The-book weekly report

Luis Gonzalez

Dec 12, 2019, 7:41:06 AM12/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
This week I've been focused on the widgets chapter.

I am a little worried about the way to orient this chapter. I've tried to apply a progressive approach, from easy to complex. The goal of this chapter is not explaining the widgets one by one.

I need your help in two ways:
  1. Read sections 1 to 6. Are they understandable? Something is missing?
  2. I have fill the section 7, "Writing your own widgets " with information of the Tiddlywiky and Tiddlywiki dev sites, but it is a simple copy-paste, I still don't understand this topic well. I need that someone rewrite this section with easy instructions.

PLEASE, HELP ME!!

Thanks
The_Book.pdf

Mohammad

Dec 12, 2019, 8:25:38 AM12/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Luis,
 TW-Scripts is a good place to see examples and brief explanation on some element behavior.

--Mohammad

TonyM

Dec 12, 2019, 11:55:22 PM12/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Luis,

Thanks so much for your work. Here is my own comments reviewing the beginning of the document.

  1. I like the front page but the possibility of server tiddlywiki's beyond the single file version may be worthy of mention.
  2. On page 9 I think it fair to describe the long journey but I think it worth emphasising each step reveals more power and control to create.  Its a long journey with benifits around every corner - lest to scare some people off thinking they need to become a master to achieve anything. Another value is its constructed from the most popular internet technologies HTML, CSS and Javascript in use so you learn reusable skills.
  3. Page 11.
    1. This is called Wikitext (a version of markdown and more)
    2. change "tiddler inside other tiddler" to "tiddler inside another tiddler"
  4. Page 12. Perhaps at the top right, or in another diagram we could show how the view and edit template can be used to "see" the tiddler consisting of title, content, tags and field elements. They Have > elements > view through >View
    > edit
    > or custom template
  5. Page 14
    1. change "Tiddlywiki promote information sharing." to "Tiddlywiki's promote information sharing" or "Tiddlywiki promotes information sharing"
    2. Where is says "Content:“This is the content of the tiddler”. perhaps add (this is the "text" field)
    3. Change "tiddler in edition mode:" to "tiddler in edit mode:"
  6. Page 15
    1. Change "The format toolbar" to "The editor Toolbar" (official name)
    2. at the end of 5.1.2 last paragraph you could add "or look in the recent tab".
    3. Rather than "Open the tiddler $:/TagManager" . perhaps have "SideBar > Tools > Tag manager or Open the tiddler $:/TagManager"
  7. Page 16
    1. Change to something like this "A tiddler has fields. There are system fields like the created and modified date (hidden) but you can add your own ones."
      This could refer to https://tiddlywiki.com/#TiddlerFields
    2. 5.1.6 change "Other example: you can make a link of a tiddler inside other tiddler writting [[ Tiddler Title Linked]]."
      to "Another example: you can make a link to a tiddler inside other tiddler writing [[Tiddler Title Linked]]." Note also removed a leading space in "[[Tiddler Title Linked]]"
    3. 1.5.7
      1. I would remove the spaces from the examples as they will not work like that.
      2. It would be of value to say if one tiddler transcludes, another tiddler that transcludes another ... it will work but avoid infinite loops (Or something better)
    4. 1.5.8
      1. Where is says "They (View and Edit templates) are tiddlers." you could add, and Special tags $:/tags/ViewTemplate and $:/tags/EditTemplate can be placed on any tiddler to make it appear in view or edit modes.
      2. I would add "Various other templates are and can be used in tiddlywiki. The View and Edit templates above, are however the most important to designing your tiddlywiki.
    5. 1.5.11 Changed to  "1.5.11 Mechanisms"
      1. All Change to "elements of tiddlywiki fit together through a number of mechanisms."
    6. 1.5.12
      1. Change "so the manage of list" to "so the management of lists"
      2. Check other grammar in this section
I will post more

Regards
Tony

TonyM

Dec 12, 2019, 11:57:05 PM12/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Luis,

Can I open with Google Docs and apply changes to help edit this?

Regards
Tony

Luis Gonzalez

Dec 13, 2019, 3:59:53 AM12/13/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. This helps me very much.

I edit the text wit Lyx, a free easy open source Latex editor. It produces high quality pdfs. I have a repository with the files of The-book in https://github.com/kewapo/The-Tiddlywiki-Manual

If you or other people want to edit the The_Book.lyx file tell me. I will divide the file into chapters, a chapter in a file so that you can work independently with each of them.

Lyx editor.png

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 13, 2019, 5:40:51 AM12/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Luis

I wonder what we'd need to do to replicate "Lyx" in a set of TW parsers?

Just a thought
TT

Luis Gonzalez

Dec 13, 2019, 7:59:44 AM12/13/19
to TiddlyWiki

I wonder what we'd need to do to replicate "Lyx" in a set of TW parsers?

I don't understand. You can download Lyx from https://www.lyx.org/. Is a Windows / Linux / Mac / ... application you have to install to use it. Lyx needs a installed latex in the computer like Miktex.

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 13, 2019, 8:10:07 AM12/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
I don't understand.

Sorry, I meant doing natively in TiddlyWiki what  https://www.lyx.org/ does.

It is a text format really, not a program per se.

I was  thinking IF in TiddlyWiki we could use "parsers" to do that format?

Best wishes
TT

Ste Wilson

Dec 14, 2019, 4:01:06 PM12/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Would it be possible to use overleaf.com to help collaboration and editing luis?

Luis Gonzalez

Dec 15, 2019, 9:58:06 AM12/15/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Now I realize that my choice of editor is a big problem to collaborate, so I am thinking of another approach.

As the most important is the content, it may be more operative to create a wiki so that we can all collaborate more easily. Then I will pass everything to pdf.

I will start a Tiddlywiki with all chapters, drawings etc. But, tell me please: What platform do we have to choose to make collaboration easier?

This week I will pass everything I already have in Lyx to a wiki.. This will be  a big effort, but I want this book to be everyone's job.

Thanks!!
This support gives me a lot of energy to continue with the project

Ste Wilson

Dec 15, 2019, 2:10:24 PM12/15/19
to TiddlyWiki
Overleaf would allow you to continue to use latex but you can invite others to work on the document. It's browser based so no downloads needed.

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 16, 2019, 10:30:53 AM12/16/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Luis

If you decide to do this in TW you might want to add a version control system so YOU can evaluate changes: for example https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/J-eYE8N68lE/_h8szdHDHQAJ

Best wishes
TT

Chuck R.

Dec 19, 2019, 6:36:23 AM12/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi, I'm the local newbie new to TW5. I'm currently using it to collect studies on various topics so I will take a look at your section you requested.

Widgets is Ch 9.

Chuck R.

Dec 19, 2019, 6:51:06 AM12/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
Some feedback:

I made a tiddler with 3 tasks as a todo list. Then marked one task as checked, saved the tiddler, closed the tiddler, and reopened it. My checkmark was now gone. Can you add a sentence in chapter 9.2 that notes checkmarks are not saved in the tiddler?

TonyM

Dec 19, 2019, 5:12:25 PM12/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
Luis,

Han I suggest in future "The-book weekly report" you add a Date?

eg: The-book weekly report 2019-12-12

Regards
Tony

Luis Gonzalez

Dec 20, 2019, 2:24:50 AM12/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
The widgets chapter is still in first writing. I have to read and rewrite it.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Luis Gonzalez

Dec 20, 2019, 2:25:26 AM12/20/19
to TiddlyWiki