but could act as a saver for any wiki in that browser
  • Can we get the save mechanism to call an extension in the browser to save and/or load a wiki on the local file system via a "docked wiki"?
  • Offers the ability to create an EXE on windows (and linux?) or compile a wiki into an application, however exe's can't be easily distributed except on file shares and there is no mechanism to deal with possible contention.
  • What if it could be loaded with a wiki but not reloaded, ie distribute an exe that CANNOT have a second wiki dropped on it.
  • What if TWExe owned .tw extensions?
  • Or a similar exe with other servers available?
GITHub (maybe still too complex)
  • If wikis could be forked, hosted and automatically rebuilt with changes whilst still having an interactive front end this would be great for open tiddlywiki editions.

Still more possibilities were raised in the previous thread.

Regards
Tony