"Python 2.7 will reach the end of its life on January 1st, 2020" Message for tiddlywebplugins.twimport

Birgit Ducarroz

Jun 21, 2019, 6:36:46 AM6/21/19
to TiddlyWeb
Hi,

We actuelly still use the webtiddly because it's a fine thing.
Nevertheless, migrating to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and re-installing  the webtiddly (which still works) shows me actuelly the message:
DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 will reach the end of its life on January 1st, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 won't be maintained after that date. A future version of pip will drop support for Python 2.7.

I used some old links to install, like

They still work.

Is there actually a newer version or more recent links to install the webtiddly or will we arrive to an end of life when Python 2.7 will not be compatible any more in some years?

Regards,
Birgit

chris...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2019, 7:34:01 AM6/21/19
to 'Birgit Ducarroz' via TiddlyWeb
On Fri, 21 Jun 2019, 'Birgit Ducarroz' via TiddlyWeb wrote:

> Is there actually a newer version or more recent links to install the
> webtiddly or will we arrive to an end of life when Python 2.7 will not be
> compatible any more in some years?

Python 2.7 support will stop in January.

Support stopping doesn't mean that Python 2.7 will disappear, just
that the Python project will no longer be fixing bugs or security
issues with that version. It is likely that some linux distributions
will continue to have Python 2.7 available.

However, it is a good idea to switch over to 3.

Some parts of the tiddlyweb ecosystem have been updated to work with
Python 3, but not all.

This is mostly because there hasn't been much attention or demand to
pieces beyond the core tiddlyweb package, or any of the plugins that
I used when creating [tank](https://tank.peermore.com/).

If you can provide me with a list of the tiddly-related Python
packages that you are using, I can do a bit of research to figure
out which ones still need work to run with Python 3, and the level
of effort that will be involved.

The command `pip list |grep tiddly` will give you a list of the
tiddly-related packages that are installed, but it would be useful
to filter that list by those you are actually using, in case you
have some which are not relevant.

--
Chris Dent https://anticdent.org/
[...]

Birgit Ducarroz

Jun 25, 2019, 6:19:16 AM6/25/19
to TiddlyWeb
Thank you.

This is what we actually use:
tiddlyweb                     2.4.2
tiddlywebplugins
.atom         1.4.6
tiddlywebplugins
.cherrypy     0.2.0
tiddlywebplugins
.console      0.3.0
tiddlywebplugins
.differ       0.6.4
tiddlywebplugins
.imaker       0.1.5
tiddlywebplugins
.pkgstore     0.3
tiddlywebplugins
.status       0.9
tiddlywebplugins
.templates    0.9.7
tiddlywebplugins
.twimport     1.1.1
tiddlywebplugins
.utils        1.10
tiddlywebplugins
.wimporter    0.10.0
tiddlywebwiki
0.69.0

Here is my installation script which works fine with an Ubuntu 18.04LTS.
For anyone who tries to use it: I copied the folder /etc/mod_wsgi-express-8000/ from a former installation
# Install webtiddly
apt
-y install python-pip
/usr/bin/pip install -U pip
#pip --version
pip install pyopenssl ndg
-httpsclient pyasn1
apt
-y install libffi-dev
pip install cryptography
pip install pyopenssl ndg
-httpsclient pyasn1 --upgrade
pip install
-U tiddlywebwiki
pydoc setuptools
| grep -A1 "FILE\|VERSION"
pip install
-U setuptools
apt
-y install apache2
a2dismod mpm_event
a2enmod mpm_prefork
systemctl restart apache2
#https://pypi.org/project/mod-wsgi-httpd/
pip install
-v mod_wsgi-httpd
pip install
-U mod_wsgi

twinstance
/home/data/www-sysadmin/protected/00_documentation/01_sysadmin/tiddly-web-sysadmin-2019
apt
-y install libapache2-mod-wsgi
cd
/home/data/www-sysadmin/protected/00_documentation/01_sysadmin/tiddly-web-sysadmin-2019 && wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tiddlyweb/tiddlyweb/master/wsgiapp.py
pip install tiddlywebplugins
.twimport
pip install
-i https://pypi.binstar.org/pypi/simple tiddlywebplugins.twimport
cd
/home/data/www-sysadmin/protected/00_documentation/01_sysadmin/tiddly-web-sysadmin-2019 && wget https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/t/tiddlywebplugins.wimporter/tiddlywebplugins.wimporter-0.10.0.tar.gz
cd
/home/data/www-sysadmin/protected/00_documentation/01_sysadmin/tiddly-web-sysadmin-2019 && tar -zxvf tiddlywebplugins.wimporter-0.10.0.tar.gz
cd
/home/data/www-sysadmin/protected/00_documentation/01_sysadmin/tiddly-web-sysadmin-2019/tiddlywebplugins.wimporter-0.10.0 && python setup.py install
pip install
-U tiddlywebplugins.wimporter
pip install
-i https://pypi.binstar.org/pypi/simple tiddlywebplugins.wimporter
twinstance
/home/data/www-sysadmin/protected/00_documentation/01_sysadmin/tiddly-web-sysadmin-2019
cd
/home/data/www-sysadmin/protected/00_documentation/01_sysadmin/tiddly-web-sysadmin-2019
cat
> /etc/init.d/modwsgi-express << %H
#!/bin/bash

echo
-n "Starting mod_wsgi-express for internal techdittly..."
/etc/mod_wsgi-express-8000/apachectl start
echo
"."
#EOF
%H
chmod a
+x /etc/init.d/modwsgi-express
cd
/etc/rc2.d/ && ln -s /etc/init.d/modwsgi-express S20modwsgi-express
/etc/mod_wsgi-express-8000/apachectl stop
/etc/mod_wsgi-express-8000/apachectl start

chris...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2019, 3:03:57 AM7/3/19
On Tue, 25 Jun 2019, 'Birgit Ducarroz' via TiddlyWeb wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> This is what we actually use:
> tiddlyweb 2.4.2
> tiddlywebplugins.atom 1.4.6
> tiddlywebplugins.cherrypy 0.2.0
> tiddlywebplugins.console 0.3.0
> tiddlywebplugins.differ 0.6.4
> tiddlywebplugins.imaker 0.1.5
> tiddlywebplugins.pkgstore 0.3
> tiddlywebplugins.status 0.9
> tiddlywebplugins.templates 0.9.7
> tiddlywebplugins.twimport 1.1.1
> tiddlywebplugins.utils 1.10
> tiddlywebplugins.wimporter 0.10.0
> tiddlywebwiki 0.69.0

Thanks for this list and apologies for my late response. I've made
an issue in the tiddlyweb repo to act as a sort of parent issue to
track this work:

https://github.com/tiddlyweb/tiddlyweb/issues/109

I will try to check and update these as I have time. As with so many
people these days, time is scarce, so it may take me a while. If
there are other people who are able and willing to help, please let
me know.

Birgit Ducarroz

Jul 3, 2019, 3:44:51 AM7/3/19
to TiddlyWeb
Thanks for your response and for opening a new issue. I see no urgency since actually everything works fine.
However, for future releases of Ubuntu and Python it would be really nice to have updated versions.
In case I find someone who could help with this, I let you know. As for me, I am not really experienced in Python.
Regards,
Birgit

chris...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2019, 9:57:15 AM7/18/19
On Wed, 3 Jul 2019, 'Birgit Ducarroz' via TiddlyWeb wrote:

> Thanks for your response and for opening a new issue. I see no urgency
> since actually everything works fine.
> However, for future releases of Ubuntu and Python it would be really nice
> to have updated versions.
> In case I find someone who could help with this, I let you know. As for me,
> I am not really experienced in Python.

I started looking into this, randomly picking that twp.atom module
as a starting point and I didn't make much in the way of immediate
headway: While some of the modules can be made to work with some
fiddling about, getting them to pass their tests is challenging
because we were in the habit back then of using the other twp
modules in testing. This has led to a sort spider's web of
interdependencies. Teasing that out is going to take some thought.

Also, some of the underlying modules (such as the python markdown
module) have changed their APIs.

So, one thing that would help is if you (and other people who are
intersted in this problem) could indicate which of the modules
listed at

>> https://github.com/tiddlyweb/tiddlyweb/issues/109

you actually use directly (not simply in the environment) that would
be helpful.

Birgit Ducarroz

Jul 23, 2019, 4:44:58 AM7/23/19
to TiddlyWeb

I started looking into this, randomly picking that twp.atom module
as a starting point and I didn't make much in the way of immediate
headway: While some of the modules can be made to work with some
fiddling about, getting them to pass their tests is challenging
because we were in the habit back then of using the other twp
modules in testing. This has led to a sort spider's web of
interdependencies. Teasing that out is going to take some thought.

Also, some of the underlying modules (such as the python markdown
module) have changed their APIs.

So, one thing that would help is if you (and other people who are
intersted in this problem) could indicate which of the modules
listed at

>>     https://github.com/tiddlyweb/tiddlyweb/issues/109

you actually use directly (not simply in the environment) that would
be helpful.
I checked a bit around and found that we actively use these ones:

tiddlywebplugins.wimporter
tiddlywebplugins.twimport
tiddlywebplugins.templates

I am not sure if the other ones listed are in a direct relation with the ones we use or if our tiddly would break if the other ones would not be installed. Is there a way to identify this?
We basically add / remove / change tiddlers, we also use the backstage - safe function. I changed a lot of stuff in the template and we also import sometimes some tiddlers from a local html tiddlywiki.

Please tell me if this information is helpful for you.

Birgit Ducarroz

Jun 9, 2020, 8:51:13 AM6/9/20
to TiddlyWeb
Hi Chris,

I just wanted to ask you if you have some news about this issue?
Unfortunately I'm not programming in Python, so I can't really help you.
Regards,
Birgit

chris...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2020, 11:11:48 AM6/9/20
On Tue, 9 Jun 2020, 'Birgit Ducarroz' via TiddlyWeb wrote:

> I just wanted to ask you if you have some news about this issue?
> Unfortunately I'm not programming in Python, so I can't really help you.

I've not made any progress on this but I still hope to get to it as
some point. It's been a challenging year in many ways, as I'm sure
it has for you too.

While python 2 is no longer being actively maintained, it's not
actually disappearing off the planet, so it will still be possible
to continue using things that are working with Python 2 for a while
longer.